Questions about older rods

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Since I'm trying to gear up again after a brush with death, I've learned I'm pretty stupid about older rods. I'm looking for Scott and Winston and Sage rods from before they became super- and ultra-fast actions, but I can't sort them out. I'm looking for a somewhat slower action - but faster than glass - to fit what I'm capable of these days - but I can't match an action to a rod to save my life. Is this information available somewhere? Books? Websites? Anywhere?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
First, it's great to learn that you're on the top side of the grass.

Scott offers the Centric, which is stiffer than a fireplace poker. But they also make the G Series, that I have in a 6 wt. Definitely faster than glass, but is nice and easy going - to me - and a bit faster than Redington's Classic Trout, of which I have two, and love them both. The only Sage trout rod I have is an of LL series, so I don't know any other Sage models that aren't stiff fast action rods. Don't know about Winston either.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
In graphite, they call them moderate action now..such as Redington Classic Trout or Temple Fork Axiom, etc...
Thank you. I understand that designation, but I'm not searching for a moderate action like the Redington CT. I'm after something more moderate-fast leaning towards fast. This will be a steelhead rod for small rivers - too small to bring out a spey setup.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yellowstone Angler Shootout archives? Don’t know for certain but I believe they may go back a couple years. What you are seeking sounds like a possible fit could be a Loomis GLX or Streamdance GLX, Sage Z-Axis?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thank you. I understand that designation, but I'm not searching for a moderate action like the Redington CT. I'm after something more moderate-fast leaning towards fast. This will be a steelhead rod for small rivers - too small to bring out a spey setup.

Sage RPL 796-4 or 896-4.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Are you locked into older rods? A few years ago I made a trip down the canyon and test casted several rods; the rod I thought I wanted I didn't like at all, it felt like @Salmo_g's fireplace poker (or perhaps a telephone pole). I was surprised by a rod the store brought out to test, it was sweet. I bought it for well under $300.00 (It wasn't a Sage or Winston).

@Stonedfish suggests two rods, here's one of them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1759889331...6Atadi4Wp49IPXgTl5IYOxxA==|tkp:Bk9SR_bXx8ntYg

flybill

Life of the Party
I wouldn't look for "Old rods" unless you have a better idea of what you need, based on your casting and fishing needs. I would stop by a fly shop or two, cast some rods and see what works. Not all Sage, Winston, Orvis or major manufacturers are fast action. Some are medium fast and you won't really know how you like it until you cast them.

I can tell you what I would personally look for, but that means little, since I haven't seen you cast or fish.

Enjoy your search! Best fishes@

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Sage RPL 796-4 or 896-4.
SF
Thank you. I've seen a couple a good deals on the RPL, but didn't know enough about them to take the plunge.

I'm in Port Orford, Oregon. The closest - absolute closest - fly shop is in Eugene, Oregon, a four-and-a-half hour drive. That's why I'm asking the forum about how the rods feel to you. You use them (or have used them) and for all the years I've been on that old forum or this new one, you've all always been a great resource.

Thanks to all of you.

Zak

Legend
Thank you. I've seen a couple a good deals on the RPL, but didn't know enough about them to take the plunge.

I'm in Port Orford, Oregon. The closest - absolute closest - fly shop is in Eugene, Oregon, a four-and-a-half hour drive. That's why I'm asking the forum about how the rods feel to you. You use them (or have used them) and for all the years I've been on that old forum or this new one, you've all always been a great resource.

Thanks to all of you.
I primarily fish with an older Sage 486-2 LL and 690-2 RPL. The LL is by far my favorite rod, but more moderate/slow than moderate/fast.

The RPL is faster than the LL, but feels like it has a soft tip. That makes it great for nymphing, but I feel like when I'm casting a heavily weighted fly (or sinking head line) with the RPL I get an unwelcome slingshot/bouncy action.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I found this online awhile back when shopping for vintage Sage rods. Might be useful to you.

Ooops it's a Word.doc, I can't attach it. I'll see if I can screen shot some pages. It's basically the evolution of the Sage lineup from beginning to today.

Attachments

• Sage Evolution of models PG_1.jpg
    Sage Evolution of models PG_1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Sage Evolution of models PG_2.jpg
    Sage Evolution of models PG_2.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Sage Evolution of models PG_3.jpg
    Sage Evolution of models PG_3.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Sage Evolution of models PG_4.jpg
    Sage Evolution of models PG_4.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Sage Evolution of models PG_5.jpg
    Sage Evolution of models PG_5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 36

RCF

Life of the Party
Ever since the pandemic older rod prices have skyrocketed to more than the original cost of the rod when new. Rods I have bought for $150 before the pandemic are now $400+. Sheesh!!! Not worth it when one can buy a brand new rod for the same or less...

FYI - Rods from Loomis that are labeled IM6 or Winston IM6 or WT are true moderate action rods. They are slower that Sage's RPL.

Today's moderately priced rods are every bit as good as the high priced rods for most fisher people. Redington and Echo make some nice rods that are moderately priced. Also by buying a new rod you will have a warranty whereas buying used you may or may not. Also buying new they will be 3 or 4 piece rods ---> what most people what nowadays.

As others have mentioned, trying out a rod is important to match your style and skills. Also the definition of fast action has changed over time. With the new rods becoming faster, what used to be fast is now moderately fast. Yup ---> lost and confused for sure. The real reason why casting before buying is so important.

Good luck in your hunt and let us know when you get your first steelhead tug

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Older graphite rods been a recent interest of mine, after my daughter and I received a couple of rods from a couple of grandfathers.

With that perspective, I’d say the Sage RPL is a lot faster than some other classic graphite, and it can be more challenging than I’d remembered. Watching my daughter cast an old Winston first and then the RPL drove home to me that the Sage is sort of a classic muscle car. (Or a 4-Runner?) RPL will always be my favorite rod (for sentimental reasons) but it’s not exactly what my kid is after, even though she’s a strong chick and a decent caster.

I’ve also decided the Carbon, Aetos, and Classic Trout are all very good rods. They’re just extremely functional, great value options — and really compare well with the high end rods of earlier years. All of this is based on trout rigs, and essentially zero experience with modern high-end rods, but these basic models seem like excellent tools.

The next rod I buy will be for small steelhead rivers — and almost certainly from Echo.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Thanks to all of you.

One thing to consider when looking at older rods is that fast of yesteryear might be a totally different thing when compared to todays rods.
The list of Sage rods that @Merle posted lists the Sage XP as fast. Having fished the older XP and a newer Sage X in the same model (697-4), the XP isn’t close to being fast compared to the X in my opinion. The XP feels medium fast to me by today’s standards. The RPL feels even slower then the XP to me.
Just something to consider when the action of older rods is referenced and of course someone’s preferred rod action / casting stroke is likely be different than others.
SF

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Older graphite rods been a recent interest of mine, after my daughter and I received a couple of rods from a couple of grandfathers.

With that perspective, I’d say the Sage RPL is a lot faster than some other classic graphite, and it can be more challenging than I’d remembered. Watching my daughter cast an old Winston first and then the RPL drove home to me that the Sage is sort of a classic muscle car. (Or a 4-Runner?) RPL will always be my favorite rod (for sentimental reasons) but it’s not exactly what my kid is after, even though she’s a strong chick and a decent caster.

I’ve also decided the Carbon, Aetos, and Classic Trout are all very good rods. They’re just extremely functional, great value options — and really compare well with the high end rods of earlier years. All of this is based on trout rigs, and essentially zero experience with modern high-end rods, but these basic models seem like excellent tools.

The next rod I buy will be for small steelhead rivers — and almost certainly from Echo.

I've owned a lot of Echo rods, and my salmon rod is an Echo 3swt. I like the ION XL 905/4, and gave mine to a son-in-law when he wanted to start fly fishing. I also had a Redington CT and don't know which kid ran off with it. And yes, the modern rods are a great value, and I haven't written them off, but so far, I haven't found the "right" one, if it even exists, so I'm looking for older rods to see if I can find a proper fit.

Ever since the pandemic older rod prices have skyrocketed to more than the original cost of the rod when new. Rods I have bought for $150 before the pandemic are now $400+. Sheesh!!! Not worth it when one can buy a brand new rod for the same or less...

Good luck in your hunt and let us know when you get your first steelhead tug

It's steelhead 29 :Tinker 0 right now. Not tugs; on-and-gone drive-bys. Mostly because of a very fast action rod and my timing on hooksets. Or at least that's my excuse.

I found this online awhile back when shopping for vintage Sage rods. Might be useful to you.

Ooops it's a Word.doc, I can't attach it. I'll see if I can screen shot some pages. It's basically the evolution of the Sage lineup from beginning to today.

Extremely helpful. Thanks ever so much!

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
RPL series rods are still nice casting rods for me, and the XP is also one I use still.
I loved my GFL 8113 8wt for Steelhead on smaller rivers, like the Wallace for instance, great casting and good mending rod. Not real fast action, but easily casts an entire sink tip line with a couple false casts. Some folks did not care for that model, but for me, it was an easy fishing rod even at 11'. Back when I got it, that was pretty long for a fishing pole.
;)