Pikeminnow on the fly

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any guesses on the weight of that giant one you caught? The WA state record is 7.92 lbs.

I got one over 4# many years ago. I recall reading that before the dams went in they got much bigger. Big, but maybe not as big as the closely related Colorado pikeminnow which, if you can believe Wikipedia, once exceeded 6' and 100#.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Used to catch those nasty things on a Bitterroot side channel. Yuck.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Caught one that snapped #8 test line, when I picked up by the line, half way out of the water. The face (mouth) had to be 5” wide…and one only a mother could love. 😳

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I got one over 4# many years ago. I recall reading that before the dams went in they got much bigger. Big, but maybe not as big as the closely related Colorado pikeminnow which, if you can believe Wikipedia, once exceeded 6' and 100#.
That would be fun...

Honestly though my largest was a bit over the 2' mark, but sleek, so probably right around that 4-5lb range. Definitely not a fat slob hanging out under a dam getting fat. Didn't fight like it either...

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
That would be fun...

Honestly though my largest was a bit over the 2' mark, but sleek, so probably right around that 4-5lb range. Definitely not a fat slob hanging out under a dam getting fat. Didn't fight like it either...
Yah…after the initial run and few head shakes, it’s like hauling in a wet beach towel. 😉

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That would be fun...

The fish nerd in me imagines comparing pre/post dam pikeminnow, akin to native vs planter rainbows. Sleek, hard fighting, vs fat slob, wet rag.

Easy to forget the main Columbia once had rapids and waterfalls. Not to mention a virtually limitless prey supply.

Back then, Pikeminnow filled the same niche as Sheefish, Musky, Taimen, and Mahseer in their respective environments. Of those I imagine Mahseer being the closest match also being a Cyprinid predator in the big/fast flowing Himalayan rivers. If Northern PM reached similar historical Colorado PM sizes (6' , 100#), it's conceivable they even preyed on adult salmon.

Fun stuff to think about, but also think it's a good thing to not let what once was be forgotten completely. For reference:

Golden Mahseer:

Screenshot_20240420_081127_Chrome.jpg

Colorado Pikeminnow:

Screenshot_20240420_081013_Chrome.jpg

Possible record Northern Pikeminnow:

Screenshot_20240420_082821_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I’m not finding confirmation with online search but I’m pretty sure I learned from a USGS research bio that NPM have a basic, rather than acidic, digestive system. Any of the experts out there able to confirm? The conversation was about analyzing gut contents and the different lab processes that NPM required.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My friend and I would go out in late summer afternoons and fish the weed edges on the Columbia River around Lincoln Rock park.
We would use an olive bead head bugger maybe catch 50 or more each.
All were small 6 to 10".
Break their necks and feed to the bass. There's some mighty big bass around there.