Questions About Commercial PS Salmon Fisheries

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
A few years ago I took a trip to fish a new to me beach in MA13. I was super bummed to see that there were over a dozen or so commercial boats netting near the shoreline all up and down the beach I had gone to. I’d like to give that spot a try again this weekend for coho but I don’t want a repeat of what happened last time.

I did my best to try and understand the commercial fishing regs but I still have a few questions and I’m hoping someone with better knowledge can help me out. Do tribal fisheries fall under the same rules posted as non-tribal commercial fisheries? Also, the area I’m looking at (11) is listed as a chum managed fishery. It looks like the season has “been canceled or delayed” through the month of October as stated in the regs. If reevaluated and opened up this would be posted in the general emergency rule changes correct?

I just don’t want to waste valuable time and energy into a location only to find a surprise floatilla of vessels within casting distance.

Thanks,
Dave

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Treaty tribal fisheries are not covered by WDFW non-treaty fishing regulations. Treaty tribes promulgate their own regulations for treaty fishing within each tribe's usual and accustomed fishing areas. Some tribes post their regulations on tribal websites; some don't.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Treaty tribal fisheries are not covered by WDFW non-treaty fishing regulations. Treaty tribes promulgate their own regulations for treaty fishing within each tribe's usual and accustomed fishing areas. Some tribes post their regulations on tribal websites; some don't.
Thanks for the explanation. I’ll try to dig around and see if I can find more info.