Pollen

ABITNF

Steelhead
So, we're on this lake and it's fishing pretty good. Lots of surface action on big caddis. Also damsels, may's, dragons, scuds...lots of hungry fish.

Then for a couple days the pollen is brutal. We're having sinus issues and eyes are burning. Not fun. Well the fishing went in the tank. The lake was covered with pollen every morning and the water became less clear although you could still see down 8 feet.

So I'm wondering if pollen also effects fish. I think it must. It would be like us breathing in smoke particulate.

Any limnologist care to enlighten me?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
So, we're on this lake and it's fishing pretty good. Lots of surface action on big caddis. Also damsels, may's, dragons, scuds...lots of hungry fish.

Then for a couple days the pollen is brutal. We're having sinus issues and eyes are burning. Not fun. Well the fishing went in the tank. The lake was covered with pollen every morning and the water became less clear although you could still see down 8 feet.

So I'm wondering if pollen also effects fish. I think it must. It would be like us breathing in smoke particulate.

Any limnologist care to enlighten me?
Doubtful. Compared to detritus turnover, algal blooms and sediment load events I think pollen contributions would be negligible.

Human reactions to pollen tend to be allergic in nature and not species wide; my wife is significantly affected but I don't suffer any negative impacts.

I could, however, see how vast quantities of floating pollen could disrupt trout surface feeding activity.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
after a month on the road and away from the forum, I was sitting here sampling some of the products I brought back from the wholesale liquor store in Calif. and I had to google to see if I was a limnologist. I'm not. But I would venture to say that if the fish are wheezing, have runny noses and watery eyes then the pollen just has to be the culprit. Hope this helps.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've noticed most years the lake fishing slows right after the cottonwood bloom and the yellow grass pollen is on the lake. I always felt it was just the stockers spreading out (and being thinned out) and becoming acclimated to lakes changing temperature and food. Now I wonder. I know I hate it. This stuff is my nemesis.

Attachments

• 20220626_102437.jpg
    20220626_102437.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 6

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hay fever has been rough on me this season.
I remember a season when I lived in Bend, OR and the lodge pole pine blooming was so thick the air was yellow.
Dry fly fishing on the Deschutes was impossible.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Doubtful. Compared to detritus turnover, algal blooms and sediment load events I think pollen contributions would be negligible.

Human reactions to pollen tend to be allergic in nature and not species wide; my wife is significantly affected but I don't suffer any negative impacts.

I could, however, see how vast quantities of floating pollen could disrupt trout surface feeding activity.
I was thinking about pollen and what it might do to trout once it becomes saturated, sinks and becomes part of the water's ecology. Scent to fish is very important - garlic powerbait - so I wondered if there's some scent (chemical reaction?) to pollen in the water that might put trout off, temporarily.....?

Drifting the thread: ten years ago I didn't seem to be bothered by any allergens. Anymore, active rhinitis really knocks me for a loop; just as I thought I was over any hayfever, yesterday there's something new in the air.

I am guessing that it had more of an effect on the caddis and damsels so that there wasn’t any reason for the fish to surface feed. I never felt I had much in the way of allergy to pollen until this year. My eyes have been extremely irritated and sticky the last two months. Pine pollen has been unreal this year.

ABITNF

Steelhead
I was always in wonder about the people I know being affected by pollen. "Quitchyer bellyakin", I'd say. Until a couple years ago. Now I'm one of them. Maybe as we age it affects us more.

headduck

Steelhead
My allergies have improved with time. I had a miserable itchy eyes snot nosed youth.

Cant imagine why fish wouldnt have allergies, they have immune systems dont they...

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
My allergies have improved with time. I had a miserable itchy eyes snot nosed youth.

Cant imagine why fish wouldnt have allergies, they have immune systems dont they...
I'm sure they have immune systems...the bubbles you occasionally see rising in a lake are probably pollen induced trout sneezes....or maybe just trout farts.