Question for any Ketchum Release Tool Users

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
They work, but I find them too fiddly, didn't get used to using it. My medium fit wets 14 to 8 well. Beads 4mm and bigger will hang at end and didn't unhook easily for me.

Attachments

• 20231029_094736.jpg
    20231029_094736.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 7

Pescaphile

Steelhead
I've found the Ketchum release to be faster and easier to use than hemostats, plus they don't damage your fly the way hemostats so often do.

The hook on a stick looks good too, I'm going to give it a try. I like the price!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Ketchum Release aren't buoyant, mine's at the bottom of Lake Lenore. I have a wood handled device similar to what Zak shows, it floats. It doesn't work for huge cones and beads bigger than 4 mm otherwise it's perfect.

@Scudley Do Right - show a picture of your device, I think I get what you're doing but it sounds like a great tool.
This is one I made. Just reach back and grab it and unhook the fish with it on the zinger. Probably make 10 of them for the cost of one of the ketchum deals.View attachment 87809
Like @Roper said, the fish usually spits the hook in the net. But I did make this from a Dollar Store toothbrush. It is buoyant but does not completely float. I could slip on a foam pencil grip sleeve from my desk drawer but... why? A wooden dowel out of the scrap bin would take 5 minutes to rig up.20231029_132221.jpg

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great ideas all. Thanks again.

I just made a hook remover device real close to the Fishtools.biz one Buzzy posted. I was able to use a bike spoke bent to shape. Not my idea. You Tube guru provided it. The bike spoke is the perfect non bulky size and is very strong.

I also bought an Eagle Claw Hook Remover, at Bi-Mart, for .99 cents. Ive tested that device today. It removes Size #22 dries on up to Big Foamies and Bass Flies. Works extremely well on anything tied for Trout, using a single shank.

For the bigger Deer Hair Bass Flies I will need to cut/grind out the larger Bowl/Bulb, on the Eagle Claw Device or Ill just use Hemostats and/or my knock off Fishtool.biz hook remover. Articulated flies will call for the Fishtools.biz knock off as the Eagle Claw model Bulb/Bowl is not deep enough to encapsulate the two hook shanks. No worries as those size hooks are usually larger and much easier for my daughter to remove using hemos.

Be safe.

Bob

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Great ideas all. Thanks again.

I just made a hook remover device real close to the Fishtools.biz one Buzzy posted. I was able to use a bike spoke bent to shape. Not my idea. You Tube guru provided it. The bike spoke is the perfect non bulky size and is very strong.

I also bought an Eagle Claw Hook Remover, at Bi-Mart, for .99 cents. Ive tested that device today. It removes Size #22 dries on up to Big Foamies and Bass Flies. Works extremely well on anything tied for Trout, using a single shank.

For the bigger Deer Hair Bass Flies I will need to cut/grind out the larger Bowl/Bulb, on the Eagle Claw Device or Ill just use Hemostats and/or my knock off Fishtool.biz hook remover. Articulated flies will call for the Fishtools.biz knock off as the Eagle Claw model Bulb/Bowl is not deep enough to encapsulate the two hook shanks. No worries as those size hooks are usually larger and much easier for my daughter to remove using hemos.

Be safe.

Bob
Bike spoke: Genius! Totally!

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I do not know how you guys are using your ketchums or home made hook things but the ketchum has one huge benefit and that's complete control of the tippet. I C&R without a net because I think no touch is better for fish. that's just me plus I don't want to carry a net as a minimalist flyfisher I'll hike with just a pair of pliers on my waist and a flybox in my pocket. I hook the tippet with the KR and slide it down to engage the hook bend and lay the tippet taut, next to the KR in the palm of my hand. Now I have one free hand. I'll then turn the KR toward the sky and the fish slide right off the hook and my hook is still captured in the KR with tippet taut in the palm of my hand. Anyone who has had a still fresh hot fish thrash right at the end as you grabbed the hook only to break your tippet and maybe loose your fly know what I'm talking about. If one is a net user this point become moot because with net you have complete control of the fish. But the protective slime and scales of fish are coming off into your net. that's why the next action taken by fishermen upon releasing a fish so netted is that swishing of the net in the water to clean it off.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey fatbillybob,

I think I can visualize what you are saying. So in your case, the tippet and the KR tool, are both in one hand when you do the twist to the sky? In other words your pinching the tippet against the KR tool, keeping the tippet taut, just prior to the twist? I like that idea instead of using two hands, one to hold the tippet, one to do the twist.

Thanks for the input.

Bob