Planning a trip to Costa Rica

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This group on the board has a lot of travel experience and knowledge.
We want to plan a big (for us) family trip to Costa Rica this summer. Thinking 10-14 days, and it will be the whole fam damily which will include an 8 and a 6 year old next year. Maybe we will spend half the trip by one coast and half by another? Or half jungle, half beach? That’s one thing I’d like some input on from those who have been, of course—what were your favorite activities and accommodations?
When we went to Belize many moons ago somebody recommended a travel agent, Mary Toy. She was great, so helpful with suggestions, connections, travel in-country and setting things up. Do people still use travel agents? If so, any recos? We are busy folks and are happy to leverage any help and knowledge we can get, even if it costs a bit, which with Mary it did not cost us, not visibly anyway; the vendors we worked with apparently gave her a kick-back. All those peeps and places were great even though you can see potential for that system going awry.
Once we settle on an overall approach/locations etc., I will of course look into what fishing I’ll do. Would love to hear experiences and advice there as well. What’s the best way to experience Costa Rica? Thanks!

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We have been to CR a number of times. We liked the more remote areas, like the Osa peninsula. The places we stayed we reached by boat or a walking trail along the coast. You are close to Corcovado national park. The jungle and wildlife are incredible. Look up Drake Bay.
We avoided the Nicoya peninsula. Too touristy for us. Also the place where there are a lot surfers. Not what we wanted. We did visit the Caribbean side. While it is nice, the water was rather dirty and not as appealing as the Pacific side.
We also enjoyed the Guanacosta area outside of Liberia. Again, we stayed in a remote area.
We spent a Christmas in Monteverde and Santa Elena, a nice area.
We really didn’t spend much time in San Jose as the city is not what we wanted. It’s not “pretty” city.
One thing to know is that you can fly into Liberia and out of San Jose or vice versa?
I have couple of the travel books I would be willing to send you. PM your address if you would like me to send them to you.
It is a great place to explore.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Could be more helpful if you were going to do some surfing there.
West coast and east coast two different vibes, east side more Afro-Costa.
Mal Pais area a good hang, as is Nosara.
Jaco is a zoo, Tamarindo has gotten very busy, still a good hang for families.
My fave is the south Pacific, Osa Penninsula. And what used to be known simply as Phils' Cabinas, now the Nature Lodge, is a great hang. Gorgeous grounds, accomodations overlooking the Golfo Dolce towards Panama, excellent food, great beaches without a crowd.
Fishing opportunities abound from both the beaches and many charter operations operating out of the nearby towns.
If you were a surfer, I'd message you about the right hand points.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve been a couple times…but I don’t have an itinerary for a family gathering…I fished out of Rio Tortugera on the gulf side for monster tarpon & snook…and watched the turtle hatchlings scramble to the sea…wish I was into fly fishing back then. Spent three days river rafting/camping the Pacuare river…backpacked up to the summit of Mt Chirripo, where from the top you can see the Pacific & the Atlantic…and caught monster roosterfish on the pacific side (we stayed at the Four Seasons, my wife’s idea of roughing it) and I rented a jet ski and trolled plugs with spinning rod, caught quite a few school tuna.

I would agree with Scott Salzar and not spend any time in San Jose…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I've never been, but if I were to go (may be sooner than later since I have a buddy looking at real estate down there), I'd be headed somewhere to the Pacific side and get after some grande roosters!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Matt, I know it's not apples to apples, but when my wife booked our place in Loreto last June, she just went the Airbnb route & we couldn't have been happier with the place. Probably would take a bit more research where that's concerned though....just something to look into.

Crawbugger

Steelhead
Drake bay and Corcovado park on the Pacific side and Selva Verde biological reserve on the Atlantic side. Both places were beyond words. The fishing was fantastic at Drake bay. The place we stayed had kayaks for guests to use and a cool little river full of snapper and jesus lizards. It was a very cool place to spend a couple weeks.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
completely forgot about the herping! that would be really fun!

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Btw - the Paquare trip is great . We did the overnight which was before zip lines. My older son and I got ejected at the same rapid. Then, there is the rapid that has so much air on it that you sink, with life jackets, and pop up later. Exciting and safe with their chase kayaks. Highly recommended.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have been to Costa Rica 5-6 times. One of our favorite vacation spots. It is also one of the only places I have been to multiple times that I have not fished. Headed back in a couple months and might fix that. We’ll see. Generally though, our days are pretty jammed packed with other wildlife stuff. There are tons of parks and reserves to explore that are teeming with wild things my wife can photograph.

We prefer to rent a car and travel around which allows us to see lots of different spots.

Some favorites over the years include:

Nicola Peninsula. Not the ocean side though, especially up north near Tamarindo. As someone mentioned, pretty built up/touristy. The Gulf side around the tip south to Mal Pais is really nice though. Especially from Paquera south. There are some cool preserves and parks there (Curu and Playa Blanco).

Monte Verde is a cool town as well. It’s well known so you will not be the only tourista around but lots of preserves to spread out in. The Monte Verde cloud forest preserve is the most famous and worth checking out. A small one we really like is Curi Cancha but there a bunch worth exploring.

Other spots we’ve enjoyed were the the Arenal area. A couple of parks you can hit from there including Arenal and Cano Negro. Rio Naranjo is a decent area to stay a day or two as well as it gives you access to a number of parks via day trips as well like Palo Verde and Tenorio.

One area we have a love hate relationship with but might work for you is Manual Antonio/Quepos. Two reasons we go: there is an amazing property down there called Tulemar we love to stay at. Home to the sloth sanctuary which releases rehabilitated ones on the property but also tons of wildlife. Nothing like relaxing in the pool while groups of howler, squirel and white face monkeys swing by in the trees. Tons other other wildlife as well on the property. It also has its own beach and hiking trails but can get pricy, especially if you rent a house or villa. The other reason is you can do (long) day trips to Corcovado from there. Not ideal but doable if you are not staying down there. Manual Antonio park itself is a bit of a shit show we try to avoid these days. Tons of wildlife but very crowded. A little less so since they closed the beach in the park to swimming but still not great. Good for kids though as it is a guarantee you’ll see some cool stuff.

Finally Corcovado. We have only done day trips there but will be spending a week there on our upcoming trip. Really amazing place. If you can swing it, go.

I can go on for days. We’ve stayed a lot of places in Costa Rica. I have only mentioned a few. I think you’ll love it, great people, food, and tons to do. Have fun…some random pics from last trip to help pump you up ;).

IMG_1938.jpeg

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1936.jpeg

IMG_1940.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
the Monte Verde Cloud Forest is one of a kind...first night there in a mountaintop lodge, a gorgeous Scarlet Macaw flew in through the open window ten minutes walking back and forth on the window sill, 'chatting'...hikes thorugh the forest a non-stop wildlife collage of every sort. If you don't like spiders, should likely avoid the denser forest and jungle areas...lol
One thing to keep in mind is what season you go...during rain season it will seriously dump. Have driven out to surf a point in the south over a dirt road that on the return trip later in the day had 3' of water to ford in several areas...which is why we always rented either Nissan Patrols or 4Runners...roads down there can be brutal...and the drivers can be insane, come around a corner and suddenly realize a car is coming at you that is passing on a blind curve....why you see so many crosses on the side of the road. Best not driving at night once out of the metro

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
the Monte Verde Cloud Forest is one of a kind...first night there in a mountaintop lodge, a gorgeous Scarlet Macaw flew in through the open window ten minutes walking back and forth on the window sill, 'chatting'...hikes thorugh the forest a non-stop wildlife collage of every sort. If you don't like spiders, should likely avoid the denser forest and jungle areas...lol
One thing to keep in mind is what season you go...during rain season it will seriously dump. Have driven out to surf a point in the south over a dirt road that on the return trip later in the day had 3' of water to ford in several areas...which is why we always rented either Nissan Patrols or 4Runners...roads down there can be brutal...and the drivers can be insane, come around a corner and suddenly realize a car is coming at you that is passing on a blind curve....why you see so many crosses on the side of the road. Best not driving at night once out of the metro
I've rented a 4x4 as well...and concur that most of the drivers consider stop signs and lights "optional"...driving out of the Chirripo National Park was like driving in a dirt Nascar race...