Pedal Kayaks

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you have one and it costs less than $1500 (used is OK) and 12' in length, I'd appreciate your input/advice/opinions.
I'd be fishing only fresh water.
Thanks.

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was about to make a similar thread, but rather about saltwater. I've been toying around about buying an aluminum skiff to take around close to shore and in calmer waters, maybe even in the Columbia, but something about a pedal kayak seems so peaceful. Sure I won't get anywhere fast but time moving spots will certainly be a lot more peaceful without listening to a 4 stroke outboard. My only concern would probably be safety

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Picked up one of these last week;

Used, but well taken care of.
Came with Garmin fish finder/transducer, 2 piece oar, 2 mini anchors, bow and stern covers, battery box and holder. Miscellaneous straps.
Topped of with a Motorguide 46 pound thrust electric trolling motor that fits through the Propel peddle opening.
The poor guy's wife was having a fit to get it out of their garage. Sold it all for $800! :)

Last edited:

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Picked up one of these last week;

Used, but well taken care of.
Came with Garmin fish finder/transducer, 2 piece oar, 2 mini anchors, bow and stern covers, battery box and holder. Miscellaneous straps.
Topped of with a Motorguide 56 pound thrust electric trolling motor that fits through the Propel peddle opening.
The poor guy's wife was having a fit to get it out of their garage. Sold it all for $800! :)
Wow, you got a fantastic deal!

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
I have a native 12 that I take all over the place, rivers, sound, lakes. It doesn't have the pedal drive and presumably pedal drive is a little faster than paddle. then again the paddling helped with upper body stuff I probably otherwise wouldn't have. It opened up a ton of places to explore. the seat is really comfortable, it's an easy cartop, you can carry a ton of crap, and you can stand in that thing so long as your anchor trolley is set. I'd caution you if you are in big open water anything where 9-10 mph winds can work over a long stretch of water, I don't go. If it is set to blow, figure a safe place to go, an inshore route, and make sure you know current and predicted wind and tide directions.

Fish will often run under the boat.....

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I was about to make a similar thread, but rather about saltwater. I've been toying around about buying an aluminum skiff to take around close to shore and in calmer waters, maybe even in the Columbia, but something about a pedal kayak seems so peaceful. Sure I won't get anywhere fast but time moving spots will certainly be a lot more peaceful without listening to a 4 stroke outboard. My only concern would probably be safety

what about an electric trolling motor? I bet still faster than pedal kayak?

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
great boat Mark! You would never have got that boat if the guy was single....100% guarantee.
If that dude's wife set him up with "it's me or the damn Kayak, one of us is leaving!" you should keep his number, probably some more ultimatums coming where material possessions are shed, cheap. At least until the legal team gets involved.

See if you can talk him into picking up a Boston Whaler, and then six months later, when his wife is done with that dalliance, well there's that spanking new Whaler looking for a rapid home, a cheap home, your home. Given that guy knows you suggested he get it in the first place, he's got you on speed dial and all. He sounds like the perfect "transactional" friend!

Chadk

Life of the Party
what about an electric trolling motor? I bet still faster than pedal kayak?
The speed of the kayak is primarily based on the design. I had a feelfree kayak with custom electric motor and it was a barge.

My old town 120 PDL is slow, but ran circles around that thing.

My wilderness tarpon 120 is speedy, but no stability and not comfortable for more than a few hours.

The pedal drive on the Old Town was a game changer though. Hands free fishing, instant reverse, fast enough, stable enough to stand and fish, handles big water, small ponds, and moderate rivers.