Panfish Rod Suggestion

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I've received a discount voucher and decided to buy a fly rod dedicated to panfish/ small trout. My choices are a 7'6"-4# Glass, a 8'-3# med. carbon, or an 8'6"-4# med. carbon. I'll be fishing out of a pram on small lakes. What do you suggest and why.?

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Wetswinger,

Id go with the Glass Rod. A 4 weight is strong enough to throw some small poppers but is soft enough to enjoy each smaller sized fish caught. Ideally, Ii you could get an 8 foot glass rod, in a 4# or a 3#, Id do that. You'd get a little exta distance with that added length.

What a fun conundrum to have.

Bob

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Thanks. I'm a glass fan so that does sound wise. I'm a little curious about a slower carbon rod because so many people rave about the Redington Classic Trout for small fish.. All these rod choices are G. Loomis tapers. The carbon ones are GLX and the glass Iconoglass..

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ll see that bamboo switch and raise it to a shorty bamboo rod! Panfish sure fight hard for their size….but I figure they’re trying to get away from being fish n chips! I don’t keep trout but I’ve invited several spiny rays over to our house for dinner! Some tasty guests…..

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think you're on the right track with glass or medium as I tend to loose more hooked panfish on a faster rod. I'd lean to the #4 just in case a bass or larger trout shows up.
I’d go with a 4 wt to give a little more edge when that surprise bass hits your fly.
I was just typing that too.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I think you're on the right track with glass or medium as I tend to loose more hooked panfish on a faster rod. I'd lean to the #4 just in case a bass or larger trout shows up.

I was just typing that too.
Certainly a nice surprise to have, maybe not as epic as fishing for trout when a big steelhead grabs you fly.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
OK, while I wouldn't buy a panfish specific rod, I do have a Redington CT, 8 1/2' 3 wt. I had it with me one day at Munn when the crappie were on the snap. Only place I've ever caught crappie, but I don't fish for spiny rays on purpose. Except for that day, cuz I was hoping to see how big those crappie got. Not very.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Munn was such a better lake before it turned into C&R! I fished it a lot…..anybody else remember the good old days here?

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Really, any 3 or 4 weight rod will do fine for panfish. Heck, you could get a lot done with a 5wt even. Bluegill pull hard if they are even a slightly decent size. Crappie can get plenty big in the right spots.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably say a 4wt of some sort unless I knew my panfish were always going to be on the small side.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So I just ordered a 7ft 6in, 3#. I shied away from the 8ft because I have a glass 8ft 5# and always wanted a small, lightweight rod. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions....
You'll have a ton of fun with that. Bluegill on a 3wt throwing a small popper is awesome. Now learn to tie the triangle bug. Outstanding popper that keeps aggressive gills from taking the hook too deep.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I'll have to try some surface techniques. I've been mainly using soft hackles with a type 3 sink line, tho I did order a Wulff Intermediate line for this rod. Micro leeches work also. I don't have problems with Bluegill swallowing my hook but those damn Perch are trouble..

Reactions: Zak