Pizza oven thread

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Ignoring the wood building/launching peel for a minute...

Do you all have both a turning peel AND a metal peel for removal? Or do you just turn with the metal peel (or remove with the turning peel)?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Found this on a Youtube channel we like.

Probably one of the best Youtube channels in existence. I know it's not as "organic" and "this is my real life" as it appears, but it's still a relaxing look in to a pretty fascinating world. I always jived with it because I just love doing so many things the "hard" or "old" way when it comes to food and drink.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Do you all have both a turning peel AND a metal peel for removal? Or do you just turn with the metal peel (or remove with the turning peel)?
I’m not sure if I’m understanding the question but I’ll try.

I have two peels: 1 wooden roughly 12-14” in diameter and about 3 feet long. That’s for building and putting the pizza in the oven. And 1 metal one about 10-12” round diameter and 5’ long and that’s for turning and removing from the oven

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
That answers my question. That's a "turning peel" and you also use it for removal, which makes sense to me.
Yeah, even though my metal peel (turning/removal) is significantly smaller and diameter than my pizza, it doesn’t flop off because the crust gets rigid in the oven

Adrian M

Smolt

I personally have 2 peels and want more! But the two categories that I know of are the launching peel and turning peel. I have one of each. Turning peel benefit is to turn the pizza while keeping it in the oven. The launching peel can theoretically be used to rotate your pizza, but depending on the size of the oven, you would need to pull it all the way out and use your hands to rotate. I bought both peels on amazon for about $15/each. Screws usually come loose but a little Lock-Tite solved that issue. Turning peel is money when it comes to rotating.

et64

Smolt

I have been using my metal peel for both turning and removing. In the future I will probably pick up a turning peel, but what I have is working for me at the moment.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My fingers are raw
Dude mortar will totally thrash your hands, it’s a chemical thing not just the abrasion, which doesn’t help. If they’re really really bad, you can slather them with petroleum jelly and into nitrile gloves overnight. It will help. Also bag balm like @iggie says or “Working hands” cream.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wrap your fingertips with sport tape, afterwards rub some Bag Balm into your hands,
Dude mortar will totally thrash your hands, it’s a chemical thing not just the abrasion, which doesn’t help. If they’re really really bad, you can slather them with petroleum jelly and into nitrile gloves overnight. It will help. Also bag balm like @iggie says or “Working hands” cream.
Listen to @iggie, he knows of what he speaks.

They're really not that bad, it was mostly just from them being so damn cold.

Im going fishing tomorrow, so I hope they're actually thrashed after that ;)