Paging @clarkman

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Hell Yeah!!! That looks really damn fun!

I may have to UP-SIZE some of my regular musky flies!

I've actually been thinking about slightly larger patterns anyway (played around with them in the past, but I never took the time to get the balance between size/castability/movement down).

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I've actually been thinking about slightly larger patterns anyway (played around with them in the past, but I never took the time to get the balance between size/castability/movement down).

WTF?! BIGGER than what you tie now?! Entire herds of deer tails and KFC truck loads of chickens have passed through your vise. And, if I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember you actually giving me some shit about over-sized tuna flies. ;)

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

upsize?...so you would have to fold it in half to get it into a gallon zip lock bag upsize?...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Bill, depends on how much you trust the lifting power on your broomstick.

I do know this though, I hate casting even my smaller 8-9" musky flies all day on super fast action rods all day because it'll just tear me up way more than my moderate graphite and slower glass over the course of a day.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
upsize?...so you would have to fold it in half to get it into a gallon zip lock bag upsize?...
uh, yeah.

I just finished that back portion of something bigger. I've gotta do this one in stages.... :LOL:

I don't reverse tie bucktail a ton, but I have a feeling that it's gonna be called for on this one just to get the proportions right.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
uh, yeah.

I just finished that back portion of something bigger. I've gotta do this one in stages.... :LOL:

I don't reverse tie bucktail a ton, but I have a feeling that it's gonna be called for on this one just to get the proportions right.

I'd be interested to know what you're doing for the basic innards on anything larger than your normal stuff. One thing I'd suggest is NOT using a stiff wire harness like I used on the Kraken squid fly. How tuna can whack that thing at 30mph and not stick with dual 6/0 Siwash hooks is beyond me.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'd be interested to know what you're doing for the basic innards on anything larger than your normal stuff. One thing I'd suggest is NOT using a stiff wire harness like I used on the Kraken squid fly. How tuna can whack that thing at 30mph and not stick with dual 6/0 Siwash hooks is beyond me.
For this one, with 2 hooks, I'm using a shank in between the hooks, but attached to the front hook via another shank tied onto the front hook. These particular shanks extend further up than most that you see so you can secure them far better. I'll post a pic later.

Wire just wears out too easily.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
My musky box is a suitcase.
seriously. At this point, I could easily take 2 big ass boat boxes with me. All that said, I've lately just been taking around 6 or 7 flies which comprise of flies I know how they swim and are productive along with a couple of newer ones that have minor tweaks I just want to see.

flybill

Life of the Party
Bill, depends on how much you trust the lifting power on your broomstick.

I do know this though, I hate casting even my smaller 8-9" musky flies all day on super fast action rods all day because it'll just tear me up way more than my moderate graphite and slower glass over the course of a day.
I have an Albright 10wt, and a couple of warmwater lines for it, but I only paid like $100 for it, so if it broke it's really no biggie. It's a decent fast action rod, just found it on a super discount years ago. I would be more concerned with the reel blowing up.. I would have to buy an appropriate line to turn over those big assed flies! Sounds like fun though. I've used it for Humpies a few times, but bought it because it was a deal and I wanted a 10wt for bluewater fishing! I've cast some big assed flies for steelhead on the Queets and a few other OP rivers..

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have an Albright 10wt, and a couple of warmwater lines for it, but I only paid like $100 for it, so if it broke it's really no biggie. It's a decent fast action rod, just found it on a super discount years ago. I would be more concerned with the reel blowing up.. I would have to buy an appropriate line to turn over those big assed flies! Sounds like fun though. I've used it for Humpies a few times, but bought it because it was a deal and I wanted a 10wt for bluewater fishing! I've cast some big assed flies for steelhead on the Queets and a few other OP rivers..
nice....one of my musky rods I use occasionally is a super cheap 10wt Maxcatch Predator. It works surprisingly well. But it's definitely not what I'd consider "fast"....then again, putting a 400gr shooting head on any 10wt will probably slow it down a bit.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

You’re going to have to really step it up. I am thinking a musky imitation to catch a gar. I smell the next fly tying contest!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You’re going to have to really step it up. I am thinking a musky imitation to catch a gar. I smell the next fly tying contest!
After tying up that 12" fly above all morning, I dunno if I want to tie another one! 😆. It was basically as time consuming as 3 full musky singles.