Questions about Fishpond Nomad Guide Nets

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks all.

Went with the Fishpond, "El Jefe Grande", based on input here and from my local Fly Shop, Fin and Fire. When I grabbed it, it just felt "right". In full disclosure, if I had not had the full price covered by gift cards, I probably wouldve balked at the Fishpond, but then again..............maybe not:):)!!!!

Happy 2024.

Bob

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
The el jefe grande is what i use and think its the perfect boat net.... You will like it. Did you get the clear or black netting?

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Brian in OR.,

I went with the clear netting. I think it will work very well for the lake but I will carry it for the Deschutes too. One of my guide friends swears its the best overall net and he uses it as a walking/ stabilizer/staff.

When I fish the Deschutes or walk/hike in any snakey area, I always bring my walking stick/wading staff. About every other step, I thump/tap the ground hard to ward off, or to warn me of,... snakes. Been doing that for about the last 35 plus years. Once last year, I got buzzed three times, in about 1/4 mile distance, near Mecca Flats.

Happy 2024.

Bob

Reactions: Zak

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Brian in OR.,

I went with the clear netting. I think it will work very well for the lake but I will carry it for the Deschutes too. One of my guide friends swears its the best overall net and he uses it as a walking/ stabilizer/staff.

When I fish the Deschutes or walk/hike in any snakey area, I always bring my walking stick/wading staff. About every other step, I thump/tap the ground hard to ward off, or to warn me of,... snakes. Been doing that for about the last 35 plus years. Once last year, I got buzzed three times, in about 1/4 mile distance, near Mecca Flats.

Happy 2024.

Bob
Make sure you get the little rubber cap so you don’t wreck the handle.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Have the Guide size, it's perfect size for boats. Hard to find now days. The Jr. guide would make a great boat net for trout.
Note: it doesn't float (saying that from experience), so add a little buoy on a carabiner to the end in case it goes over board.
PS, there's a guide size measure net at the bottom of dry falls just off from the point on the east side of the lake, in case any one wants to scuba diving for a well used/loved guide measure net....
Did you try using a grapple hook and a bit of weight to reach the bottom to troll in the area..? Worth a try as nets aren't cheap..

JLT

20 years late to the game
Forum Supporter
I had a fishpond nomad net tear and I reached out about a replacement. After a friendly dialogue they sent a deep basket net. The fit isn't perfect but it's substantially deeper. A hot wild steelhead wouldn't be be pretty but a hatchery fish would rest comfortably in the bag.