Playing live music 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Played Friday night after the rodeo in Eburg with the Chukar Pluckers. The stage is nice and it turned out to be what allowed us to do the show at all, considering the storm that rolled in. This is 15 minutes before show time:
7189CD27-5D16-4C4C-882A-B577DB3582A6.png

Notice that sky! It had just started to rain, which is why people were sitting on the stage. Once it really started storming most people left because the stage was the only dry space. A few folks stuck around and danced through the downpour. Hard core!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
It had just started to rain,
Wait, it rained in E'burg? Is that every really allowed to happen? I'm a wet side native who's been through E'burg countless times, and it's never rained there. E'burg's in the middle of a desert, and it never rains in deserts. Well, almost never. Unless it's like what Ed Abbey wrote about Flat Rock, Utah. Which is also in the desert, where it hardly ever rains, but when it does, it's like a cow pissin' on a flat rock! So, is that what happened?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Wait, it rained in E'burg? Is that every really allowed to happen? I'm a wet side native who's been through E'burg countless times, and it's never rained there. E'burg's in the middle of a desert, and it never rains in deserts. Well, almost never. Unless it's like what Ed Abbey wrote about Flat Rock, Utah. Which is also in the desert, where it hardly ever rains, but when it does, it's like a cow pissin' on a flat rock! So, is that what happened?
Yup.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Modern gear is a technological marvel. As one who came up in the 90’s when big, heavy gear was the rule, even for small stages, I’m totally spoiled. My 4 lb amp, 40 lb speaker cab, and 1/2 lb preamp replace what would have been a litteral truck load of stuff 30 years ago. Playing out tonight with a couple of long haired freaky people :geek:
0E3E9E66-61F5-4717-BEF8-28453227673B.jpeg20CC56E9-5D3D-4406-98DD-46FAC7385C1A.jpeg

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Modern gear is a technological marvel. As one who came up in the 90’s when big, heavy gear was the rule, even for small stages, I’m totally spoiled. My 4 lb amp, 40 lb speaker cab, and 1/2 lb preamp replace what would have been a litteral truck load of stuff 30 years ago. Playing out tonight with a couple of long haired freaky people :geek:
View attachment 81194View attachment 81195
Reverend Decision! Huge fan of their instruments. I’ve got a Wattplower, Balch, three Volcanoes, three USA models, and two Hellhound combo amps.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
My opportunities to play out locally are starting to show up again.

My community theatre musical calls dried up when Covid started, with one local theatre company going under. I miss them.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Modern gear is a technological marvel. As one who came up in the 90’s when big, heavy gear was the rule, even for small stages, I’m totally spoiled. My 4 lb amp, 40 lb speaker cab, and 1/2 lb preamp replace what would have been a litteral truck load of stuff 30 years ago.
My last gig was a community theatre production of "Big Fish" in 2019 with an incredibly musically-diverse score. I used my little 30 lb Evans AE-200 (Archtop Electric-200 watt, 1-10" bass, 1-10" fullrange drivers) combo amp as a monitor, and a Pod HD-500 floor amp-effects modeler in the pit. I used a clean Fender Blackfaced Twin model for my dreadnaught and tenor banjo, clean Twin for electric (solid body) CW and early R&R, a Tweed Bassman model with a little dirt and tremolo for electric with the number notated with "Spaghetti Western" sound-feel, and a cranked Marshall Plexi model for the number notated with "Van Halen feel". I didn't have enough amp inputs for my mandolin and it was only needed in a soft soli section duet with a flute so I mic'd it. My amplification was small & light but roadies would have been nice for all of the instruments I had to schlep in every night.
1694982745190.png

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
@Brian Miller that’s good stuff. At heart, I’m just a rock and roll bass player. The good news is there’s a market for what I prefer to play and there are local venues who want bands on the weekends. I’ll take it.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Last gig of 2023 for me last night at Iron Horse Brewery tap room. It’s a tough room for sound; high ceilings, industrial feel, all hard surfaces. But people turned out! The band is all acoustic instruments, three piece, doing old country and bluegrass tunes.
0945ABFF-F484-4E79-9083-D759A34FC3EB.jpeg
437B613B-844B-4FED-AB01-9D8913B904AA.jpeg

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I expect exactly zero of this crowd to show up at the gig tonight at Graham's but I'm excited to play it!

Think loud obnoxious juvenile hardcore/punk/sludge played by middle-aged men.

And our first bit of merch is a throwback to the original Metalmücil GO HOME sticker.
KrontonamoGOHOME.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.