NFR Peanut Butter Recall - Damn I like PB

Non-fishing related

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Just got a Xfinity email from Costco. It said that the peanut butter I purchased was possibly tainted with salmonella.
Thought it was a scam, till I checked and verified at FDA.
Well crap, I have 3 jars (already ate the 1st jar) on the list. Nobody sick yet.

Check yours

May 22, 2022​
Our records indicate you could have purchased some of the affected product to find out if your product is included. Visit Jess.com forward slash recall or call 800-828-9980 Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern. Do not eat affected-selected(?) products please throw it away and to go to Costco for a full refund. We are sorry for any inconvenience this recall may have caused. If you would like to hear this message again please press the star key. This is a Costco food safety alert. The JM Smucker Company and the FDA have issued a recall on just peanut butter products. Due to potential Salmonella contamination. Only specific locks identified by a code on the label are being recalled. Our records indicate you could have purchased some of the affected product to find out if your product is included. Visit Jess.com forward slash recall or call 800-828-9980 Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern. Do not eat affected products please throw it away and go to Costco for a full refund. We are sorry for any inconvenience this recall may have caused. If you would like to hear this message again please press the star key.​

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I think that PB is mfg by Mother Smuckers.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh-Oh! Last week I had some Jif peanut butter for the first time in my life. It lacked the essence of peanuts and I thought it tasted phony. Plus it had no oil on top so it contained emulsifiers and also contained sugar. So it is a peanut product rather than peanut butter.

Real peanut butter is made of peanuts. A trace of salt may be added to some brands to enhance flavor but it can be bought without. I'll stick with Adams-superior flavor with no surprise ingredients.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Jm Smuckers owns Adams PB. So they have that going for them. I also think it is made in Tacoma.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Good timing for me. Until about two months ago I used to eat Costco Jif right out of the jar with a tablespoon (because you just couldn't get enough on a teaspoon). Started cleaning up my diet and quit cold turkey. I figured a good amount of that stuff was finding its way into my arteries and gut. I switched to plain pecans instead.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I'll eat a pb and jam sandwich about once a week. Our jif is about a few months old. Made before this last batch.

Shad

Life of the Party
When salmonella find their way into peanut butter, somebody's doing some pretty sloppy processing. I mean, what product that Smuckers makes even uses animal products? Maybe a jelly flavoring or something? Maybe the nuts get processed in a machine used to grind animal products? Guess they find their way into fresh produce sometimes, too. Weird, and frankly a bit unnerving....

krusty

Forum Supporter
When salmonella find their way into peanut butter, somebody's doing some pretty sloppy processing. I mean, what product that Smuckers makes even uses animal products? Maybe a jelly flavoring or something? Maybe the nuts get processed in a machine used to grind animal products? Guess they find their way into fresh produce sometimes, too. Weird, and frankly a bit unnerving....
Bird shit is the active ingredient in so many fine foods....

One of my first jobs was working at a prominent potato chip mfg plant. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) that arrived from the farmer went directly into the processing machines. Those weren't flavoring spices...those were cooked sow bugs, earwigs, dirt, and bird shit...broiled in rancid vegetable fat.

Bet you can't eat just one!

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I saw that and thanks for putting this up. Peanut butter is a major food group in this house. I just had some with apples and raisins when I came in from the lake. The kids and I eat it straight from the jar after school with snacks and juice or milk as well.

Derek Young

Steelhead
Had two unopened jars in the recall range, and one that I finished last week. Didn't get sick but my dog did, she gets PB as a treat with apples.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Had two unopened jars in the recall range, and one that I finished last week. Didn't get sick but my dog did, she gets PB as a treat with apples.
Hope your pup is ok.

You probably developed an immunity from all those birdshit infused icecicles you ate as a kid. 😁

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Thanks for the heads up, I informed the wife and sure enough she had an email and our freshly opened 2 pack was in the recall batch.

No sickness on our end, but weve had the flu, an unknown virus and then covid in the last 7 weeks in our house. Will not be risking this lol

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Just make your own damn peanut butter. It's really not that hard.

Throw some peanuts in a food processor/blender with some oil. Sweeten or salt to taste. Run that processor until it is all buttery. Done.

Last edited:

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
We got the notice from Costco last evening. I’d already eaten about 2/3 of a 48 oz jar, and have a second unopened jar of Jif extra crunchy PB, that I had bought from Costco that were on the recall list.

I guess I’ll have to stop at Costco tomorrow and refill my PB supply before I leave on an overnight fishing trip. PB&J is one of my fishing trip staples - don’t want to waste more time eating than necessary when there’s rising fish (or when I think they might be).

krusty

Forum Supporter
We got the notice from Costco last evening. I’d already eaten about 2/3 of a 48 oz jar, and have a second unopened jar of Jif extra crunchy PB, that I had bought from Costco that were on the recall list.

I guess I’ll have to stop at Costco tomorrow and refill my PB supply before I leave on an overnight fishing trip. PB&J is one of my fishing trip staples - don’t want to waste more time eating than necessary when there’s rising fish (or when I think they might be).
Worst case you'll be chummin' on your fishin' trip!

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Oh-Oh! Last week I had some Jif peanut butter for the first time in my life. It lacked the essence of peanuts and I thought it tasted phony. Plus it had no oil on top so it contained emulsifiers and also contained sugar. So it is a peanut product rather than peanut butter.

Real peanut butter is made of peanuts. A trace of salt may be added to some brands to enhance flavor but it can be bought without. I'll stick with Adams-superior flavor with no surprise ingredients.
First you didn't like my Jif. Then it was my apple pie. High maintenance!

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
All natural here

4qxtA29l_o.png

thumb_400_adam-s-creamy-peanut-butter-16-oz.jpg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
How annoying. We also have one of the crunchy jars. This feels like a marketing attempt to get me to make an extra trip to Costco. I can never get out of that place for under $200.

VERY CLEVER COSTCO.