NFR Pele’…he inspired me to play the game

Non-fishing related

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I used to watch old videos (new at the time) and learned to play the game. The article talks of his style of play (and that of his teammates). When I have so spoken of the game on other threads, it was this style that I spoke of and one that I tried to emulate in my own play.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Far and away a superior talent. I got to see him open the Kingdome with the Cosmos vs. the Sounders. His skill level was so beyond the others on the field. As a player with no ball skills, only the ability to run all day, he amazed me. May he rest in peace.

VMP

Steelhead
Pelé, Edson Arantes do Nascimento, O rei, one of the all-time greats (or the greatest depending on who you ask) of the "jogo bonito" (beautiful game, AKA as football, futbol, soccer, etc). Although I never saw him playing live (only the few grainy black and white or early color video of his on pitch exploits), my grandfather used to coach the sport and met Pelé at his peak a few times in his travels, not only his skills were above anyone that played during those years, but as far as grandpa used to say, his joy was contagious and transcended the pitch. I love the sport and never understood the comparisons between some of the few potential all-time greats, GOAT, etc. Many of what many people consider the top 3 (Messi. Maradona, Pelé), 5 or even 10 best players never got to play during the same eras, and the often-lively discussions get mudded by nationality, and other biases.
O Rei está morto. Viva o Rei! The King is dead, long live the King.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42751517

1672370661930.png

Last edited: