PLUSH

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter

I'll be in and around Plush Oregon Monday and Tuesday. NO KIDS! Wife will be getting sunstones but that won't take the whole time then we will be exploring. I know of the main river down there but any honey holes, secrets, top secrets, anything else I should check out. Anything goes, warm water, lakes, rivers, streams, alpine lakes... If it's not internet worthy PM, I can keep my mouth shut. I'll be bringing my thermometer to check river temps.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Good luck rock hounding.
I don't know squat about fishing in that neck of the woods or should I say desert.
Me either. I'm curious about the water level on the Warner valley lakes. As a kid I would read one of the editions of 'fishing in oregon' and this area always seems a whole other world away. Some decent water levels and lots of panfish would keep me entertained.

Sagebrush

Smolt
I dont know that area that well but there is Ana resevoir, Ana River, Chewaucan river. For wildlife viewing, there is Hart mountain to the east for antelope. I would check with the Bend fly shops. Let us know what you find 🙂

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I dont know that area that well but there is Ana resevoir, Ana River, Chewaucan river. For wildlife viewing, there is Hart mountain to the east for antelope. I would check with the Bend fly shops. Let us know what you find 🙂
Will do, Lots of pics will be taken, put this new S22 phone camera to the test.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Well, took the rod but after doing the math, 15 hours driving for a one night trip we really only had time for one thing. Went through Chiloquin and Sprague on the way there. And back on hwy 31 through Paisley. One common theme is every body of water I wanted to check out was low slow frog water. Sprague river, Chewecan River, Spring creek, Wood river, Williamson river, Ana river,, Warner creek, all the other little creeks we passed over. Also all those huge lakes you see on maps (Abert, Silver, Summer), are not lakes, they are dry lake beds. After you get to Plush it's about 25 miles of gravel to the public site. We did that in the dark which was cool, I have never seen so many jackrabbits in my life, hundreds and hundreds, they were swarming, darting back and forth across the road in the headlights. Also saw several coyote and a very odd creature called a kangaroo rat that's hops on its back legs, never knew we had anything like that in Oregon. Got to camp and slept in the bed of the truck which was cool because the stars and silence out there is amazing. Saw a dozen or so meteors, the milky way and constellations we normally can't see. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, packed up, drove out to look for stones. The ground is basically sprinkled with tiny shards, and sometimes bigger chunks. I dug a hole and sifted but ended up not finding many that way, it's easier to walk around and pick the little ones up. Next time we go will be to a fee mine where we can get some bigger better stones.
20220830_142436.jpg
20220830_080536.jpg
Screenshot_20220829-163435_Chrome.jpg
20220830_081705.jpg
20220830_184244.jpg
20220830_091639.jpg
Eggs and @swimmy approved shorts
20220830_170429.jpg
20220830_081804.jpg
Roughing it, the dog begged to come.

Attachments

• 20220830_142436.jpg
    20220830_142436.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 2

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I didn’t know what Sunstones are, interesting. Do you make jewelry with them? Some of those ditches can hold some surprisingly large redband trout but best not molested in warm temperatures. In good water years the fishing can be very good but it takes some time to find it.

Sagebrush

Smolt
Dissapointing about the water levels, but not surprising with the drought conditions they've been experiencing in that area. Other than that it sounds like it was a good trip, and thanks for the great report

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I have an ex SIL that has had a few semesters in Geology. He used to drag me all over Washington to dig sites. Found some good stones. It's been so long since I had a rolling rock hit me. Not interested in finding more. I have a slight interest in rock hunting.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I didn’t know what Sunstones are, interesting. Do you make jewelry with them? Some of those ditches can hold some surprisingly large redband trout but best not molested in warm temperatures. In good water years the fishing can be very good but it takes some time to find it.
No jewelry, my wife just likes collecting stuff, most of the stones in the public area are small and not up to the clarity and shiller content of the gem quality stones. I'm sure we could of found some fishing higher up in the systems, where most roads cross is at the lower stretches and with our limited time we just couldn't make it happen. Oh well I got some serious karma banked now and I think I've earned a day to slip off somewhere soon. Thanks for the pointers, next year we want to go back there for hopefully a week and a cross boarder fishing trip is on the list.