Post surgical tying

Scottp

Legend
Having surgery for a torn rotator cuff (right shoulder/right handed) in September-October; sling for first 6 weeks but hoping the hand/fingers aren’t out of action for that long. Looking for any input on post-op hand functionality.

Regards,
Scott

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Having surgery for a torn rotator cuff (right shoulder/right handed) in September-October; sling for first 6 weeks but hoping the hand/fingers aren’t out of action for that long. Looking for any input on post-op hand functionality.

Regards,
Scott
Good luck with your surgery and post operative PT!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Regards,
Scott
I had my right thumb redone after someone put a chefs knife in my sauté' pan sink, and my left hand/wrist after a machete incident brushing line for a survey. I recall a short "no use" period, then physical therapy began before the casts even came off. I did LOTS of PT daily, and after the wrist/hand even finished second in my age group at a triathlon 2 weeks after cast removal. Follow the rehabilitation instructions., and don't be afraid to ask the PT folks about the best things you can be doing for successful results and do them.
Best wishes for a successful procedure Scott.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve never had my rotator cuff done, but I have had my labrum done twice (right 2x and left 1x). It’s been about 10 years since my last but I was in a good amount of pain for the first week (you can’t really stabilize your shoulder that well), slightly less the second week and back at work (in a sling) by the 3rd. I used a tablet (similar to say, a pen) for work and I remember being ok, not great but functional.

I’d bet, you could probably be tying by the second week, maybe 3rd if you tie slowly if and keep your elbow tucked.

But obviously I’m not a doctor or pt, so consult them.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The 6 week immobilization is critical speaking from assisting my wife’s recovery
Nephew disregarded this post operative advice and his shoulder is screwed
Good luck
I’m tired of rehabbing stuff myself

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Doubt tying will be either comfortable or enjoyable for a while after surgery.
Physical therapy will be about all you can do for a few weeks, but every surgical recovery is different.
When I had mine done, tying flys was not on my list of things to do for a couple months.

Scottp

Legend
Thanks all. Hoping it’s no longer than 2 weeks downtime; had to wait 10 days after I fractured my wrist for the swelling in my hand to go down before I could hold the bobbin and scissors properly (cut back the cast around my thumb to increase mobility).

Regards,
Scott

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter

Regards,
Scott
my frayed right RC finally snapped 7 years ago...first 6 weeks after repair no fun, will likely end up in your most comfortable chair at nights for the first week or two, and the surgeon will want zero strain on that shoulder as long as you're in that sling, as in not even the slightest lift of your forearm.
That sling wil be on you 24/7, strapped firmly across your chest, only off when the PT is taking you through progressive range of motion excercises, and when you follow post-op directions to carefully remove the sling while supporting your repaired shoulder/arm, let it dangle some, and refit the sling.
The inital PT is a bitch, gets better as strength and mobiity returns, lots of band exercises at home.
Patience is the key, as full rehab takes months, not weeks...patience will be the best friend you can have. Best of luck...

Otter

Steelhead
Make sure that you get as much detailed advice as possible from your doctor and physiotherapist. My surgeon warned me not to lift anything heavy for awhile after my inguinal hernia surgery. Not long after my surgery, I tried lifting my daughter up onto my lap. Bad idea. I don't know if I damaged anything, but the surge of pain suggested so. I told my surgeon about it the next time I saw him, and mentioned that my daughter only weighs 60 pounds. He said, "When I advised no heavy lifting, that meant nothing over 10 pounds!"

Otter

Steelhead
Another thing that a surgeon told me, is that an operation is a wound, and wounds take up to a year to heal.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Another thing that a surgeon told me, is that an operation is a wound, and wounds take up to a year to heal.
though return to low impact sports like swimming and tennis are usually cleared within 5 months, RC repair requires a full year to reach 100% repaired tendon strength. Though surfing four months after hip replacement, my sports med RC surgeon put me on a one year wait, even though I was swimming laps by month five. And there is a damn good reason for that precaution.
Daughter is a PT who has worked with patients who went too soon and too hard after RC repair and blew it out again = reverse shoulder replacement, an absolute mofo of a repair to have and recover from.
Patience, learn to love those Thera bands

Left full reconstruction (rotator cuff, cartilage, pectoral detachment, the works) 10 years ago after a car accident...decent amount of pain for 2 weeks, was back tying after 3...I tie right handed but my left is more useful than I thought, it was hard to hold my left elbow up to hold materials...you may not "use" your right shoulder when winding thread but when you bend your elbow to wind thread, hackles, etc. you'll learn that your elbow anchors at your shoulder...All that said, take your time AND DO YOUR PHYISICAL THERAPY EVERY DAY AS INSTRUCTED!!! Frozen shoulder is no picnic...you'll be back tying soon and fishing a little later, Good luck!!!

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My wife’s shoulder is so bad it can’t be fixed to function correctly
My surgeon said a year is realistic

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Left full reconstruction (rotator cuff, cartilage, pectoral detachment, the works) 10 years ago after a car accident...decent amount of pain for 2 weeks, was back tying after 3...I tie right handed but my left is more useful than I thought, it was hard to hold my left elbow up to hold materials...you may not "use" your right shoulder when winding thread but when you bend your elbow to wind thread, hackles, etc. you'll learn that your elbow anchors at your shoulder...All that said, take your time AND DO YOUR PHYISICAL THERAPY EVERY DAY AS INSTRUCTED!!! Frozen shoulder is no picnic...you'll be back tying soon and fishing a little later, Good luck!!!
the full monty..ouch f'n ouch...in 2002 snapped my left pec in an out of bounds snowboarding accident, ended up with a frozen shoulder that had to be manipulated under anesthesia to break the adhesions loose...between new hip, pec, RC, knees, coupla others..figure 4 years worth of rehab and recovery over the decades...being married to a sweetie of a nurse is truly incidental, honest :)

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
the full monty..ouch f'n ouch...in 2002 snapped my left pec in an out of bounds snowboarding accident, ended up with a frozen shoulder that had to be manipulated under anesthesia to break the adhesions loose...between new hip, pec, RC, knees, coupla others..figure 4 years worth of rehab and recovery over the decades...being married to a sweetie of a nurse is truly incidental, honest :)
Nobody rides for free

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did you have rotator cuff surgery or an operation for a SLAP lesion? Same general area. I’ve had both and tend to agree with SurfnFish regarding the rehab. It was not fun. My R/C was done in March and I couldn’t get arm above shoulder until September.

But then I’m glad you’ve got ROM to tie flies. Big positive.

I just discovered this thread. I have had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder 2 different times. First in Sept or October of 2007 and then again the same shoulder in about the same months of 2017. Both surgeries were done by the same surgeon and he is incredible. First one only one torn tendon and the second one one torn and several nearly torn. I work hard in my work in glass and the first was a initial significant injury and the other was sort of cumulative and I wonder if there isn't a sort of a vulnerability once the body has had an injury. The key is to really focus on the PT and also do the exercises daily in the period once you begin the PT. Then once you are cleared to go back to work KEEP DOING THE PT AND KEEP DOING THE PT. DID I MENTION ......KEEP DOING THE PT. The initial recovery period is very frightening and you wonder what the hell???? When you do recover then you are just gung ho to get back the money you lost in the recovery period and its great having the function again and then after a few to 5 years I seemed to get a little lax on the daily routine of doing the PT. Then I realize I may have overworked the shoulder and then it starts to talk to me again and then the exercises seem to quell the overuse and weakness from the repaired tendons. My last one was 3 tendons. First one they had to shave the bones down from calcium buildup of my body trying to repair itself. I am a little worried about any future ones as now I am 70.... not 19 anymore. Dont give up in the recovery period as you will recover and did I mention.... KEEP DOING THE PT!!!!!!!

Forgot to address the issue with tying flies.... no problem. Just take it easy and dont do 6 dozen the first day you go back. Keep that exercise "pendulum" in your short list to rest and relax the shoulder when it seems to burn after holding tight or limiting the movement as in fly tying sometimes.