Non-Fly Pacific City - Good idea or bad idea?

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have an urge to get out and catch some rockfish - haven't fished for them since I was a kid in Puget Sound. I've seen Youtube videos of folks launching kayaks at Pacific City and going a little ways out with good success.

But I don't have a kayak. I do have an Outback Stealth Pro pontoon (and a regular framed pontoon, hmmm). It seems like I could fairly easily launch a pontoon at Pacific City and fish for rockfish. I'm probably missing something obvious on why this is a bad idea. Would current be an issue? Dangling my legs with fins be a shark magnet? Something else?

Anyone tried to do this? Or have any input? Thanks!

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have an urge to get out and catch some rockfish - haven't fished for them since I was a kid in Puget Sound. I've seen Youtube videos of folks launching kayaks at Pacific City and going a little ways out with good success.

But I don't have a kayak. I do have an Outback Stealth Pro pontoon (and a regular framed pontoon, hmmm). It seems like I could fairly easily launch a pontoon at Pacific City and fish for rockfish. I'm probably missing something obvious on why this is a bad idea. Would current be an issue? Dangling my legs with fins be a shark magnet? Something else?

Anyone tried to do this? Or have any input? Thanks!
It sounds fun but also maybe dangerous and potentially very embarrassing. I’d go to one of the bays north of Pacific City and cast 1/2 oz jigs off the jetty. White swimbait at high slack are effective.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
all about the swell, and it is the flattest summer in many years, in this webcame literally knee high...when this flat, you could easily launch in the cove and row out right alongside the point, fishing your way to the tip and back.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Having been there, done that, I wouldn't try to do a pontoon set up. Once you pass the big dune on the right, wind can kick your butt.

Plus, you'll be a hazard to the Pacific Dory Fleet as they come in.

Sending PM

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
PC was my go to for for 15 years, spent hundreds of days surfing and fishing there 12 monthes a year, and it's always about the conditions. Yesterday it was so flat it looked like a lake, could have paddled a pink inflatable swan out there. And there is currently a deep channel that runs from the beach alongside the 'wall' all the way to the point, which the kayaks are currently using.
As to being a hazard to the dory's, their used to spotting surfers paddling on their bellies on their way in, they will easily spot someone in a pontoon..the same fleet, btw, that originally used to row their boats out through the surf line and back.

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
From my limited dory experience there and just fishing in general area. Nope! That would be a strong negative. MHO

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Even on a calm, flat day, I still wouldn't. It's still the ocean and it has currents whether you can see them or not. Kayaks have much better mobility over moving water while a pontoon is basically going to go where the water takes it, and all you can do is point it one way or another.