Penns Creek

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Pretty place. I agree with the other comment, go smaller, if you think you should be getting more action. Sounds like they are playing with the big food, or stunning then turning to eat? I look at that stream and would try wet flies, a sz. 14 partridge and orange soft hackle, then a small hare ear or pheasant tail nymph. Or big, go muddler or crawfish streamer. Good luck.

Reactions: Zak

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Pretty place. I agree with the other comment, go smaller, if you think you should be getting more action. Sounds like they are playing with the big food, or stunning then turning to eat? I look at that stream and would try wet flies, a sz. 14 partridge and orange soft hackle, then a small hare ear or pheasant tail nymph. Or big, go muddler or crawfish streamer. Good luck.
Yeah I'm gonna go smaller. Yesterday was using 12's and 14's. Time to downsize to 16's and maybe 18's.

I've got 3 1/2 days left here before smoking it back west to home. Going to get one more day in on the water then absolutely must pack it up.

My biggest issue is getting anything smaller than a 16 threaded onto a Tippett. With my eyesight as it is and even with the help of a set of 2x clip on magnifiers, it's hard seeing the eye of the hook sometimes. Definitely overdue an annual eye check.

( soapbox moment, then I'll shut up;
If you've ever had any type of eye issues or surgeries, make it a matter of faith to get at least an annual eye exam , and don't hold back when you talk to the doc. I've had to have BOTH retinas reattached. Trust me, no fun. After that, no matter what, I've made it a point to get checked every year, and sometimes have gone back in to have a re exam because something felt off.

All that to say, at 65, I want to be able to see even when I'm 90, and in fly fishing, you definitely need your eyes)

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Also, I'd love to have this property at the end of the road. That's the only pic I could get. The rest of the property is posted and from the looks of it from the front gate, this is a corporate, institutional, or wealthy person owned hideaway.
Don’t know if you plan on going to that area again before you head back west. If you do, I’d go another 3-4 miles beyond Weikert to the parking lot at the end of the road there. You can walk the trail as far as you want and fish upstream from there. Early in the morning or later in the evening would probably be better, and smaller flies would be my choice (#16-#20).

IMG_3335.png

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Getting hit hard at the moment. Gonna be a wet tear down in the morning.

Information about Severe Thunderstorm Warning #GoogleCrisisResponse https://g.co/kgs/pYstmm

And then there's this addition

A Tornado Watch remains in effect until 900 PM EDT for central
Pennsylvania.
For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Sorry about your poor timing, but other than something like another tornado being in the area, we can use all of that rain.

By the way, what kind of an RV do you have? It’ll be a long trek if you’re going all the way to WA.

My wife and I went from PA to MT and back many times in a variety of trailers, a 5th wheel, a truck camper and a tent camper, but we only went as far as Vancouver Island once, but did that trip from MT and back. However, after a few years of going back and forth every year, we began keeping the RV’s in MT, and just drove a truck back and forth every year from PA. Much easier!

Have a safe trip!

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Wow! I see what you meant by “getting hit hard at the moment”! Looks like the worst is either right over you, or just passed.

note on edit at 9.00pm: Penns Creek water flow is approx. 3660 cfs, compared to the all time max high of 1080 cfs for this day, in the past 93 years.

IMG_3341.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Also, I'd love to have this property at the end of the road. That's the only pic I could get. The rest of the property is posted and from the looks of it from the front gate, this is a corporate, institutional, or wealthy person owned hideaway.
Might take that one poplar down though. Looks like it is growing into the roof, let alone the foundation.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Problem is, it's not mine , yet. Also from the front of the property, at the overly locked gate, there's a lot of neglected upkeep.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Sorry about your poor timing, but other than something like another tornado being in the area, we can use all of that rain.

By the way, what kind of an RV do you have? It’ll be a long trek if you’re going all the way to WA.

My wife and I went from PA to MT and back many times in a variety of trailers, a 5th wheel, a truck camper and a tent camper, but we only went as far as Vancouver Island once, but did that trip from MT and back. However, after a few years of going back and forth every year, we began keeping the RV’s in MT, and just drove a truck back and forth every year from PA. Much easier!

Have a safe trip!
Thanks for well wishes on the trip. Growing up there, kinda sorta, i dont think i remember a summer quite that wet. But, already steaming back to WA.

We bought @Josh's old pop up last fall. For a starter kit, it's working fine. Never realized how well 27 year old waterproofed canvas can withstand torrential rain until this past month.

So, pulling the pop up from WA to PA and now back to WA. 1st day was PA, to South Bend. Today was South Bend to Blue Earth, MN. So about 2.5 states a day, or 550 miles. Thursday will be Blue Earth to Gillette, WY, etc.

I really wish 80/90 was not tolled. 🤬 I'll reserve my opinions on that scam for private conversation.

Because of tire size, 5.8x13 @ 80 psi, am limited to 65 mph. Which means right lane driving and just being the nice grandpa looking guy who gets passed by everyone including the little FIAT Topofolino 🙃 Still, Wisconsin and Northern Illinois had some real asshat truckers on the road today.

All that said, I'm liking this early version of Fords Blue Cruise on the 2015 Explorer Sport we bought as a tow vehicle. Set Tow mode, get on the road, set Cruise and the radar takes excellent care of managing your participation in the traffic flow.

On average, it keeps you 2 car lengths behind the vehicle in front of you. It slows down when that vehicle slows ( think semis going up hill ), and can even stop you by itself.

If the vehicle in front of you veers off, it adjusts to that and keeps you at the proper speed. Going downhill, if engaged, it won't allow you to pass through your set cruise speed, automatically applying brakes to bring you back inside the box. That came into play really well going through to Continental Divide and the eastern WA and Idaho mountains the first time.

The slickest part, is going uphill and you have to pass a slower vehicle. Turn on the turn signal, twist the steering wheel and it speeds up to get you around and past .

You don't need to touch a single pedal unless more brake is suddenly required, the system does it all for you.

So, it's been easy so far except for boredom and kinks from so much sitting. My biggest worry is checking the camper hub temps at each stop to make sure I'm not overheating these old bearings. (Josh did a good job servicing them when he had it)

Going East, in Tow, 19.7 mpg. Headed West now, because it seems everything for the 1st 4 1/2 states is angled uphill, so far 17.5 mpg. And that's with surprise buying of non ethanol added gas in Wisconsin. For $4.35 a gallon 92 octane.

Ok, I blather. Thanks for all your help. Several of your tips paid dividends.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Thanks for well wishes on the trip. Growing up there, kinda sorta, i dont think i remember a summer quite that wet. But, already steaming back to WA.

We bought @Josh's old pop up last fall. For a starter kit, it's working fine. Never realized how well 27 year old waterproofed canvas can withstand torrential rain until this past month.

So, pulling the pop up from WA to PA and now back to WA. 1st day was PA, to South Bend. Today was South Bend to Blue Earth, MN. So about 2.5 states a day, or 550 miles. Thursday will be Blue Earth to Gillette, WY, etc.

I really wish 80/90 was not tolled. 🤬 I'll reserve my opinions on that scam for private conversation.

Because of tire size, 5.8x13 @ 80 psi, am limited to 65 mph. Which means right lane driving and just being the nice grandpa looking guy who gets passed by everyone including the little FIAT Topofolino 🙃 Still, Wisconsin and Northern Illinois had some real asshat truckers on the road today.

All that said, I'm liking this early version of Fords Blue Cruise on the 2015 Explorer Sport we bought as a tow vehicle. Set Tow mode, get on the road, set Cruise and the radar takes excellent care of managing your participation in the traffic flow.

On average, it keeps you 2 car lengths behind the vehicle in front of you. It slows down when that vehicle slows ( think semis going up hill ), and can even stop you by itself.

If the vehicle in front of you veers off, it adjusts to that and keeps you at the proper speed. Going downhill, if engaged, it won't allow you to pass through your set cruise speed, automatically applying brakes to bring you back inside the box. That came into play really well going through to Continental Divide and the eastern WA and Idaho mountains the first time.

The slickest part, is going uphill and you have to pass a slower vehicle. Turn on the turn signal, twist the steering wheel and it speeds up to get you around and past .

You don't need to touch a single pedal unless more brake is suddenly required, the system does it all for you.

So, it's been easy so far except for boredom and kinks from so much sitting. My biggest worry is checking the camper hub temps at each stop to make sure I'm not overheating these old bearings. (Josh did a good job servicing them when he had it)

Going East, in Tow, 19.7 mpg. Headed West now, because it seems everything for the 1st 4 1/2 states is angled uphill, so far 17.5 mpg. And that's with surprise buying of non ethanol added gas in Wisconsin. For $4.35 a gallon 92 octane.

Richard —

Glad to hear that your trip is going well so far. You did dodge some of the rain we’ve been having here in PA by leaving when you did because more is in the forecast here today. (When you said you were getting pounded by rain several days ago, that guy I know who lives near Lewisburg said they got 4”.)

My wife and I made our first cross country trip to Yellowstone in 1977 (a 3 week trip) towing a Coleman tent camper. I I don’t recall ever getting wet in it, but we did have knuckle biting experiences with strong winds a time or 2 in SD and MT. Since then, I’ve probably made that trip 40 times so you kind of get used to the where you stop for gas, spend the night, etc. And, it’s normal to get better MPG going from west to east, maybe in part because there is an overall net decrease in elevation, but even more so due to the prevailing winds that more
often go that direction.

Hope you continue to have a safe and enjoyable trip home.

Last edited:

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I, for one, welcome our Self Driving Car Overlords. I am ready to submit to the borg and join the matrix of auto-drive.

BTW, I've fished once on the Yellow Breeches near Boiling Springs, PA and came to appreciate the public use of rivers in Oregon and the West.

Thanks for the post!

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
BTW, I've fished once on the Yellow Breeches near Boiling Springs, PA and came to appreciate the public use of rivers in Oregon and the West.
Not sure exactly what you mean, unless you’re referring to the relatively short section of the Yellow Breeches that goes through the Allenberry Resort at Boiling Springs that does somewhat limit the public access there.

I’ve fished rivers in Oregon and elsewhere throughout in the west, in PA and elsewhere in the east, where there are thousands of miles of public access. In the big picture there really isn’t much difference in my opinion between different regions of the country. I appreciate the public use of rivers wherever they are located.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I, for one, welcome our Self Driving Car Overlords. I am ready to submit to the borg and join the matrix of auto-drive.

Thanks for the post!
Ha! Shows how far behind you are in Trek Lore...😁

It's not full autonomous. I'd be willing to say it's a well thought out early generation Semi Autonomous system. You still need to have your eyes on the road, hands on the wheel and butt in the seat... no locking it in and then climbing into the back seat to raid the cooler for a sandwich at 75 mph 😆

I think Ford learned a lot from their partnership with Terex when they teamed up for the Army/ DARPA competition a few years ago in regards to robotic supply convoys and navigation, and this is a spin out from it.

Regardless if this is the early version of Blue Cruise, I hope the newest version kisses me good morning when I plop into the seat.

I vaguely recall hearing of Yellow Breeches decades ago. Can't say I know much beyond that.