NFR PayPal question.

Non-fishing related

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
As a information technology dwarf (the only thing small about me) I'm hoping for some guidance here.
My PayPal is dormant as of a year or two ago when they started requiring a link to a bank account.
I'm hesitant to link my bank account/ debit card to PayPal with all the data breaches that happen in our modern day and age.
I've a little money in my account I could spend or transfer to bank.
Does anyone else struggle with this?
I understand people being hesitant giving too much information.
What do folks do to keep safe and use PayPal if I may ask?
I used to use it on the other forum to buy stuff and pay to support the site but when the bank requirement came my PayPal quit working. It was linked to my credit card.
I want to support the site here and sell some stuff but need to figure this out to do so.
Thanks,
Fred

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
You sure you need a bank account? I have two accounts: one with a bank account link, one without. Have never been required to connect a bank account for anything but transferring money in or out.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Fred,
I never linked my bank account, regardless of how many times they asked me to or suggested I should.
SF

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I use my credit card through the PayPal site and had no problem. You don't need to belong to PayPal if you go the credit card route.

Capture.JPG

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have several bank accounts linked to my PayPal account and have for years with no problems.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
As a information technology dwarf (the only thing small about me) I'm hoping for some guidance here.
My PayPal is dormant as of a year or two ago when they started requiring a link to a bank account.
I'm hesitant to link my bank account/ debit card to PayPal with all the data breaches that happen in our modern day and age.
I've a little money in my account I could spend or transfer to bank.
Does anyone else struggle with this?
I understand people being hesitant giving too much information.
What do folks do to keep safe and use PayPal if I may ask?
I used to use it on the other forum to buy stuff and pay to support the site but when the bank requirement came my PayPal quit working. It was linked to my credit card.
I want to support the site here and sell some stuff but need to figure this out to do so.
Thanks,
Fred
Oh I'm pretty sure that requirement to link a bank account has been gone for a while.

I never would do it either, I just put a credit card # on there when I set mine up many years ago. At first they had some cumulative $$$ limit that limited how much you could spend using the CC, each time warning that you were XYZ dollars away from your limit but that you could bypass that limit by linking a bank account. I eventually reached whatever the cumulative $$$ cap was and for that reason I stopped using PayPal for a long time.

Then a few years later I wanted to use it for something and tried again, hoping maybe the limit had been raised. I was able to keep using my account with the same CC as before. There were no more warnings about a cumulative spending cap and no more prompts to link a bank account.

Since then I've spent way to much money buying things online with Paypal. :)

-andy

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I use my credit card through the PayPal site and had no problem. You don't need to belong to PayPal if you go the credit card route.

View attachment 3961
I had it set up with a credit card and was a paying supporter on WFF site.
Along about May last year PayPal stopped paying the monthly payment to WFF. For what reason I don't know.
My acct is now locked for some reason.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Along about May last year PayPal stopped paying the monthly payment to WFF. For what reason I don't know.
Hmm, super weird. Either way, you shouldn't need an account to be a supporter.

Once our business bank account is operational (hopefully today), I will open it up to other card processors.

Lorney

Smolt
I have never linked a bank account to my PayPal. It has only been credit card since the beginning years ago and I have no problem with my account. It still works. Maybe try contacting PayPal.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Make sure your credit card info is up to date with PayPal. Things such as the expiration date or the 3 digit security code on the back of the card might be the reason your account is locked. You can look at your profile info on PayPal to make sure everything is up to date, and if all else fails call PayPal’s customer service and ask them what’s up.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Hmm, super weird. Either way, you shouldn't need an account to be a supporter.

Once our business bank account is operational (hopefully today), I will open it up

Make sure your credit card info is up to date with PayPal. Things such as the expiration date or the 3 digit security code on the back of the card might be the reason your account is locked. You can look at your profile info on PayPal to make sure everything is up to date, and if all else fails call PayPal’s customer service and ask them what’s up.
Thanks, I'm going to call them.

honer

Just Hatched
Just had a conflict w/PP and they required me to link my bank account just to access my account activity. I refused to comply with this customer service associate and got no options according to that person. I cancelled my PP account permanently.
This company seems to think that it doesn't have to provide adequate customer service, I personally will not support this company and would recommend that those of use that buy & sell on this, and other forums find a way to commence commerce without them!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Just had a conflict w/PP and they required me to link my bank account just to access my account activity. I refused to comply with this customer service associate and got no options according to that person. I cancelled my PP account permanently.
This company seems to think that it doesn't have to provide adequate customer service, I personally will not support this company and would recommend that those of use that buy & sell on this, and other forums find a way to commence commerce without them!
I've been using Paypal since...I don't know...the beginning. After so many dollars were linked to a CC they wanted to link to a verified checking account. Not a problem. I linked it and opened another checking account for my other needs. For me, the convenience was absolutely worth it. And for the record I have not had a single problem, ever.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
While I've been using PayPal without issue since they started, we do have a second credit card processor. We will get it hooked back up. We were just having an issue with people getting their forum supporter badge when using the other processor so temporarily disabled it while we figure it out.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ok, the non-paypal credit card processor has been restored.

Again - PayPal in this case is only used as a credit card processor, so you don't need an account. It may ask you to sign in, but you don't need to login to make a payment. Or you can use the other credit card option.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Ok, the non-paypal credit card processor has been restored.

Again - PayPal in this case is only used as a credit card processor, so you don't need an account. It may ask you to sign in, but you don't need to login to make a payment. Or you can use the other credit card option.

I know we're not suppose to bring up the other site, but I'm having an issue cancelling that, ie, I don't have a PP account, they process my credit card as @Evan B just laid out - they continue to do so even though I have downgraded at WFF. I contacted WFF, they say they cannot do anything, have to go through PP, I contacted PP, they say they cannot do anything, I need to contact the vendor, tried the Chris@WashingtonFlyFishing.com - comes bouncing back as undeliverable - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I know we're not suppose to bring up the other site, but I'm having an issue cancelling that, ie, I don't have a PP account, they process my credit card as @Evan B just laid out - they continue to do so even though I have downgraded at WFF. I contacted WFF, they say they cannot do anything, have to go through PP, I contacted PP, they say they cannot do anything, I need to contact the vendor, tried the Chris@WashingtonFlyFishing.com - comes bouncing back as undeliverable - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

cheers
oof, that is super weird and i'm sorry you're dealing with that. if Verticalscope is denying you, they're BSing you. I doubt Chris' email will work though. Have you tried the admin there? They 100% have the power to cancel it for you. If they say otherwise, they're being intentionally difficult.

I had no problems canceling my contributions there. Try clicking on your account link at the top of the screen, click "account upgrades" and see if you can access a way to cancel from there. THat's how I did mine if I remember right.