NFR PSA: Shipping Labels

Non-fishing related

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you’re like me and buy and sell a lot online you’ve noticed shipping has gotten expensive. Well a couple months ago someone from another forum gave me a heads up about pirateship.com. It’s some sort of aggregate to get the cheapest possible shipping short of selling through eBay. I honestly don’t know how it works and am in no way affiliated. I sold a 3 piece rod a month ago and insured it was only like $16 to ship it. I’ve been using it consistently and it’s been super easy to use.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If you’re like me and buy and sell a lot online you’ve noticed shipping has gotten expensive. Well a couple months ago someone from another forum gave me a heads up about pirateship.com. It’s some sort of aggregate to get the cheapest possible shipping short of selling through eBay. I honestly don’t know how it works and am in no way affiliated. I sold a 3 piece rod a month ago and insured it was only like $16 to ship it. I’ve been using it consistently and it’s been super easy to use.
And while we're on the topic, because I deal with this just about every time I buy something online from a private party: Never, please... ship from a UPS Store or other mailbox store. Those are third party services that charge roughly double the actual rate.

flybill

Life of the Party
You can get a deal even with UPS if you go online and print your own label.. I drop mine off at the actual UPS distribution center since it's located very close to me. Haven't had a problem yet! Plus I know a few UPS drivers so get the inside scoop most of the time.. but yes it's getting more expensive.

I was looking at a bottle from a wine/liquor store in Anacortes and the bottle was $30.. shipping was another $30.. hard pass!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
You can get a deal even with UPS if you go online and print your own label.. I drop mine off at the actual UPS distribution center since it's located very close to me. Haven't had a problem yet! Plus I know a few UPS drivers so get the inside scoop most of the time.. but yes it's getting more expensive.

I was looking at a bottle from a wine/liquor store in Anacortes and the bottle was $30.. shipping was another $30.. hard pass!
That’s essentially what pirateship is. You buy your usps/ups/fed ex labels online and then drop them off.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
And while we're on the topic, because I deal with this just about every time I buy something online from a private party: Never, please... ship from a UPS Store or other mailbox store. Those are third party services that charge roughly double the actual rate.
My god. I did a direct trade with a guy where we traded rods where we each paid for our own shipping. They were both 7’ 3 piece rods. My shipping was ~$17 and his was $70. Not sure what the hell he did.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
My god. I did a direct trade with a guy where we traded rods where we each paid for our own shipping. They were both 7’ 3 piece rods. My shipping was ~$17 and his was $70. Not sure what the hell he did.
Probably a UPS store or other mailbox store like I said. Though that's a bigger markup than I've personally seen. When I worked at ECHO, I'd have guys complain all the time it cost $40-50 to ship their rods in for warranty/repair (after I specifically told them to take it directly to the post office where it was $14).

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
My wife found Pirateship, we love it. Even sent a package to the UK.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
If you ship things (rods) in a tube, there's a fee for that. Do they roll off the conveyerbelt ?.. I put my tubes in a homemade triangle box ..

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you ship things (rods) in a tube, there's a fee for that. Do they roll off the conveyerbelt ?.. I put my tubes in a homemade triangle box ..
I just usually have a rectangular box on hand to ship rods. I tend to buy and sell used rods a lot. UPS via pirate ship tends to be the cheapest shipping option.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I saw the posting yesterday and used it today to ship parts for my Davis Weather Station back to CA. It was not a ton of money cheaper than the rack rate from USPS, but the pre-printed label saved me at least 45-60 min in line at the USPS office this morning. Holiday shipping had the queue out the door with about 10 people waiting outside to get into the lobby. I was able to skip the line and drop the box at the pre-paid station and leave. Got dirty looks, but that was not my problem.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I saw the posting yesterday and used it today to ship parts for my Davis Weather Station back to CA. It was not a ton of money cheaper than the rack rate from USPS, but the pre-printed label saved me at least 45-60 min in line at the USPS office this morning. Holiday shipping had the queue out the door with about 10 people waiting outside to get into the lobby. I was able to skip the line and drop the box at the pre-paid station and leave. Got dirty looks, but that was not my problem.

Was it a small box? I’ve found the smaller boxes you save less than bigger ones. Fly rods for example you save a ton.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
a couple months ago someone from another forum gave me a heads up about pirateship.com.
Do I need a special "postal scale" to use pirateship.com?