PNW FF Albacore Trip w/ Capt. Nick Clayton

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
While I typically run my own boat for tuna, I am not Capt. @Nick Clayton. And I have a very comfy program that consists mostly of trolling with baitstops where we drop jigs. My boat is not very conducive to the fly rod, and I'm just too busy doing everything the captain does to do much besides my jigs (which I love doing, btw).

So, this year I want to go with the real deal, the best tuna fly Captain in the PNW at least once. There's spots for a few more (pending if @Josh and or @Billy want to go, since they have first dibs). It's many months out, but we need to get on the books soon. SEPT 9 is the date.

I don't have the per-person costs worked out, but expect it to be $500+/per at the very least.

Serious dudes only. If you have a tendency to flake, not pay, or any of the above, please don't make me herd cats :p - I'll make a list in order of who pays first once the grand total is given to me and I have a date.

This will likely be one of a few such trips organized on here this year with Nick. A few other members also like to do something similar. So if this boat fills up, you'll get more chances.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you ever have a last minute Friday commitment on your own boat I will drive as far as I need. I want to get a tuna on a jig.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Great idea, Evan, unfortunately for me this is one of those opportunities that makes me wish that I was younger and lived closer. Have fun!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
SEPT 9 is the date

Last edited:

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
Forum Supporter
Appreciate the organization and opportunity. If spots are still available, I would like to submit an application for this adventure.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Appreciate the organization and opportunity. If spots are still available, I would like to submit an application for this adventure.
You have to apply to fish with Evan B? Pretty exclusive... ;)

I tried to get on Nicks boat last year, but, my friends kind of copped out. I should just reserve the boat and say we're going this day, be there or be....

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
How weather sensitive is this fishery? Having just one day seems like a crap shoot?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
How weather sensitive is this fishery? Having just one day seems like a crap shoot?
Incredibly so. Especially last year. I typically get out a half dozen times a year on my own boat, last year I got out once and maybe missed one other real window. This year is forecasted to be kinder. Let's hope.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Definitely weather sensitive. Weather cancelations are not uncommon. There's no way to predict it in advance. Our weather calls are typically made 2 days prior to the trip. If we have to cancel, deposits are fully refundable of course.

Weather is just an unavoidable part of offshore fishing. That said, our boats are incredibly capable and we don't cancel unless we absolutely have to. For smaller boats last year was tough, for us we had the fewest weather cancels of any tuna season I've done. And believe me, if we do weather cancel, it's for good reason and you do NOT want to be out there.

One plus of Westport is that the bar almost never shuts us down. I've seen exactly 2 trips get cancelled due to bar closures in my time working down there, so at least that's not a concern.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
so far, @mooseknuckles is the only one with a deposit. We technically have two totally unclaimed seats left. @Justin Whitlock is wanting to lock one down soon, but is waiting for better timing on a deposit. But it's basically first come, first serve.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Very much so, which is why booking at least 2 days is a good idea. If you can only fish one day, IME Westport is by far the most reliable PNW tuna Port to get out, and on the best PNW tuna grounds.

It's also a good idea to get on a standby list (we really should start charter crew thread) since charter dropouts are also a frequent occurrence. Shit invariably happens. Stuff comes up and people can't make a trip they booked months ago. So by letting people know you're available to fill a seat, there's still a good chance you can get out on short notice if your booked charter is cancelled.

I look at PNW albacore fishing a bit like winter steelhead. Hitting the river at just the right stage, when it's dropping and that perfect green, is hit or miss at best. But the times you hit it right keep you coming back again.... and again...

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Very much so, which is why booking at least 2 days is a good idea. If you can only fish one day, IME Westport is by far the most reliable PNW tuna Port to get out, and on the best PNW tuna grounds.

It's also a good idea to get on a standby list (we really should start charter crew thread) since charter dropouts are also a frequent occurrence. Shit invariably happens. Stuff comes up and people can't make a trip they booked months ago. So by letting people know you're available to fill a seat, there's still a good chance you can get out on short notice if your booked charter is cancelled.

I look at PNW albacore fishing a bit like winter steelhead. Hitting the river at just the right stage, when it's dropping and that perfect green, is hit or miss at best. But the times you hit it right keep you coming back again.... and again...

That’s great idea. I have two booked as of today but if there was a last second cancellation on another day or if one of mine got cancelled, I could probably fill a seat fairly last second.

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter
You have to apply to fish with Evan B? Pretty exclusive... ;)

I tried to get on Nicks boat last year, but, my friends kind of copped out. I should just reserve the boat and say we're going this day, be there or be....

Do it.

It's not for me, but I know a few guys who would probably want in