Question for you folks regarding Securing Driftboat Oars

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey all,

Scrimped and saved for a long time and was recently fortunate to buy a pair of 9 foot, Sawyer Squaretop Oars. I would hate to lose them to theft so............

can anyone share some ideas on how to deter the theft of Oars ?

Ive looked at the Python Lock system and this may be doable but Im calling on the knowledge base here, as it is very deep.

Im thinking that at times, the boat may be parked at a Hotel or busy campground, overnite. Maybe in a restaraunt parking lot for a nice meal too.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

MELinOre

Steelhead
Cuff em' Danno*
Capture.JPG

Capture0.JPG

Capture1.JPG

The blades go inside the "pizza oven"
The oars go one inside the metal seat arm rest frame and the other outside the arm rest frame.
The cuffs go where the shafts meet the blades.

I know it won't stop a determined thief with enough time, but it will make the "grab and go" thief move on to an easier opportunity.

You just need to find somewhere on the drifter that you can cuff the shafts and not allow the oars to walk away.

*Hawaii Five-O reference

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve been locking mine in the truck but they barely fit with the blades removed. I’ll look into getting cuffs

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anything can be stolen.....
I would remove from boat and store in rig or room if traveling and staying overnight.
I wouldn't worry if left in boat at ramp while shuttling or parking rigs.

Worry if you must, with cordless cutting wheels.....no chain or cable lock is gonna win that battle.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Peyton00 ,

Yeah very true. Cordless Power tools are the enemy here. Amazing how far along cordless tools have come with power and reliabilty. Made jobs a lot easier for both criminals and noncriminals.

My mind set is just to be used as a deterrent. Thats about all you can hope for nowadays.

Have a good weekend all.

Bob

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My Koffler drifter has a raised bar for the oarsman's foot rest. I purchased a locking device that sort of handcuffs the oars together. After securing that, I double wrap the oars with a 7-foot length of 3/8 chain and thread that tightly under the foot rest, securing it with a heavy padlock. I leave lots of free chain, which I thread thru slots on the back of my aluminum front seat box, then stack the remainder over the bare aluminum seating surface. Any attempt to tamper with the oars results in heavy chain banging around on the aluminum boat, making a hell of a loud racket.

Then again, my oars are soul-less 8’ aluminum-shafted clubs and someone would have to be crazy to want to steal them.

Here is a pic of a different commercial locking system I found on line tonite.

3281844E-AEA2-4000-98C8-78B7D6146467.png

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks @Kilchis,

I think I will handcuff the oar shaft, then run a chain down through my anchor nest or the foot rest. I dont have a pizza oven but do have cupholders that I may also run a chain through. Not 100% sure yet.

Be safe all.

Bob

Last edited: