Pizza oven thread

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Took this off the back of my unitView attachment 75990

Am going to dig into the instruction manual. I swear when I read it it mentioned 2500W or more. Might have been at start up/ preheat.

I found the 14 ga extension cord getting warm. Manual says use 12ga. Which I thought is what it was using. So replaced it with proper ga and no heating issues

It definitely does not pull more than 1800w. Anything higher would flip your breaker and/or burn out your outlet.

Not all cords are equal. A lot of “14ga” cords are poor quality and cannot sustain 1800w. It never hurts to go a size larger, when in doubt. Any cord that you care about should also be UL listed. That generally means they won’t be too bad.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I used the Ninja oven twice, this weekend; once for reverse searing steaks and just now for pizzas. I’m very happy with it. I couldn’t be bothered taking photos, but it worked great; it took 15 minutes to get to 700f and ripped through 4 pizzas in no time. The versatility is awesome; we don’t have space for a pizza oven, smoker, oven, air fryer, dehydrator, etc.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
That's what we like about this unit, using it with our camper (seperate pedestal circuit from the 30amp plug for the converter.) It does all but the pizza, and I think with a little work using its griddle instead of the grill, it might even do that.

Whats impressive is the speed it gets things done. We've relied heavily on it, doing everything from chops with gussied up green beans (bacon, slivered almonds), to chicken and steaks, even making fajitas one night.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
That's what we like about this unit, using it with our camper (seperate pedestal circuit from the 30amp plug for the converter.) It does all but the pizza, and I think with a little work using its griddle instead of the grill, it might even do that.

Whats impressive is the speed it gets things done. We've relied heavily on it, doing everything from chops with gussied up green beans (bacon, slivered almonds), to chicken and steaks, even making fajitas one night.

If you get a 12 inch pizza stone and put it on top of the grill plate, it will definitely do pizzas. I considered it myself, before opting for the oven. The only caveat is that it won’t get hot enough for “pro” level pizza.

If pizzas aren’t a primary use case, I think the grills are actually much more versatile than the oven.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I sure envy so many of everyone's oven's, designs, and techniques. Being stuck in this apartment till rates are more favorable I have had to get good at the NY methods. Most of everyone's ovens are dream ovens to me. In due time. I am working to have a nice back patio with an outside kitchen.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I sure envy so many of everyone's oven's, designs, and techniques. Being stuck in this apartment till rates are more favorable I have had to get good at the NY methods. Most of everyone's ovens are dream ovens to me. In due time. I am working to have a nice back patio with an outside kitchen.

You can do pretty good pizza in a home oven. I do this when I’m at my FIL’s house and it’s definitely not the oven making the sub par pizza, it’s the dough.

1. Preheat oven as hot as possible with stone in for 45-60 minutes (not ideal in the summer).

2. Build your pie in your peel.

3. Get the pie in the preheated oven

4. Immediately switch it to BROIL.

This essentially will mimic a wood fired oven cooking the pizza on all sides.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Be sure to put corn meal on the peel before placing the dough on it, to facilitate sliding off the peel.
Along these lines. I have two peels: a wooden one for building my pies and transferring to the oven. And a metal one for spinning and removing from the oven.

It’s easier to get raw dough off of a wood peel and the thinner metal peels are easier to get under a half cooked pie to turn it.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Along these lines. I have two peels: a wooden one for building my pies and transferring to the oven. And a metal one for spinning and removing from the oven.

It’s easier to get raw dough off of a wood peel and the thinner metal peels are easier to get under a half cooked pie to turn it.

I started out with the same strategy. It is definitely optimal, from a pizza construction perspective. However, throughput is limited to the number of peels that you have (ie. one). When entertaining, having to run back and forth was exhausting.

I ended up buying 6 of the stainless steel trays below. This allows us to make all the pizzas at once, take them all outside and launch them in a more leisurely fashion. When all the pizzas are done, the trays go in the dishwasher.

Adrian M

Smolt
I'm a bit of a pizza guy myself. I have an Ooni Karu 16, mostly because my wife won't let me build a brick oven in the backyard. The Ooni's are portable and cook a mean pizza.

One thing to keep in mind is that pizza is just bread with sauce and toppings. Doesn't matter if you have the cheap version (home oven), the grill add-ons, the backyard oven (Ooni), a pizza stone (inferior oven option), pizza steel (superior oven option), or if you order. Just eat pizza.

So my Ooni can have an air temperature of around 950F with gas and over 1000F with wood. The stone temperature is what matters the most as it will cook the thin Neapolitan style crust from the bottom up. This should be around 750-850F.

To me, for pizza to be amazing, the crust is the priority. Thickness, flavor, texture, airiness, etc. I do a 3 day cold prove pizza dough. In the oven or the Ooni, it's amazing. I love the thread and I love all the backyard brick ovens. super jealous. :)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Did tuna fishing get in the way of a certain pizza oven build?
Yes and no. Need to go get my insulating floor bricks then can continue. But.. Have tuna Friday and friends visiting Sat-Thurs. It'll get going again after that.

1000003306.jpg

The mixer shit the bed at the start of this slab pour so got to do it all by hand, which was fun.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Progress today because @mcswny finally was healthy enough to provide me with adult supervision

1000003807.jpg
Got this insulating subfloor layer done and the oven floor laid on top of it. Next step is to cut the actual floor bricks now that they've been traced. Didn't get a photo of that layer before the tarp went over them though.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Be sure to put corn meal on the peel before placing the dough on it, to facilitate sliding off the peel.
I’ve had some disasters when the pizza dough sticks to the peel and won’t slide onto the stone. But all the toppings slid off and caught fire on the stone 🙁

Last time it happened I managed to salvage things into a slightly burnt calzone, which was actually “ok”. At least I ate it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve had some disasters when the pizza dough sticks to the peel and won’t slide onto the stone. But all the toppings slid off and caught fire on the stone 🙁

Last time it happened I managed to salvage things into a slightly burnt calzone, which was actually “ok”. At least I ate it.
Don't worry, I do this every so often. Couple of tips:
1. I build my pizzas on a floured wood peel, but turn and remove from oven with a metal peel. Raw dough sticks less to wood but its much easier to get under it with thin metal once in the oven.
2. Make sure your peel is well floured and test its movement on the peel before trying to get it off the peel.
3. Once the dough is stretched and toppings are on it, the timer is ticking to get it off the peel. You want to get it off the peel asap because the flour on the peel will start absorbing moisture from the sauce and toppings making it want to stick.
4. Once the toppings are on, you can lift an edge and blow under the pie. Think about it like an air hockey table. Getting a bit of air under the pie will also help it slide off easier.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Don't worry, I do this every so often. Couple of tips:
1. I build my pizzas on a floured wood peel, but turn and remove from oven with a metal peel. Raw dough sticks less to wood but its much easier to get under it with thin metal once in the oven.
2. Make sure your peel is well floured and test its movement on the peel before trying to get it off the peel.
3. Once the dough is stretched and toppings are on it, the timer is ticking to get it off the peel. You want to get it off the peel asap because the flour on the peel will start absorbing moisture from the sauce and toppings making it want to stick.
4. Once the toppings are on, you can lift an edge and blow under the pie. Think about it like an air hockey table. Getting a bit of air under the pie will also help it slide off easier.
Thanks for the tips. A wood peel sounds like a good idea for the initial build and launch. I just have a metal one.

I use a lot of corn meal and the pies usually slide off ok. Sometimes too well and they slam up against the back of the oven ( I just have a small Ooni propane).

One thing I struggle with is all that cornmeal goes onto the stone also and catches fire. So I have a flame right next to the crust and it blackens it. I wonder if a squirt bottle of water would work to douse the cornmeal fires.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tips. A wood peel sounds like a good idea for the initial build and launch. I just have a metal one.

I use a lot of corn meal and the pies usually slide off ok. Sometimes too well and they slam up against the back of the oven ( I just have a small Ooni propane).

One thing I struggle with is all that cornmeal goes onto the stone also and catches fire. So I have a flame right next to the crust and it blackens it. I wonder if a squirt bottle of water would work to douse the cornmeal fires.

Sounds like you’re using way too much cornmeal. Wood or perforated metal peel is essential. The solid metal ones grip too much.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

I use flour, not cornmeal and I prefer it

et64

Smolt
I have been using semolina instead of cornmeal, which seems to burn less (less sugars?). This summer I ran out of semolina in the middle of making pizza. I started using the technique that mcswny uses (flour and blowing underneath), and it has been working far better than using semolina on the peel.