Puget Sound

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just saw this. Actually saw the fish checker chewing a group out this morning for fishing MA9 after retaining an unclipped fish from MA10. "We weren't sure so we did it anyways".

View attachment 81738View attachment 81739
"From area 10".

I see a little Chinook in the mix: For a laugh, go on Northwest Fishing Reports and look during a pink year, you inevitably will find a fin clipped Blackmouth proudly photographed and presented as a "gorgeous bright pink". If you ever wondered why we don't get a bonus limit, that's where the answer is. Really cool to see how its flesh is more on the white marbled side, not so common down here.

These photos of bright chum are making me jealous, I'm going to try chasing them from a boat end of October in area 10. John from Johns sporting goods would troll for them down Pilot Point in late October and November, running in 30-90 feet of water, going as slow as he can, with small green or purple mini hoochies. Honestly sounds pretty damn fly fishable to me, and the few photographs I see are pretty bright.

Divad

Whitefish
Same ^ the early, chrome chum photos have be all giddy to get one! Thank you everyone for your wonderful photos.

I saw some canned salmon once labeled “bright salmon” or “brite salmon” and upon checking it was Chum renamed.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Same ^ the early, chrome chum photos have be all giddy to get one! Thank you everyone for your wonderful photos.

I saw some canned salmon once labeled “bright salmon” or “brite salmon” and upon checking it was Chum renamed.
I kept a brightish chum (That darkened up after I bonked it) last year from a river that cut white, it was bland but not bad tasting, while I recall a bright pink that cut white had a nasty aftertaste to it. I imagine a bright chum would taste slightly nicer than a bright pink, but we shall see

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

Chum salmon are marketed as “Silverbrite” salmon, as well as “Keta” salmon, the latter seeming a bit more transparent to me.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Chum salmon are marketed as “Silverbrite” salmon, as well as “Keta” salmon, the latter seeming a bit more transparent to me.
Yeah I naively bought a “silver brite” fillet at Safeway once thinking I was getting a good price on a piece of coho. It was NOT delicious, and I later learned that “silverbrite” was a term for chum caught at sea.

Another time at Ivar’s Salmon house (the nice sit down restaurant, not the fish-n-chips bar) they were pushing “keta” as some special seasonal salmon, which gave me a chuckle.

Chucker

Steelhead
John from Johns sporting goods would troll for them down Pilot Point in late October and November, running in 30-90 feet of water, going as slow as he can, with small green or purple mini hoochies.

I have tried that, and caught nothing, even when there have been decent numbers of jumping chum visible. Nor have I ever spoken to anyone who has actually made it work. I think it might just be that with the chum runs so much lower than they used to be, it’s hard to get the gear in front of enough fish to find a biter.

jeradjames

Steelhead
It's been a tough last two mornings on the beach, skunked the last two days! I went 0-4 yesterday and 0-1 today and less and less fish being seen. There's maybe 1-3 per hour or so and not always within casting distance. It seems like I'm still getting some nibbles, could be eelgrass, but even when I do get a bite and I know it's a fish they are definitely less aggressive so I need improve my strip set game. The rivers are definitely where the fish are at. Me being stubborn and having an accessible beach within 2 minutes, it's hard to go where everyone else is at. Still a great way to start the morning before work nonetheless!

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Even after the flights are done, they will still remember them.
I’ve caught cutts in late September on imitations and if it stays warm, I think in October is definitely doable. Obviously better in a heavy flight year, which this year hasn’t been in my opinion.
I agree though, hard to target cutts when salmon are available.

Hatch is going full bore this evening out here, biggest termite flight of the year.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Hatch is going full bore this evening out here, biggest termite flight of the year.

That’s is late, but also good. The cutts will remember them later into the fall when coho fishing is done come 10/1.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Fished a few hours after work yesterday, as well as before work today. 1-3 on on both days. Lots of fish around. Not super bitey for anyone last night. There ended up being a decent bite window right at sunset. All my hookups happened in a 1/2 hour period. This morning fish were bitey…but I failed to capitalize. Landed a decent wild fish. Lost two others and got a number of grabs that did not find the hook point.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah, yesterday evening we went for a walk around the block and a neighbor's big old arborvitae stump was going off--gobs of 'em pouring out. My kids have been calling them "red mystery bugs." I told them they're termites but they insisted that no, they are Red Mystery Bugs. mmmkayyy

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
4 for 5 with the MA9 beach coho this morning. Biggest was a 5 pound hatchery hen I bonked. Patchy fog and decent current early morning, then it got too hot & sunny. Some coho were starting to act like staging fish, others still feeding hard.
20230914_124517.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nice but not very productive morning for me today. Couldn’t keep up with @DimeBrite as he was roping coho.
The start of the morning.
IMG_4739.jpeg

Wish we had more of this then the bright sun.
IMG_4741.jpeg

Water looked good. I had some opportunities but only converted one. Nice size unclipped fish that unfortunately fought like a wet rag.

IMG_4749.jpeg
SF

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
I live about an hour’s drive from the sound (MA10) and am wondering if it is worth my while to drive over for an evening of fishing. I don’t want to fight crowds but there really isn’t a way to ask about particular beaches without upsetting folks. Anyone want to let me know if crowds are still a thing in MA10?