Rain Bibs or Pants.?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I plan on fishing, from a pram, on my local lakes on the wetside, all Winter this year. I need to get some rain pants. What do you prefer, bibs or pants. I'll be doing a lot of sitting not producing much body heat. Would I really need breathable material or would cheaper fabric suffice.? Should I chop the stocking feet of my old waders and use them.? 🤔

CRO

Steelhead
If you plan on sitting alot i would suggest that you get some thing that is both durable and waterproof in a bib. Most of the wear is going to be in the seat.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have an ancient set of Helly Hanson rain bibs that stll do yeoman's duty for the fishing you describe. They're heavy, not breathable, but they keep me dry. I do wear a goretex raincoat, since rowing produces some upper body heat. Old waders make good rain bibs if they're fairly loose fitting, i.e., enough room to slide the pee jug in there for convenient urination.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For years, I wore PVC rain pants while fishing lakes in the winter. Not super comfortable, but they do a great job of keeping me dry and are excellent at cutting wind chill.
SF

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys, you made my decision easy. I ordered budget chest waders. I don't wade much anymore since getting a pram and feel budget waders should work fine for the few times I hit the beach. My current waders are old and patched together so I'll convert them to bib rain pants. Thanks again...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I like PVC for in the boat. Breathable membranes are good when you’re pumping heat and vapor out, as in when you’re active. When you’re just sitting there all day, occasionally casting, they don’t work as well. Bibs are good, too. More coverage.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Rechargeable electric hand warmer was a $35 game changer for me last winter. I didn't use it for my hands, usually held it inside my waders for general warmth. Depending on how high you set it, lasts up to 6 hours of so on a charge.

And always bibs if it's an option.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
waders are old and patched together so I'll convert them to bib rain pants.
I did that. Rain ran down my jacket and poured onto my legs, leaking through all the inseam fixes and patch edges. But at least I stayed warm that day. Just too far gone. Hope it works out for you, seems like the perfect way to get extra life if they are up to it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have an ancient set of Helly Hanson rain bibs that stll do yeoman's duty for the fishing you describe. They're heavy, not breathable, but they keep me dry. I do wear a goretex raincoat, since rowing produces some upper body heat. Old waders make good rain bibs if they're fairly loose fitting, i.e., enough room to slide the pee jug in there for convenient urination.
My decades old Helly Hanson bibs are ugly, stained and bulletproof waterproof. I wear them with insulated rubber boots and either a matching HH jacket or Goretex jacket.

If I’m launching my trailered pram alone I wear pant waders and booties.