Point Brown

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Skunkola on the jetty today.

Screenshot_20230823_170415_Gallery.jpg

Waaay too rough for fly fishing, and marginal for the spin rod I have. Switched to the beach after donating a tuna jig to the rock spirits (rip 60g Colt Sniper :( ).

Screenshot_20230823_170457_Gallery.jpg

Surf on the beach wasn't any better but fishable with the spin rod. Fished a pair of these behind a bullet weight.

Screenshot_20230823_171915_Gallery.jpg

One OK sized perch, a small starry flounder, several sculpin, and the surprise catch was a tomcod. It was about the size of a typical stocker rainbow, so would've joined these two in the pan, but it wriggled out of my cargo pocket when a wave hit me.

Screenshot_20230823_161933_Gallery.jpg

Hoping the swell dies down so I can fish the jetty again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Shad

Life of the Party
Skunkola on the jetty today.

View attachment 79049

Waaay too rough for fly fishing, and marginal for the spin rod and I have. Switched to the beach after donating a tuna jig to the rock spirits (rip 60g Colt Sniper :( ).

View attachment 79048

Surf on the beach wasn't any better but fishable with the spin rod. Fished a pair of these behind a bullet weight.

View attachment 79046

One OK sized perch, a small starry flounder, several sculpin, and the surprise catch was a tomcod. It was about the size of a typical stocker rainbow, so would've joined these two in the pan, but it wriggled out of my cargo pocket when a wave hit me.

View attachment 79047

Hoping the swell dies down so I can fish the jetty again tomorrow.
Good job catching something in rough conditions. West/Southwest swell yesterday? That's usually what makes the north jetty too rough....

Bummer about that tuna jig. For that very reason, I only use cheap jig hooks with soft plastics on the rare occasion I fish those jetties. And yeah... I'm not sure the conditions are ever very good for fly fishing out there. The wind and surf usually discourage me pretty quickly.
Hope you have better conditions today, and good luck!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks. Yeah, swell was coming in fron the WSW. I was working the jig pretty shallow hoping for a coho. Survived the better part of an hour before it discovered an unseen rock. I do have some cheap jig hooks and plastics for rockfish, but given the presumed chances for salmon, I think I'll try the bullet weight trick with baitfish patterns.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's what I'm trying today. Using a hoochie stuffed with bullet weights as a casting weight and attractor for a fly about 2' behind. Also put some mono tags (feelers?) to deflect off of rocks. Plan on fishing this pretty shallow but we'll see...

Screenshot_20230824_084054_Gallery.jpg

Zak

Legend
Lol. It’s the board I made for my norvise. I don’t have the skills to make a nice table.

Multiple colors of blue epoxy, clear and white epoxy. Pour it in stripes parallel to the “shore”, then blow the white and clear epoxy with a heat gun to make the waves and foam.

View attachment 78910

^ This is version 2.0.

1.0 (below) was too small and didn’t look quite how I'd wanted it.

View attachment 78934

EDIT: I appreciate the folks who have already reached out to me about making them vice boards, but as I let them know going into the school year I won’t have the opportunity to make them for you, even if I was confident enough of my abilities to accept money. It's a nice compliment, though.
That looks amazing!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Swell was better today but nada off the jetty. The weighted hoochie/fly rig seemed to fish well, and at least felt like I wasn't wasting time. One note about the North Jetty is it seems relatively shallow compared to other jetties. Thinking it probably fishes best near high tide.

Shad

Life of the Party
Swell was better today but nada off the jetty. The weighted hoochie/fly rig seemed to fish well, and at least felt like I wasn't wasting time. One note about the North Jetty is it seems relatively shallow compared to other jetties. Thinking it probably fishes best near high tide.
I think that's true for both jetties. You're getting a good idea of how important timing and conditions are with that jetty fishing... all reaons I don't try it very often. That said, when you hit it right, it's a lot of fun.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did a lot of fishing but not much catching. The only things I caught off the jetty were a skinned knee and a snagged starfish. Two hours fly fishing the beach yesterday yielded 1 palm-sized starry flounder.

Take aways for next time are to get my ass out of bed and fish early regardless of tide stage. Saw birds diving within jig casting range of the jetty every morning. That said, I suspect both the jetty and the beach here fish better on the top half of the incoming.

Still, time spent in the surf is always enjoyable, and a great warmup for tuna later next month.

Thanks all for the tips!