Quiet wind/rain jacket

RCF

Life of the Party
Today would be a good day to try them out. Wind gusts to 50mph and raining sideways...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
A friend of my brothers is a rep for sitka. They are of a similar build (ie not a fatfuck like me) so my brother gets his buddy's old gear when he gets the new line. That stuff is damn near silent, sitting in a turkey blind with him really highlighted it for me. He could move freely without a sound. I couldnt breathe without a swish
My son was just showing me his Sitka waterfowl hunting jacket, quite spendy, want to say like $600, but extreamly nice. Quiet as can be. He says it works great. I got a Jetstream Beanie for my birthday and after a couple outings I really like it, fleece lined gore tex.
Roper, a rag wool cap, alone or over your ball cap, reduces noise I've noticed. You may get warmer though.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Roper - excuse my thread drift (I'm not alone on this one, eh?). A couple months ago I posted a question on the forum about rain jackets for my trip to Alaska and got lots of GREAT responses. I ended up buying a Gore-Tex Guide Classic (Simms): it worked as designed, it kept me dry in absolute downpours. Quiet? Not so much - the first day of its real test of how waterproof the jacket is, I was fishing the saltwater - I had my head on a swivel every day (those pesky coastal brown bears, you know?) but that hood (with a ball cap and buff) was a bit noisy which might have masked predator sounds..... The hood noise was absolutely nothing compared to the sound of rain pouring onto my hood and into the bay. The rain was LOUD! That's one loud noise I'm planning on experiencing again next year but I might wear a fleece hat underneath the hood.... that sounds (pun) like a great idea.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I have a Rivers West jacket and fleece beanie/cap that I've had for over 10 years for hunting and fishing and for anything wet/rainy. It is quiet and has been and still is 100% waterproof. It is a little on the heavy side though. I mainly wear a gortex jacket fly fishing in the rain as it's a bit lighter in weight.