Question for you folks

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Morning,

I am getting older, weaker and wider. I was wondering if you all have used something like this and/or if you think it will be stout enough to allow me to move my driftboat in and out of my fenced in back yard.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Bob

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I have a 14' Lund that I store along side my house on a gravel pad. For years I used a dolly like that to drag my boat about 40' on a graveled path to my driveway. The return trip has a slight grade and about 5-8 years ago (I'm soon to be 62) I reached a point where my thighs weren't strong enough to push it back up the path. So depending upon how your yard is sloped, how soft the ground is, your leg strength, etc. this may or may not work for you.

My family got me one of these.
It works fairly well but it's not perfect, either. I'm 6' tall and needed extensions for the drill and handbrake/lever in order to save my back from being bent over while moving the boat around. I also ended up making some traction boards because the dolly tires would often slip or spin on the gravel.

If you got the loot, the company makes a remote controlled model that looks pretty sweet.

One thing I thought about doing (if you have the space to store yet one more thing) was getting an old riding mower without the mowing deck. (These show up around here from time to time for dirt cheap). Mount an appropriate sized ball on the back and then simply use the mower as a tractor to drag the boat around.

That's all I have to offer....good luck

Mike d

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Used one for two decades, pulling a variety of boats ranging from 16' to 21' 50 yards down the Gaviota pier to the launch hoist where we'd sling the boat up and over the side 20' into the water, and it worked great.

Last edited:

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the input guys.
Im debating between pnuematic tires or solid tires. Ive got to go through gravel, dirt and concrete. My brother in law a mechanic, is saying not to get the pnuematic tires.

I appreciate the help.

Bob

Reactions: M_D

RCF

Life of the Party
Used riding lawn mower. Mechanical power vs human power ---> easy choice especially when human power diminishes as one gets older (as you are experiencing).

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the input guys.
Im debating between pnuematic tires or solid tires. Ive got to go through gravel, dirt and concrete. My brother in law a mechanic, is saying not to get the pnuematic tires.

I appreciate the help.

Bob
I have that HF dolly and use it to maneuver my 17' boat in and out of a covered canopy along the side of my garage. I always have to be sure to air up the tires before using it so agree with your BIL that solid tires would be a good idea.
I'll also add that I'm moving it up and down a slight incline so always have a second person to help pushing it up and blocking the dolly wheels while moving down when necessary.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I got one when I was 62, I could’ve saved a lot of pain by getting one earlier. I have the pneumatic tires, but i use it in range of my compressor.

I have one of those dollys and didn't use it for about 1 year but now use it every time I move my motorcycle trailer out of the side yard and it is EXCELLENT for saving my back and any future hurnia. I use the trailer for yard waste and garbage runs as well as bike transport. I was lifting the trailer by the tongue and walking it about 40 yards each way and dreading it every time. That dolly is a huge asset for my long term health. I think of why I didn't use it before I just decided to give it a try. My father in law gave it to me for Christmas one year and it is an was one of the best gifts I have been given. I was an idiot to not use it on the first day I needed it. It is great.!!!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I have one with solid tires. I grew tired of airing-up pnuematic tires. I moved my Koffler pram with it. It worked well back when I worked well. At 75, now I use that and my Son . . .

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter

Depending on the size of the tires, you can put foam inserts inside pneumatic tires and they'll never go flat. I use them in the wheels of a kayak dolly.

Even without those, the advantages of pneumatic tires on an uneven surface will often outweigh the PITA factor.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys.

Taking it all in.

@Tinker the foam inserts, are they easy to find and install?

Easy to install, but often tricky to find - and they don't seem to be available for every tire/wheel size. Some are the size you might need, many are for bicycle-type tires. The good part is: if you can find them, you'll never need to replace them

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
+1 for the trailer valet. Due to numerous limitations, I use it regularly to move a variety of trailers (12’ - 30’) in tight quarters. The heavier glass rigs take a bit more work when there is an incline involved and stopping a trailer on a downward slope takes prepearation. Most importantly it has increased my time on the water as I am now able to hook up a rig solo.

IMG_4591.jpeg