Puget Sound

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Since it’s not fishing related would you mind telling me in pm where that pick is from.as an old surfer I would love to know
South Redondo Beach - and since it isn't fishing related, Avenue I on Esplanade. There were perhaps a dozen surfers a bit further down (south) before the peninsula (Rancho Palos Verdes), Torrance Beach. I haven't figured out why one stretch of beach has bigger waves one day and another stretch has bigger waves the next day (wind? tide?).

Bagman

Steelhead
South Redondo Beach - and since it isn't fishing related, Avenue I on Esplanade. There were perhaps a dozen surfers a bit further down (south) before the peninsula (Rancho Palos Verdes), Torrance Beach. I haven't figured out why one stretch of beach has bigger waves one day and another stretch has bigger waves the next day (wind? tide?).
Bottom contours as well as swell direction.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is good to hear. Good to know they're out there, at least to a degree.

Hopefully, we'll see this on the rivers too.
100%, this fishery definitely needs less enforcement than salmon fisheries where the law is not only ignored but antagonized, but from time to time there is poaching. I’ve only seen it once but would like to know that someone may show up if I report it

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
After taking a few months off from fishing to focus on some other things in life, I was able to get out twice this last week.

Friday @Jake Watrous and I hit the canal in my boat. Fishing was unbelievably slow, but the weather and the company was fantastic. We managed to get off the water just as the serious rain was hitting. Good timing.

Yesterday @ffb ferried me around the south sound in his awesome new boat, and boy was it a good time. The weather was just unreal. As Jon said at some point "There's calm.... and then there's THIS". It was so calm yesterday it was almost eery. Like you could feel a weird denseness in the air. It was also fairly warm, which was quite enjoyable. We found decent cutthroat fishing just about everywhere we went, and even ran into a handful of rezzies. Didn't land anything too monsterous size wise, but plenty of good, solid fish and boy were they fat and colorful. We also found a new to us area that fished surprisingly well at low tide in spite of neither of us having a floater onboard which would have been the ideal tool for the 1-3' depths the fish were in. Fly didn't matter in the least. It was the kind of day where if you found some fish you could catch them on whatever you felt like tying on. Jon's super natural peach baitfish pattern with a black conehead was definitely a favorite lol.

I didn't take any pictures, but I should have. Was just enjoying the incredible weather and actually being out on the water again after an extended period away from it.

Big thanks to both of those guys for dragging me out on the water. I needed that!

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
After taking a few months off from fishing to focus on some other things in life, I was able to get out twice this last week.

Friday @Jake Watrous and I hit the canal in my boat. Fishing was unbelievably slow, but the weather and the company was fantastic. We managed to get off the water just as the serious rain was hitting. Good timing.

Yesterday @ffb ferried me around the south sound in his awesome new boat, and boy was it a good time. The weather was just unreal. As Jon said at some point "There's calm.... and then there's THIS". It was so calm yesterday it was almost eery. Like you could feel a weird denseness in the air. It was also fairly warm, which was quite enjoyable. We found decent cutthroat fishing just about everywhere we went, and even ran into a handful of rezzies. Didn't land anything too monsterous size wise, but plenty of good, solid fish and boy were they fat and colorful. We also found a new to us area that fished surprisingly well at low tide in spite of neither of us having a floater onboard which would have been the ideal tool for the 1-3' depths the fish were in. Fly didn't matter in the least. It was the kind of day where if you found some fish you could catch them on whatever you felt like tying on. Jon's super natural peach baitfish pattern with a black conehead was definitely a favorite lol.

I didn't take any pictures, but I should have. Was just enjoying the incredible weather and actually being out on the water again after an extended period away from it.

Big thanks to both of those guys for dragging me out on the water. I needed that!
Good to see you back online Nick! We might see you out there one of these days ;)

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Good to hear from you!

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I really don't know why I didn't take a picture, but Nick and I both caught fish that puked up partially digested remains of "something". Did not look like fish, about 4" or so long and 1/8-1/4" or so diameter all the way through. Polychaete worms was our first thought? I actually brushed it off as random debris or something that I managed to scoop up with a fish until Nick landed a fish and hour later that puked up the same thing.

Divad

Whitefish
I really don't know why I didn't take a picture, but Nick and I both caught fish that puked up partially digested remains of "something". Did not look like fish, about 4" or so long and 1/8-1/4" or so diameter all the way through. Polychaete worms was our first thought? I actually brushed it off as random debris or something that I managed to scoop up with a fish until Nick landed a fish and hour later that puked up the same thing.
Sounds like a worm. Didn’t we just have a full moon too? I read they get into mass orgys on full moon nights to party. At least I think that was the worms I was reading about…