Possible WDFW Changes

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm pretty sure I don't like this. Consider for a moment how logical it seemed to merge the old WDF and WDG so all fish and game would be under one roof. Do you think trout and steelhead and wildlife are getting better treatment at the new (WDFW) Washington Department of Salmon? In that vein I see fish and wildlife being diluted by combining them with Parks and DNR (the Department of Logging).

Difficult as things are with WDFW and the Commission, I still feel like we have better access and ability to make our voices heard, at least pre-Covid. The harder part is lobbying the Governor to appoint candidates to the Commission who are responsive to the majority of WA citizens instead of minority components like commercial fishing and treaty tribes.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
The harder part is lobbying the Governor to appoint candidates to the Commission who are responsive to the majority of WA citizens instead of minority components like commercial fishing and treaty tribes.
100% agree on this part.

Here's a wild ass thought: why not have the commission be voted positions. You want to vote? Sure, no problem, as long as you have a current fishing or hunting license or Discovery Pass (or whatever other pass you need to buy now days to go outside and enjoy the outdoor recreational activities the state has to offer). Those who fish and hunt and enjoy the outdoors get to be the ones voting for the people who make decisions about fishing and hunting and wildlife.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
You want to vote? Sure, no problem, as long as you have a current fishing or hunting license or Discovery Pass
I don't think that works without re-writing the entire enabling legislation. WDFW manages fish and wildlife resources for ALL of WA's citizens, not just those who hunt and or fish.

Making Commissioners an elected position would further politicize those positions and the agency and make them directly susceptible to money. It's presently an unpaid appointed position. I'd prefer keeping it that way. Just need a governor who is responsive to citizens outside his elite circle.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
WDFW manages fish and wildlife resources for ALL of WA's citizens, not just those who hunt and or fish.
Damnit, good point.
Making Commissioners an elected position would further politicize those positions and the agency and make them directly susceptible to money. It's presently an unpaid appointed position. I'd prefer keeping it that way. Just need a governor who is responsive to citizens outside his elite circle.
I don't know, I'd try less hard at my job if I stopped getting paid for it. But, I do see your point.

Was going to suggest then instead we all should get to vote for one person who appoints the commission members....and then I remembered we already fucking do that....I'm stumped.