Pizza oven thread

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Slowly, slowly. My sad excuses for masonry work are starting to look like a thing.

1000005326.jpg

Thankfully, all you see there will not be the visible outer layer, so aesthetics aren't much of a consideration at the moment.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Really struggling to come up with a chimney solution because it's kind of underneath the gazebo structure. Double wall stove pipes are 'spensive :(

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Really struggling to come up with a chimney solution because it's kind of underneath the gazebo structure. Double wall stove pipes are 'spensive :(
We're you planning a straight up chimney from the top of the dome, or an offset one at the back??

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
The chimneys typically come off the front. Here's @mcswny 's while he was building it

View attachment 105859
Ok. I was thinking reversing that and have your chimney to the rear, or to one side so it would clear your problem.
It's been 50 years since vocational school masonry shop. While I liked doing stone, glass block,fireplaces and ovens, I wasn't fond of the rest of it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ok. I was thinking reversing that and have your chimney to the rear, or to one side so it would clear your problem.
It's been 50 years since vocational school masonry shop. While I liked doing stone, glass block,fireplaces and ovens, I wasn't fond of the rest of it.
I’m not a mason, but the the oven supposedly functions best with the chimney up front. It’s technically not even in the dome, it’s in front of it, above the landing.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I’m not a mason, but the the oven supposedly functions best with the chimney up front. It’s technically not even in the dome, it’s in front of it, above the landing.
Heh, I'm not one either. Never used those skills. Seems strange to me it's up front, but , hey, the plans are from someone who actually did this for a living....

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Heh, I'm not one either. Never used those skills. Seems strange to me it's up front, but , hey, the plans are from someone who actually did this for a living....
"
Napoli and Vesuvio Pizza Ovens Use the Center Vent Design
In the traditional wood oven ventilation design, the vent is located in front of, and above, the oven opening, and the chimney runs straight up. The vent and chimney create a strong draw, helping pull hot air out of the oven chamber and increasing the oven’s natural convection. While a wood oven will “work” without a vent and chimney, a properly designed oven ventilation system will significantly improve air movement and oven performance while keeping smoke away from the chef. The traditional design can work either with, or without, side walls that enclose the vent.

The center vent design has also been used widely over the years in both pizza ovens and bread ovens. Like the traditional ventilation design, the vent creates a strong draw, helping pull hot air out of the oven. Additionally, because the hot air is pulled directly across the top of the oven dome, this ventilation design can help evenly heat the oven and help the dome maintain high pizza baking temperatures. The center vent design is used in Naples-style pizza ovens, where they often call the vent a hood, or second dome.

You really can’t go wrong with either design and in some ways the question of which ventilation method works better for you may depend as much on design ascetics as it does on functionality. Forno Bravo manufactures ovens using both ventilation methods.
"

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 9.01.20 PM.png

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I kinda like this center design. Solves a few problems for me. Need to look in to ways to build that.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Absolutely perfect pre spring night for this

View attachment 106183
Not jealous of your completed oven at all 😔

Nor am I lamenting missing a perfect day I probably could have finished the dome. Now I have a week of poop weather ahead.

Buuuuut... I think boat and oven projects have a good shot in a week

1000005361.jpg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
These last couple courses of brick are brutal, especially with this larger sized oven. Probably going to take a second set of hands for the last couple since you have to reach inside over the top to properly prop the brick up to keep it from sliding off.

Taken from a distance so you can't see the detail of my sorry brick work 😂 the important thing is that this will all be covered with insulation and stucco.

1000005394.jpg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Other than my chimney, the main structure is now completed ish. Still need to insulate and encase in stucco, but the brick work is about done.

Can't wait to conceal this offensive masonry from discerning eyes 😂

1000005507.jpg

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Other than my chimney, the main structure is now completed ish. Still need to insulate and encase in stucco, but the brick work is about done.

Can't wait to conceal this offensive masonry from discerning eyes 😂

View attachment 107790
Scrape off and clean the interior dome while you can still get to it. Otherwise bits of mortar will spawl off , onto your food for quite some time.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Scrape off and clean the interior dome while you can still get to it. Otherwise bits of mortar will spawl off , onto your food for quite some time.
Yup already have. I also used a wet sponge to wipe down each course while the mortar was still fresh. Obviously couldn't do that easily once I got to the top though. But the inside is clean.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yup already have. I also used a wet sponge to wipe down each course while the mortar was still fresh. Obviously couldn't do that easily once I got to the top though. But the inside is clean.
I was hoping so, after seeing the exterior photo. 😉😉😉