Pickled Eggs, Sausage or Bologna

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone else enjoy these? Anything with vinegar is great in my opinion.
I've done pickled eggs, which were very good. My buddy gave me some pickled sausages that he made that were great. I plan to try making some pickled bologna.
If you make any of these, please share your recipes especially your brines.
SF

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I do like pickled veggies of all sorts, but haven't tried eggs or sausages yet. I lived in China for several years; they really like their pickles there, and have cool earthenware pickle jars with primitive airlocks, that have a rim around that you put water in so any gasses can get out but nothing gets in. Not a novel concept, but effective.

Regarding another pickle, of sorts, kimchi, Koreans have the same type of pot, but usually large enough for 3-4 heads of cabbage. According to those in the know, the best kimchi pots to buy are ones fired in the winter, so that when they're cooling, more air channels to the outside open up, supposedly improving the taste of the kimchi. Once I asked a Korean woman how long kimchi is good for, and she looked at me like I'd asked if Tuesday was yellow. She told me, it only gets better and better to the end!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I do like pickled veggies of all sorts, but haven't tried eggs or sausages yet. I lived in China for several years; they really like their pickles there, and have cool earthenware pickle jars with primitive airlocks, that have a rim around that you put water in so any gasses can get out but nothing gets in. Not a novel concept, but effective.

Regarding another pickle, of sorts, kimchi, Koreans have the same type of pot, but usually large enough for 3-4 heads of cabbage. According to those in the know, the best kimchi pots to buy are ones fired in the winter, so that when they're cooling, more air channels to the outside open up, supposedly improving the taste of the kimchi. Once I asked a Korean woman how long kimchi is good for, and she looked at me like I'd asked if Tuesday was yellow. She told me, it only gets better and better to the end!

Yep, pickled veggies are great. I especially enjoy pickled asparagus. Pickled red onion or cucumbers in white or red wine vinegar are another favorite.
I've been on a four bean salad tear lately.
SF

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I love pickles…amongst my favorite are watermelon rind and dried shiitake…

I grew up eating kimchi, and defied death several times stealing a gallon jar of cucumber/octopus kimchi from the garage refrigerator…going to my fishing buddy’s house where I would have to stay for several days while my Korean mother cooled down…

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Anyone else enjoy these? Anything with vinegar is great in my opinion.
I've done pickled eggs, which were very good. My buddy gave me some pickled sausages that he made that were great. I plan to try making some pickled bologna.
If you make any of these, please share your recipes especially your brines.
SF
Yeah, big vinegar fan here, too. Dad's side of the family is German.
I make quick-pickled eggs pretty frequently to take fishing. Take a couple peeled hard-boiled eggs, put 'em in a jar and cover with a liberal amount of salt, then a whole bunch of hot sauce, and two kinds is better than one. Close the jar and overnight in the fridge, it's really fun to pull that out and crack open in the cabin heading out on a tuna trip, a real crowd pleaser. :LOL:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Pickled herring, blacccchhhh - spent a winter working in a coal mine in the Gaspe, guys I worked with ate jars of them for lunch, seemed to believe it was some sort of delicacy. I personally have never cottoned to pickled anything.

Cheers

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Pickled herring, blacccchhhh - spent a winter working in a coal mine in the Gaspe, guys I worked with ate jars of them for lunch, seemed to believe it was some sort of delicacy. I personally have never cottoned to pickled anything.

Cheers

Always amazed me how many people think that they like pickles when all evidence points to them being inedible.

I love pickled herring. A family tradition at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hard to find good fresh pickled herring these days due to the lack of fish markets. Many have closed in recent years. Used to get big tubs of it from Sandy's on Greenwood Ave.
Did I mention how much I love pickled beets and pickles? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Too bad Penrose brand pickled sausages isn't around any longer.
SF

IMG_7136.jpeg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like pickles. I haven't had any adventures in fermentation, yet. I make a "quick" pickled red onion by disolving salt and sugar in a mix of cider vinegar and water on the stove and then pouring it over sliced red onion. It's great on tacos.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

This is handy to have on hand for Taco night...

Better half makes pickled eggs, pretty good and I like them, but not my favorite way to eat eggs.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
View attachment 111214
My oldest daughter is home for a few days…she requested Yobo food tonight, so pickled and fermented stuff is on the menu

Never tried cucumber or radish Kimchi. Pickled Okra is another thing I've enjoyed eating.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes

I love pickled asparagus. The jars from Costco are decent but there are some better ones out there. We also do our own small batches of thin sliced pickled red onion. Great on burgers/dogs/sandwiches MHO

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I make pickled coho every year. Super easy and a great way to preserve the harvest. Tastes great too!

IMG_1651.jpeg
Filet, pin bone out and portion into pieces that will comfortably fit into glass or plastic container.
IMG_1658.jpeg
Coat generously with non-iodized salt. Don’t skimp on the salt! You can keep fish packed in salt like this for over a year in the fridge, I’ve done so and no issues. I let mine go for at least a few months before finishing the pickling process.
IMG_1653.jpeg
Once the fish is thoroughly preserved in salt take it out and rinse well. Then slice thinly and start the refreshing process. This involves soaking the cut pieces in fresh cold water. I usually do several changes of water and soak for around 6 hours or so. You are removing salt during this process and you should taste along the way. You should err on the side of too salty vs not salty enough as your brine will not contain salt.
IMG_1668.jpeg
Once your fish is refreshed to your liking set aside and prepare the rest of the ingredients. I generally stick with onions, fresh dill and a hot chili or two. Dried fish peppers seemed like the appropriate choice last year.
IMG_1667.jpeg
To make the brine combine two parts vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar) to one part sugar. You can add pickling spices as well. I like allspice, coriander and black peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cool completely once sugar is dissolved. Layer fish pieces with onions into glass or plastic container and cover with the cold brine. Keep under refrigeration and let sit for at least a week before eating.
IMG_1679.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I make pickled coho every year. Super easy and a great way to preserve the harvest. Tastes great too!

View attachment 111264
Filet, pin bone out and portion into pieces that will comfortably fit into glass or plastic container.
View attachment 111265
Coat generously with non-iodized salt. Don’t skimp on the salt! You can keep fish packed in salt like this for over a year in the fridge, I’ve done so and no issues. I let mine go for at least a few months before finishing the pickling process.
View attachment 111266
Once the fish is thoroughly preserved in salt take it out and rinse well. Then slice thinly and start the refreshing process. This involves soaking the cut pieces in fresh cold water. I usually do several changes of water and soak for around 6 hours or so. You are removing salt during this process and you should taste along the way. You should err on the side of too salty vs not salty enough as your brine will not contain salt.
View attachment 111268
Once your fish is refreshed to your liking set aside and prepare the rest of the ingredients. I generally stick with onions, fresh dill and a hot chili or two. Dried fish peppers seemed like the appropriate choice last year.
View attachment 111267
To make the brine combine two parts vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar) to one part sugar. You can add pickling spices as well. I like allspice, coriander and black peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cool completely once sugar is dissolved. Layer fish pieces with onions into glass or plastic container and cover with the cold brine. Keep under refrigeration and let sit for at least a week before eating.
View attachment 111269

That looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
SF