PSA: Save Your Receipts

GOTY

Steelhead
If you sold any fishing gear over $600 and did not use "friends and family" payment methods, Uncle Sam is coming for you. Save your receipts for fishing gear to prove you didn't make a profit when selling it.

Edit: not a political discussion. Keep that shit out of this. Just a friendly heads up to save and/or dig up your receipts.

Last edited:

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You should also save them for your 10+ round magazine purchases in Ore-gun.

And again, "Not a political discussion.".

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't save receipts. They usually land in the garbage can on my way out the door.

I did need a receipt about 2 yrs ago.... life went on without it.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One year I sold over 31K thru Ebay/Paypal Paypal did not mail me a 1099 but just posted on my paypal acct which I never look at but IRS sent me a notice that I owed funds on the 31K which I had no idea what items I sold or how much I paid for them cost me 6K to IRS.
(I got started on the Bay by parting out my 79 Chev PU for three times for what I paid for it $1200)

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I work in taxes and I know that this is going to cause some headaches, a lot of IRS notices and some serious stress (and hopefully not much in taxes due). In my opinion, the IRS usually ends up being pretty reasonable and hopefully will be easy on taxpayers for the first couple of years.
Unfortunately, I think the bigger issue for those of us who live is states with sales tax, is what is going to happen if(when) the state gets access to this information and starts asking about it's sales tax! The sellers will be on the hook for sales tax in the amount of where the sale takes place or the end location of the shipment...

Shad

Life of the Party
I hope this isn't political (if it is, I'll happily rescind it and apologize), but this is what IRS "crackdowns" always end up looking like, no matter who's in charge: the "middle class" (does that even exist anymore?) gets the third degree on their tax filings, while the ones the legislation is "intended" to target continue to exempt their way out of any tax bill whatsoever. R, D, I, or whatever, if you're not a millionaire or better, you're being sequestered... ad infinitum.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I hope this isn't political (if it is, I'll happily rescind it and apologize), but this is what IRS "crackdowns" always end up looking like, no matter who's in charge: the "middle class" (does that even exist anymore?) gets the third degree on their tax filings, while the ones the legislation is "intended" to target continue to exempt their way out of any tax bill whatsoever. R, D, I, or whatever, if you're not a millionaire or better, you're being sequestered... ad infinitum.

A river of our money flows through Washington DC to be spent questionably and squandered much of the time and the IRS is concerned with 600 dollar or greater transactions by regular folks. Yeah, that's government really working for the people.

This is literally going after the smallest lowest hanging fruit cause they can. A new low.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Be better if they raise the target area to 6 million and an over. Think everything less mostly accompanies the middle people which do t need to be targeted heavily

Reactions: RCF

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The IRS straight up admitted a few years ago that they go after the middle class because they can. They know they will send that audit letter to someone who makes 60k (or even less!), and that person will pay up. They also said it's too hard to go after the folks with lots of money, so they don't bother.

This article blames one party. I don't disagree that they are purposefully being starved, but both parties are responsible.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The IRS straight up admitted a few years ago that they go after the middle class because they can. They know they will send that audit letter to someone who makes 60k (or even less!), and that person will pay up. They also said it's too hard to go after the folks with lots of money, so they don't bother.

This article blames one party. I don't disagree that they are purposefully being starved, but both parties are responsible.

I'm just super stoked with all this awesome representation I'm getting for the price of half my earnings. I must have a great government. It's expensive so it must be good.