Pass Lake

steeli

Just Hatched
Has anyone fished or been by the lake lately and knows if it's open?
Awhile back it was 'Red' listed for toxic algae and closed at the launch.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I think they need to test it somewhere other than the boat launch.
I thought the same thing. I don’t know how these toxic algae are distributed in the water column but the prevailing wind does blow everything toward the launch.
But then again it makes sense since that’s the point of entry into the lake :)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
It's open.

Maybe if the weather is really shitty this weekend which it is forecast to be, we should row someone’s drift boat around the lake looking for bows and browns. Just a thought……. 😂
SF

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Maybe if the weather is really shitty this weekend which it is forecast to be, we should row someone’s drift boat around the lake looking for bows and browns. Just a thought……. 😂
SF
You've seen me cast a fly, are you sure you want to sit behind me while I flail away?🤣🤣

steeli

Just Hatched
I fished Pass a few weeks last week and did pretty well. Had to keep away from the otters...
Has anyone fished or driven by it lately and know if it's ice free?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
While I can’t speak for the wind, it looks like Pass won’t be getting much of the rain coming through during the rest of the week. Olympic range rain shadow.

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Has anyone fished or driven by it lately and know if it's ice free?

Well, as of 11:30 a.m. on Saturday 1/20, Pass Lake was almost totally iced-over:

20240120_101628 s.jpg

There appeared to be a little open water near the ranger's cabin, and a little around the edges, as seen in this photo. The ice must be fairly thick to hold those logs that people have thrown on the ice. Campbell Lake was also almost totally iced-over, and Cranberry Lake was about 75% iced-over. Pretty amazing! Don't see the west-side lakes frozen over like this very often.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Well, as of 11:30 a.m. on Saturday 1/20, Pass Lake was almost totally iced-over:

View attachment 100437

There appeared to be a little open water near the ranger's cabin, and a little around the edges, as seen in this photo. The ice must be fairly thick to hold those logs that people have thrown on the ice. Campbell Lake was also almost totally iced-over, and Cranberry Lake was about 75% iced-over. Pretty amazing! Don't see the west-side lakes frozen over like this very often.
Howd it fish by the ranger's cabin, Rex? 😉

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
True, west side lakes don't see the freeze like that often. Yesterday I drove by some of the lakes near Smokey Point and most still had good amounts of ice but not all. View attachment 100456

Actually, I ended up there and fished for a few hours. But, the fishing was tough and I only had one small fish on for a short while. A spin caster landed a trout, maybe a 13 incher, but I think he was cheating, using worms (this is a selective reg fishery). The water temperature was cold at 42 degrees.