Puget Sound Indicator Fishing for Sea Run Cutthroat is HEATING up

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
You'll never guess who I had on the boat today.

20220213_202314.jpg

Pretty good fishing today. Had planned to explore a new area but heavy fog finally made us abandon that plan. Hard to explore when you can't see 50'.

Once the fog burned off it was a beauty of a day and fishing was quite good at times. The indicator got a LOT of action today. It was a lot of fun to watch. @Irafly and @GOTY both had a steady stream of bobber downey jrs as they took turns with the indi rod. Spot lock with the trolling motor in decent current makes indicator fishing a hoot, and pretty darn effective at times.

Every other fly got bit as well. Basically everywhere with current provided action. No current, and things were pretty scratchy. Go figure.

20220213_114635-01.jpeg121798-01.jpeg20220213_134949-01.jpeg20220213_174635-01.jpeg

GOTY

Steelhead
I don't recall you asking my permission to use "bobber Downey Jr"
Still the greatest name ever given to a rod.

Although I think since you own the website and therefore you own Nick's post where he used said language, explicit permission might not be needed as it was assumed to have been given when the TOS was agreed to. I'll have my lawyers look into it later never.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
You'll never guess who I had on the boat today.

View attachment 5076

Pretty good fishing today. Had planned to explore a new area but heavy fog finally made us abandon that plan. Hard to explore when you can't see 50'.

Once the fog burned off it was a beauty of a day and fishing was quite good at times. The indicator got a LOT of action today. It was a lot of fun to watch. @Irafly and @GOTY both had a steady stream of bobber downey jrs as they took turns with the indi rod. Spot lock with the trolling motor in decent current makes indicator fishing a hoot, and pretty darn effective at times.

Every other fly got bit as well. Basically everywhere with current provided action. No current, and things were pretty scratchy. Go figure.

View attachment 5077View attachment 5078View attachment 5079View attachment 5081
The "spot lock" feature on your trolling motor: what a marvelous tool! The times I've been with Herb and Keith fishing the Canal, with only a transom, tiller-controlled motor, we've found some points, current seams, etc., that just begged for a bobber presentation but really isn't practical with three guys in a 14-foot boat I've described. Well done, Captain.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
The "spot lock" feature on your trolling motor: what a marvelous tool! The times I've been with Herb and Keith fishing the Canal, with only a transom, tiller-controlled motor, we've found some points, current seams, etc., that just begged for a bobber presentation but really isn't practical with three guys in a 14-foot boat I've described. Well done, Captain.

It's been fun getting to know this thing and learning how it can improve our fishing out there. I cant tell you what a treat it is to be able to push a button and be able to step away from the helm and enjoy the fishing without constantly working on keeping the boat on a good drift. Yesterday we found a large number of cutthroat hanging in some nice current off a point. Spot lock held us on point and we were all 3 able to cast and catch fish until the current died and the bite with it. So much fun and such a relaxing experience for me!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Spot lock held us on point and we were all 3 able to cast and catch fish until the current died and the bite with it. So much fun and such a relaxing experience for me!
So there's enough power in current for those things to work? I admit, I'm kind of surprised. That said, my only experience with spot-lock is on lakes.

How much current were you in?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It's been fun getting to know this thing and learning how it can improve our fishing out there. I cant tell you what a treat it is to be able to push a button and be able to step away from the helm and enjoy the fishing without constantly working on keeping the boat on a good drift. Yesterday we found a large number of cutthroat hanging in some nice current off a point. Spot lock held us on point and we were all 3 able to cast and catch fish until the current died and the bite with it. So much fun and such a relaxing experience for me!
I'm just a tad jealous - I tried to get Herb to put one of these on his new boat....... ;-)

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
So there's enough power in current for those things to work? I admit, I'm kind of surprised. That said, my only experience with spot-lock is on lakes.

I always wondered the same thing but there is PLENTY of power. The one on my boat is the 24 volt 80 lb thrust version and I can hold in literally any current I've encountered all day long with zero issue.

The areas I fish often have river like current. Yesterday wasn't the biggest tides but at times the current was still ripping. Even on huge tide days I've yet to encounter a current that was too strong for this motor.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm just a tad jealous - I tried to get Herb to put one of these on his new boat....... ;-)

It's a tough expense to swallow! Between the motor itself, batteries, and installation its not a small investment. I wanted one on the Triumph for a long time but just couldn't swallow the bill. I regret that now!

Honestly if I hadn't bought a boat that had one on it I'd still be out there cursing and fighting the current trying to setup good drifts across those current seams.

Slimy Deck

Watch your step

In my 24' rig with 36V 105 lb troller I'm able to hold in ~5.5mph current. Additionally cool is the jog feature, that once spot-locked at a touch smoothly moves the boat in 5' increments left/right/forward/backward. So, repositioning for next cast becomes mindless, like the tv remote once used to it you don't even have to look at it. 2 presses up, 1 press left boat moves forward 10' and 5' to port.

And, these things have an auto pilot feature that at a touch will keep you on a given heading at a set speed despite wind puffs or current eddys. If networked to your bottom machine can even set to stay at a certain depth/contour.

Amazing technology, really.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I was going solo so the fog scared me away from the boat yesterday. Seemed like a great day for it otherwise. This is a beach in an area I was planning to fish. I made the right decision.

E5F72EE5-103C-4ACC-A311-7EAE5F3D11D3.jpeg

Another beach later in the day walking the dogs. Even when it cleared, still some thick patchy stuff around.

D952A59F-C93D-43E4-85F5-1BE62405917B.jpeg

This is a good synopsis of my morning over three beaches…

At least I landed my one god damn fish :). All 11 inches of him.

I really, really want to mod my boat for a trolling motor. Anyone know a good boat mechanic on the Kitsap side who might be interested in taking on mounting a trolling motor on a boat with bow rails?

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I always wondered the same thing but there is PLENTY of power. The one on my boat is the 24 volt 80 lb thrust version and I can hold in literally any current I've encountered all day long with zero issue.

The areas I fish often have river like current. Yesterday wasn't the biggest tides but at times the current was still ripping. Even on huge tide days I've yet to encounter a current that was too strong for this motor.
As I continue with the mental buildout of the dream skiff that I'll likely never actually build/own, would you say a spot lock motor or power poles are more useful?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
As I continue with the mental buildout of the dream skiff that I'll likely never actually build/own, would you say a spot lock motor or power poles are more useful?

If I only had to choose one it would be the bow mount without question. While the power poles are fantastic they are limited by depth so there's plenty of times they just aren't applicable. Where as the bow mount can be used 98% of the time.

Super, super shallow water would be the only time I wouldn't use the motor. Think 2' of water on a Hood Canal oyster beach. Those scenarios generally don't have super strong currents anyway so wouldn't be the end of the world to not use it there anyway.

I love the combo of the poles and the bow mount, as it allows me to pick and choose which I use based on the scenario, but if I was choosing one it would be the bow mount no doubt about it.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If I only had to choose one it would be the bow mount without question. While the power poles are fantastic they are limited by depth so there's plenty of times they just aren't applicable. Where as the bow mount can be used 98% of the time.

Super, super shallow water would be the only time I wouldn't use the motor. Think 2' of water on a Hood Canal oyster beach. Those scenarios generally don't have super strong currents anyway so wouldn't be the end of the world to not use it there anyway.

I love the combo of the poles and the bow mount, as it allows me to pick and choose which I use based on the scenario, but if I was choosing one it would be the bow mount no doubt about it.
That's kind of what I was thinking myself but good to know! The mental buildout continues. :)