Question about the fishing in Germany

Does someone know the fishing rule in Germany? I will be visiting Frankfurt from this autumn season and would like to fish there. Hope someone share information about the rules, accesses, license, etc. Many thanks in advance!

Silvercreek

Freshly Spawned
Germany is very strict. You actually have to take a class and pass a test.

"The fishing licence (Fischereischein) is obtained on completion of the Sportfisherprüfung (sport fishing exam). The fishing exam normally takes place once or twice a year, at different times depending on federal state.

To get a licence:

• Apply to a fishing club (Angelverein) to find out when lessons and exams take place
  • 30-40 hours supervised fishing lessons must be taken before the exam (lessons normally take place over 4 to 5 weekends. Information on dates and instruction is usually available from local fishing clubs and shops)
The exam tests the knowledge of:

• Different types of fish
  • Fish biology and habitats
  • Fishing equipment and its uses
  • Treatment of catch
  • Different types of waters (lakes, rivers, seas)
  • Relevant legislation on fish, animal and nature protection
On successful completion of the sport fishing exam, the fishing club will issue a pass certificate which can be exchanged at the local town hall (Bezirksamt) for an official fishing licence. The pass certificate from the exam is valid for life, but the actual fishing licence has a validity of one or five years. The licence can be renewed for a fee."

Catch and release is also illegal. All caught fish have to be killed becaue they believe that C&R is inhuman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_and_release

In Switzerland and Germany, catch and release fishing is considered inhumane and is now banned.[5] In Germany, the Animal Welfare Act states that "no-one may cause an animal pain, suffering or harm without good reason".[6] This leaves no legal basis for catch and release due to its argued inherent lack of "good reason", and thus personal fishing is solely allowed for immediate food consumption. Additionally, it is against the law to release fish back into the water if they are above minimum size requirements and aren't a protected species or in closed season.

"The fishing licence (Fischereischein) is obtained on completion of the Sportfisherprüfung (sport fishing exam). The fishing exam normally takes place once or twice a year, at different times depending on federal state.

To get a licence:

• Apply to a fishing club (Angelverein) to find out when lessons and exams take place
    • 30-40 hours supervised fishing lessons must be taken before the exam (lessons normally take place over 4 to 5 weekends. Information on dates and instruction is usually available from local fishing clubs and shops)

• Treatment of catch
On successful completion of the sport fishing exam, the fishing club will issue a pass certificate which can be exchanged at the local town hall (Bezirksamt) for an official fishing licence. The pass certificate from the exam is valid for life, but the actual fishing licence has a validity of one or five years. The licence can be renewed for a fee."

Catch and release is also illegal. All caught fish have to be killed becaue they believe that C&R is inhuman.

In Switzerland and Germany, catch and release fishing is considered inhumane and is now banned.[5] In Germany, the Animal Welfare Act states that "no-one may cause an animal pain, suffering or harm without good reason".[6] This leaves no legal basis for catch and release due to its argued inherent lack of "good reason", and thus personal fishing is solely allowed for immediate food consumption. Additionally, it is against the law to release fish back into the water if they are above minimum size requirements and aren't a protected species or in closed season.
Thank you very much for information. It looks like that I have to find another hobby then... especially if catch and release is illegal.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

To get a licence:

• Treatment of catch

This is pretty wild.

Ryan Smart

Steelhead
I had done some research on fly fishing in Germany when I was headed there on business roughly 10 years ago, and at the time some regions allowed tourists to buy a short term license without all the tests, etc that residents need to complete. I didn't end up fishing at all and stuck with sightseeing in my free time.

I would suggest doing some searches for the region/state that you were interested in fishing and see what the rules are there.

ryan

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I had done some research on fly fishing in Germany when I was headed there on business roughly 10 years ago, and at the time some regions allowed tourists to buy a short term license without all the tests, etc that residents need to complete. I didn't end up fishing at all and stuck with sightseeing in my free time.

I would suggest doing some searches for the region/state that you were interested in fishing and see what the rules are there.

ryan
This! Plus if you have an "in" with the local club they will host you. I had access to all the local rivers my local fly club managed.

I did pass the test though. It was back in 1987 though. Not sure what all has changed.

BTW realize you can "slip" and drop fish back into the water. 😉

Was
This! Plus if you have an "in" with the local club they will host you. I had access to all the local rivers my local fly club managed.

I did pass the test though. It was back in 1987 though. Not sure what all has changed.

BTW realize you can "slip" and drop fish back into the water. 😉

Thanks! was there English version tests?

RCF

Life of the Party
Dayum!!! Those are some intensive and strict requirements. Actually I fully support them a lot.

I can remember when we would have to take a long course for gun safety. I actually wish it was more than it was.

If only we had courses today, whether for fishing or guns, we would be in a very different place nowadays.

Last edited:

Slow_Floccer

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I have to go to Germany 1-2 times a year for work. Whenever I see water and think if getting in there, I'm reminded of these rules and my head hurts.
BullDolly, if you figure something out for getting permission, please update this thread :)

beer30

Just Hatched
The tourist license is available in city halls and is valid for 3 months. Bring a passport sized photo with you.
I got my license over here about 3 years ago. 40 hours of classroom time and a long test thereafter. I did quite well on my test but had only really easy questions!
In addition to a license you need to get a Day permit for the water you want to fish. There are some good websites that make that pretty easy.
I ended up joining a club and I will be damned if I’ve seen more then six other fishermen all year!
My water has great dry fly eager browns and rainbows. Gotta say I’m very happy with it!

Attachments

• 53A8D824-08B4-40B3-BA3C-EE7550CE0F38.jpeg
    53A8D824-08B4-40B3-BA3C-EE7550CE0F38.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • DC93EB3D-6FFB-4648-8701-93ED9DD46E4E.jpeg
    DC93EB3D-6FFB-4648-8701-93ED9DD46E4E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • BE8671F2-571A-499A-A6DA-EFB32A9D1E68.jpeg
    BE8671F2-571A-499A-A6DA-EFB32A9D1E68.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • A74C70DF-33A6-432E-AA50-25FB4B47645C.jpeg
    A74C70DF-33A6-432E-AA50-25FB4B47645C.jpeg