Pickled Eggs, Sausage or Bologna

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Had some eggs I needed to use and some leftover juice from one of my favorite condiments, pepperoncinis.
Added red onion and garlic gloves. Will be interesting to see how these turn out.
An epic egg salad sandwich may be in my future.
@Nick Clayton I’ll save some for you! 😂
SF

IMG_7260.jpegIMG_7261.jpeg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Had some eggs I needed to use and some leftover juice from one of my favorite condiments, pepperoncinis.
Added red onion and garlic gloves. Will be interesting to see how these turn out.
An epic egg salad sandwich may be in my future.
@Nick Clayton I’ll save some for you! 😂
SF

I'd rather scrape some growth off your Explorer and eat that ;)

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
How did I miss this thread!

I love nearly all pickled and fermented things.

Peeled and shredded broccoli stem makes a great ferment of quick pickle, especially banh mi style.

Eggs pickled in leftover pickled beet brine are my favorite.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I make pickled coho every year. Super easy and a great way to preserve the harvest. Tastes great too!

View attachment 111264
Filet, pin bone out and portion into pieces that will comfortably fit into glass or plastic container.
View attachment 111265
Coat generously with non-iodized salt. Don’t skimp on the salt! You can keep fish packed in salt like this for over a year in the fridge, I’ve done so and no issues. I let mine go for at least a few months before finishing the pickling process.
View attachment 111266
Once the fish is thoroughly preserved in salt take it out and rinse well. Then slice thinly and start the refreshing process. This involves soaking the cut pieces in fresh cold water. I usually do several changes of water and soak for around 6 hours or so. You are removing salt during this process and you should taste along the way. You should err on the side of too salty vs not salty enough as your brine will not contain salt.
View attachment 111268
Once your fish is refreshed to your liking set aside and prepare the rest of the ingredients. I generally stick with onions, fresh dill and a hot chili or two. Dried fish peppers seemed like the appropriate choice last year.
View attachment 111267
To make the brine combine two parts vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar) to one part sugar. You can add pickling spices as well. I like allspice, coriander and black peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cool completely once sugar is dissolved. Layer fish pieces with onions into glass or plastic container and cover with the cold brine. Keep under refrigeration and let sit for at least a week before eating.
View attachment 111269
Duuuuude, I want to put that on sourdough rye toast (rugbrod) with sone fresh cucumber and lebneh