Pickled Eggs, Sausage or Bologna

BriGuy

Life of the Party
A woman I used to work with would often bring in pickled garlic cloves. They were great! You had to be careful about eating too many, though.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A woman I used to work with would often bring in pickled garlic cloves. They were great! You had to be careful about eating too many, though.

But you feared no vampires afterwards….. 😉
SF

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I love pickled herring. Favorite commercially available ones are the ones from Paulsbo, but man have they gotten pricey. Costco sells a decent Canadian import that is reasonably priced, but not quite as good as the Paulsbo ones.

RCF

Life of the Party
Since the OP said he liked vinegar...

Not a fan of pickles nor pickled xx or yy - will leave it at that.

Now wilted lettuce salad with bacon, brown sugar, and vinegar hot dressing - heaven! May not be good for you, but so good tasting, not to be missed. (occasionally)..

Have not seen it mentioned above: Hot German potato salad. Vinegar and bacon are definitely components of the dressing...

Notice a trend here ---> Bacon and Vinegar?

Last edited:

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I liked pickled food in general. Kimchi is great. Pickled Herring, yum. Sure wish I could find fresh herring to pickle, I'm with you on that Brian.

I am trying to wrap my brain around pickled Bologna. I don't normally like Bologna, but, just like anything with bacon, anything pickled sounds good. Got to try it sometime.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Brian @Stonedfish - I'm not sure about pickled bologna but I do like pickled daikon, kimchi (I haven't tried kimchi with pickled fish), sauerkraut is a favorite (hotdog without is just not quite right). My wife pickles red onions from time to time as well as daikon (with a little purple shiso). Drifting a bit but my wife also ferments soy beans. We love natto over rice with a fried egg.

@SteelHeadDave - WOW on your pickled coho! That I would love to try.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I make pickled coho every year. Super easy and a great way to preserve the harvest. Tastes great too!

View attachment 111264
Filet, pin bone out and portion into pieces that will comfortably fit into glass or plastic container.
View attachment 111265
Coat generously with non-iodized salt. Don’t skimp on the salt! You can keep fish packed in salt like this for over a year in the fridge, I’ve done so and no issues. I let mine go for at least a few months before finishing the pickling process.
View attachment 111266
Once the fish is thoroughly preserved in salt take it out and rinse well. Then slice thinly and start the refreshing process. This involves soaking the cut pieces in fresh cold water. I usually do several changes of water and soak for around 6 hours or so. You are removing salt during this process and you should taste along the way. You should err on the side of too salty vs not salty enough as your brine will not contain salt.
View attachment 111268
Once your fish is refreshed to your liking set aside and prepare the rest of the ingredients. I generally stick with onions, fresh dill and a hot chili or two. Dried fish peppers seemed like the appropriate choice last year.
View attachment 111267
To make the brine combine two parts vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar) to one part sugar. You can add pickling spices as well. I like allspice, coriander and black peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cool completely once sugar is dissolved. Layer fish pieces with onions into glass or plastic container and cover with the cold brine. Keep under refrigeration and let sit for at least a week before eating.
View attachment 111269
It reminds me a little of lomi salmon, which is a Hawaii staple…it starts with salted salmon, which is then rinsed off, cut into small cubes and tossed with chopped tomato, onion and green onion. Hawaiians crewing whaling ships back in the day brought back salted salmon to the islands…

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I’ve been enjoying this lately. Must be because it has vinegar in it. 😉
Pickled baby corn is also very good.
SF

IMG_7145.jpeg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
MIL #1 was from Oklahoma and a master at Mid-West comfort food. She did self-pickled cucumbers that were amazing. She'd stuff fresh pickling cukes in sterilized jars, with a few cloves of garlic and dill sprigs. IIRC, the rest was simple, add salt but cant remember if she added boiling or cooled boiled water. Attach lids and store in a cool dark place. I was leery the first time I tried them but they were crisp and delicious.

She also pickled water melon rinds. But not self fermented. A jar of those had a life expectancy of less than a day in our house.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There a few different ones out there but I have basically used Trader Joe’s. It’s got a bit of kick but not over the top.

JudyM

Steelhead
I make pickled coho every year. Super easy and a great way to preserve the harvest. Tastes great too!

View attachment 111264
Filet, pin bone out and portion into pieces that will comfortably fit into glass or plastic container.
View attachment 111265
Coat generously with non-iodized salt. Don’t skimp on the salt! You can keep fish packed in salt like this for over a year in the fridge, I’ve done so and no issues. I let mine go for at least a few months before finishing the pickling process.
View attachment 111266
Once the fish is thoroughly preserved in salt take it out and rinse well. Then slice thinly and start the refreshing process. This involves soaking the cut pieces in fresh cold water. I usually do several changes of water and soak for around 6 hours or so. You are removing salt during this process and you should taste along the way. You should err on the side of too salty vs not salty enough as your brine will not contain salt.
View attachment 111268
Once your fish is refreshed to your liking set aside and prepare the rest of the ingredients. I generally stick with onions, fresh dill and a hot chili or two. Dried fish peppers seemed like the appropriate choice last year.
View attachment 111267
To make the brine combine two parts vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar) to one part sugar. You can add pickling spices as well. I like allspice, coriander and black peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cool completely once sugar is dissolved. Layer fish pieces with onions into glass or plastic container and cover with the cold brine. Keep under refrigeration and let sit for at least a week before eating.
View attachment 111269
I would love this, BUT the sugar would send my glucose blood level off the charts while I watch it rise. I am wearing a Libre 3. Thanks for recipe!! BTW, Newport, Oregon has a herring run in February that you can jig for.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I love just about anything pickled. Except eggs. Looks like I'll need to have Matt frisked prior to letting him on the boat next time. Pickled eggs in my cabin just can't be allowed!

Pickled asparagus is pretty high up on my list.

Pickled salmon might be my all time favorite. Pickled pink is friggen fantastic.