Practice casting, practice and practice some more..!

The Fish Whisperer

Smolt
Forum Supporter
All,

I just wanted to validate what has been stated over and over again by many folks, magazines, brochures etc. If you are going to go on a saltwater trip, get out and practice with the rod you are going to use. I know that especially tropical lines won't perform very well in 50 degree weather, but it is still manageable and it will be the muscle memory that you will start developing that is important. I practiced once a month and when the trip got closer, I went out to Log Boom Park and dock in Kenmore once a week,

The accuracy and few false casts are just as important. I kept telling myself that I wasn't spending the money to go somewhere just to learn how to cast.

Anyway, I hope to have a trip report out here shortly, but just wanted to pass along my thoughts.

I say: Preparation Meets Opportunity. It's hard as well not to get wrapped up in the fishing aspect and to forget about the beauty around you. Sometimes you only get 2 or 4 shots in a day and hopefully you can capitalize on those by being ready.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
The saltwater quick cast and good line management make all the difference when the fish move onto the flat.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'll second that also.
My first bone fishing trip was a great time and I caught few nice bones.
My guide made my trip and made a big difference to my DIYS trips after that.
Sight fishing the flats is the bomb.