Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
At the right beaches this summer one might have been able to pay for a replacement OBS or two. 😂

There are three structures I know of on a certain beach that have supplied a lot of early morning buzz bombs over the years.
A big rock on another……😂
SF

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Pardon the poor quality pic, as it was screen grabbed from a buddy's video
This IS a searun, right? I've never come across one this fat!
Had the butter yellow belly & fins, completely spotted head to tail
Landed this morning on a salty beach, and hooked up 2 of his/her brethren in the same size class (or perhaps this was an exceptionally stupid fish and I caught it more than once!)

20231013_180522.jpg

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Landed this morning on a salty beach, and hooked up 2 of his/her brethren in the same size class (or perhaps this was an exceptionally stupid fish and I caught it more than once!)

View attachment 85939
Holy smokes! Let me know which beach and I’ll check.

Looks SRC to me. Congrats, amazing fish.

For me, Roger Stephens floating Delia Squid has provided the best topwater hook-up ratio followed closely by a gurgler.

SF
Delia Squid was designed by Jeff Delia who is an expert sea-run cutthroat fly fisher. H e has landed many + 20 inch fish on this pattern and is his go to sea-run cutthroat fly. I have modified his pattern to be a tube top water fly. I call the pattern T.W.(top water) sand shrimp. Sand shrimp are an important meal for resident coho in winter and spring particularly in shallow areas of Marine Area 13. In that time period I have found resident coho stomachs stuffed with sand shrimp when I have kept one for dinner. A whole sand shrimp is easy to identify while a partially digested one will have small white pinchers. The Delia squid nnd T.W. sand shrimp patterns are almost a complete match in color and size of a sand shrimp.

IMHO if resident coho are eating sand shrimp so will sea-run cutthroat. It is shown by how aggressive sea-run cutthroat strike this pattern. Sand shrimp are available as a food source year-round. Also, T.W. sand shrimp fly is extremely effective year-round sea-run cutthroat.

Roger

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 85939
I actually had a dream I caught a cutty that big the other night, after I woke up I figured "only in my dreams".

Holy smokes is right, I hope to be lucky enough to see a cutty that big let alone catch one

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

View attachment 85939
Huge Cutthroat Leigh! Wow.
Is the jaw deformed, I can't tell from the picture!
Regardless that is a SRC of a lifetime.
At least my lifetime. 😄

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

View attachment 85939
What what!?!? Did you catch a 5 pound searun cutt in 2023? And you say there was more than one? Friday the 13th, eclipse, whatever, that’s a helluva fish. DadGUM, nice work.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
What what!?!? Did you catch a 5 pound searun cutt in 2023? And you say there was more than one? Friday the 13th, eclipse, whatever, that’s a helluva fish. DadGUM, nice work.
Really hoping that this is the happy result of the gazillions of baitfish that have been around the last couple years, and there's more like this around now!
(I woulda guessed 3lb, but thanks!)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Really hoping that this is the happy result of the gazillions of baitfish that have been around the last couple years, and there's more like this around now!
(I woulda guessed 3lb, but thanks!)
Can be hard to judge from a pic, and you had your hands on it, so I’d go with what you think. Un-non-irregardlesspectively, it’s still a Hawg Johnson searun.

Divad

Whitefish
Aren’t some cutties of Lake Washington sea going? I’d venture to bet that is one of them as I’ve seen those fish get very large to this day!

Awesome catch nonetheless!

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Huge Cutthroat Leigh! Wow.
Is the jaw deformed, I can't tell from the picture!
Regardless that is a SRC of a lifetime.
At least my lifetime. 😄
This grab is a little clearer:
20231014_083812.jpg
Can be hard to judge from a pic, and you had your hands on it, so I’d go with what you think. Un-non-irregardlesspectively, it’s still a Hawg Johnson searun.
TBH, I don't think I've ever weighed a fish in my life, so sheer guess on my part. After looking at online pics of 3-5lb trout, this one's between 3 and 4?
Released to go terrorize baitfish again after just a few seconds of video, so no measurements!

Last edited:

jeradjames

Steelhead
TBH, I don't think I've ever weighed a fish in my life, so sheer guess on my part. After looking at online pics of 3-5lb trout, this one's between 3 and 4?
Released to go terrorize baitfish again after a just a few seconds of video, so no measurements!
Wow, that's so cool way to go!
I had a very short morning as I woke up late and have to get to work by 9AM. I decided to go to a beach that was much closer to work this morning that produced a massive amount of seaweed…I had to remove seaweed after every cast. It was pretty windy this morning but there was a lot of really good water movement despite not much tidal movement. I noticed a softer seam break in the water and decided I needed to cast there.
IMG_7982.jpeg
I’ll take it! It’s nice to be able to get out on the Sound before work and it makes it even sweeter landing something. I was about to call it but decided to go down the beach to see if the bottom beach structure was the same to try on another day. The rest of the beach didn’t look very good so I walked back to head to my truck…but not before “one last cast” in the same area where I caught the cutthroat. I casted maybe 60 feet and immediately had a tug on my first strip in, then another, and then hooked up on the third bite landing my first non resident Coho on a lame little North Sound beach.
IMG_7975.jpeg
This fly has been really great lately.
IMG_7980.jpeg

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
View attachment 86005

Released to go terrorize baitfish again after a just a few seconds of video, so no measurements!
That's the fattest SRC I've ever seen.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Woke up planning to head south to get reacquainted with some favorite SRC beaches, but my son was up and about early looking for something to do. He'd been game for a few perch and stocker outings in years past, but hadn't shown much interest in fishing lately, so I was somewhat surprised when he accepted my invitation to head out with me. I ditched my original plan in favor of a casual mixed coho/SRC trip closer to home and bought him a one-day license on my phone while pounding coffee. I was pleasantly surprised with his enthusiasm and self sufficiency chucking a small buzz bomb, though he did ask "when can I just cast it out and let it sit there" so I may have a future indicator fisherman on my hands :). I'm pretty excited about the possibility of getting him set up with a light spinning outfit and bringing him on some dedicated SRC trips later this fall.

1697304929106.jpeg
I stumbled into a coho that decided to stick this little sz 8 fly in the roof of its mouth. Wish it my son would have gotten it, but it was still a nice surprise. It was unclipped, but its fins and tail definitely looked like those of a hatchery or net pen fish. It also looked like it had recently wriggled through a net of some kind. First fly coho for me in this MA, which was just icing on the cake.

ADCreHfQP6wmnRiwSRdZF06eC9PQaY6H-Jba0sb1MRuDvA_tR5Qy0qFwyMsUIeTafBOzNLkYOGpGqdhCu5v3-kxHRsl24ejiFA37FHeNvhxFTwvh1931HKvpG_fRvW9ip-LwmTWyoGNlU2ZvKFY7pMi7vsXBDRkow-a41zHNh-km0YySU4h7euvAkFFsOFbs9dIw3XyZuRC-nr12jK-9MRhsgICMc7Zso8_XpXehCeWDzyf9712FYEdEiGeta-NZJwdVHo8Emie7stsUJqSalVAP5jUDHuCcnER_vRUlCpAkqt90WveJQbvl3rRwNQoJcuUnkEIpT_NGMRm5mSdTuvwCVyD40M2kcb1h-ft5kEXAucvvjuiIEXczATHSuVwxS4u3x4WpqEo4sZqWUkj1iivOMGVuWh9Ude3qXRDMf2u08iA3JnBUCujm_5aYLBK71bEHWuq2oWoB94J3i5aV9ynbTAljrFj2yXfpCfl-GYgXm6xWsGob1OPXIu95JkakNvcBKtwvwgGFJbJXJR0ioHc7FT3YATxQVCznju9zFnJdc3dmzjPXpb5Tct1fkp0XFGAv8ii4O8cbeUboMUVxlwBhUDJXq5-tJN8eDvSlVbUFunm9Lc9Cb1L3h2z1PJezxn0ZJ83pyKP_Od3HDv6rAE71lNQ8OehFDB1HQKlqpQ8xY7K60FSBGfnV_JJ-H3yIHfmMaLKfwrS6Qwbbj1LZRFNL4lSmkIxBj_04OAh80H-VDfzVup2zzcuBs5MkK4yElP5QM2Mj19rvuyj8B5JlTs5d3UwV4vYj5hG_dvZSnM4i-P_DN9IEGVZ-Xe6Orv5s2gxCgzOhCIUQMPWlUex8DKELCuIpSQXJbLgKzvij-CsOBaP5uHwRN07G2WkbWxBRijeAVc2sozpoLbmCTjPztQkTYTU=w828-h629-s-no-gm

ADCreHcnfS7rDtcGFESM7B3DrLYQmop8L8LgsW1-HtMczYfXlJiUaEQLkQuWM0fLJbv4_QeXwvoTgLIVijC7TNvC8thVX6gSu_-Oi8ggohD3Z2qN7GKKfRPEzQ1I_45pf6-XGuSZEndJ0Mq_7VPeQLBjUJaaGxvhdpbW3hPHFRe6uQfvyJ1CJ_uZ9JPYRcMHgP8YbGeV9jlfbkF9NnmlaMzmwd2V1BtVwbD8y_yEvGlDPrUNG17X5TSShXp7lMFgH0c6pWh5wYd_Uh08rvwNUFxdioAutUKtvYtvu-YRO_DMHUECjiLp8ShTKHebj2EvQBhco0WPBr3Js10UZ6sqBq4KWbReH2MQYt62W7lPFuejgQ4T4KI3rXM_kZv8prHnmhodplPe1JL30Jzhf7HUfuZE2rXVEw32kN2OIVbah8Kf79KGDs65GtHw8tv811Zv1puMUA8WP0TZygmEwjcahYgokLQM0gBlOPP9hyG_moueWeBzSExBaHH0NnAWzwZP1szIQ6hP0JgrBKAggOn-mWX5hUPOZ055x1zRA_Txt60vF5CHEm99F5hHTRZdmykphhI5ljLBOm60CkCzCzWDzlqrNPCL5rUBJDhj9dr3SGaPxUYi8c8NCTsWI5wqlVuhxZMRxfyPzClwegV7SJx75PXaPg0r_oIbYVqr1t7zj7nfrOvzHxC9T9BAA0nshG1s-ZJKy78S5K9T_KIj6vWtu8zfzrtRe1zUs8Yq1gMCseiqDPIfQ-jBiWbKk4SERedRpqRf-NgbQIgprxorHgnDPUM4CRXc1FDEPq9DoGVTkLiIXjJSwHB4hGsz57KTS8SmAn-Yf-o2NGJOtbi40R3VgPx4U_HmgEbWV64UXdcultGHZxDD72vvxOvKSv_JLzF6qK0lp4MuiyYlFKsAzMTSUnh6q8c=w828-h618-s-no-gm

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

View attachment 85939
Amazing cutthroat, congrats! Some folks don't believe they can get that large.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 86005

Released to go terrorize baitfish again after just a few seconds of video, so no measurements!
Amazing SRC! Well done! (I'm a tad J!) ;-)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

View attachment 85939

Beautiful cutt @Northern
Must be a myth as we’ve been told on multiple forums now that the biggest ones no longer exist. 😂
SF

Last edited: