• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • IDFK

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
For whatever reason I've always gravitated to either moss green or onyx, but I never really thought why. I've spent a total of 3.5 minutes thinking about it and can't think of any reason why different colors would benefit a certain situation. Does the color matter to you?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not to me. I use white or hi viz most often.
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Idfk.

But then again I just use it for backing on my SW reels...maybe for a certain aesthetic it does but idfk. 🤷‍♂️

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
We’re talking backing right? Well since I’ve never seen mine take this with a grain of salt. A high contrast color to your fly line makes sense so you know when you’ve hit it. But again, I’ve never seen my backing.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
We’re talking backing right? Well since I’ve never seen mine take this with a grain of salt. A high contrast color to your fly line makes sense so you know when you’ve hit it. But again, I’ve never seen my backing.
Nah, not backing. Dirtbag mainline style!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Nah, not backing. Dirtbag mainline style!
well shit, why didn't you say so!? I guess I'd have to go olive since that's what I've got on both of my spinning rods. Guess I shoulda paid more attention as this is in the dirtbag section....

eazy-e

Smolt
i bought the marine blue to try out this year, im liking it better than the other high viz offerings. hate the moss green but thats just because i cant follow it in the water.. its personal preference on line color imo hungry fish dont care

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
i bought the marine blue to try out this year, im liking it better than the other high viz offerings. hate the moss green but thats just because i cant follow it in the water.. its personal preference on line color imo hungry fish dont care
Good to hear. I ordered some of the blue earlier in the week (which was hat got me thinking about this).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
For whatever reason I've always gravitated to either moss green or onyx, but I never really thought why. I've spent a total of 3.5 minutes thinking about it and can't think of any reason why different colors would benefit a certain situation. Does the color matter to you?
I don’t know, as I’ve only ever used onyx I think, but I do know I like how it fishes after it gets faded, and a bit softer. Sucks when I have to cut a snarl out and go to the stiff fresher stuff underneath.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I don’t know, as I’ve only ever used onyx I think, but I do know I like how it fishes after it gets faded, and a bit softer. Sucks when I have to cut a snarl out and go to the stiff fresher stuff underneath.
I've heard dipping the spool (the store spool w/ the line on it) into a pot of hot water for a bit helps loosen it up a bit.
Haven't tried it though, so not sure if it's just one of those weird things that someone does or if it legit makes a difference. Heck, I might have to give it a whirl when my new spool shows up....

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Everything I've ever read (that wasn't just "internet farmers almanac") seems to say that color matters not at all.

I go between moss green and bright yellow. I don't see a difference in catch rates.

Shad

Life of the Party
Caveat... me and braid have a major love-hate relationship. I love how (new) braid floats and supports drift mending, and I also like its visibility properties. Line capacity for reel size is another benefit. Besides those things, I hate just about everything else about that shit (especially how easily and in how many ways it tangles in catastrophic fashion), but I use it anyway, because for jig fishing, for all its faults, it beats mono, hands down. Just about all applications besides jig fishing get some combination of mono and fluoro....

As for color, I really don't know. Seems like it might be important to camouflage your mainline in some saltwater applications, but for most of what we do around here, the hi-vis stuff is probably the way to go.