Oregon Fishing Club?

Bryan

Just Hatched
My wife and I are considering joining the Oregon Fishing Club. Almost did it a number of years ago, but didn't.

I'd appreciate any insights from current or recently-current members.

PMs welcome.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bryan

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I’ve known several people who have enjoyed it, especially the private lakes/ponds with their pontoons/float tubes…some pretty big fish to be had.

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My wife and I are considering joining the Oregon Fishing Club. Almost did it a number of years ago, but didn't.

I'd appreciate any insights from current or recently-current members.

PMs welcome.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bryan

I've been a member for a while now. My favorite way to fish is kicking around a lake in a float tube. The Portland area has pretty limited options with decent trout close for this type of fishing. So OFC fills the gap for me. They have 4-5 nice little lakes reasonably close to Portland. It's especially nice Nov. to March when I need to get the wiggles out. They are smaller, generally shallow lakes, so trout fishing is generally done by July and doesn't get worthwhile again until Oct.

They also have a couple of lakes with great camping. Very quiet and peaceful.

Members are generally friendly and helpful. It's not slam dunk fishing. When conditions are right, it can be great, other times more challenging. These fish see a lot of flies.

I haven't spent time on the river locations. Not enough free time yet.

The cost benefit works for me. I probably average going to an OFC lake once a week over the year (I get off work early on Wednesday so like to go to a place 30 minutes from my house for the afternoon). But it will be different for everyone. Be sure you will have the time to actually us it if you join.

If you're interested, I would be happy to take you as a guest when it gets around Oct so you can check it out.

Bryan

Just Hatched
dbaken,

Thank you for your reply and your offer to take me as a guest. I will follow-up with a PM.

Cheers,

Bryan

EBT

Smolt
Bryan,

I too am in the club. Joined when I moved to Oregon three years ago, simply because the Salem area where I live is almost devoid of trout fishing opportunities. I echo dbaken's sentiments about cost benefit (I fish about as often as he does). Regarding cost benefit, there are also opportunities to volunteer on fisheries/property improvement projects in exchange for the elimination of club dues for a month. And I'll add that some of the lakes provide some excellent dry fly activity.

Some lakes include bass, including at least one with some very large bass, if that's of interest to you. Some of the lakes are in beautiful, quiet spots, others not so much. The lakes are mostly low-elevation, so little to no opportunity for trout fishing in the summer. There's also a number of rivers where club members have property access to fish for whatever the river has to offer.

One final thought - the owner/management team are all a pleasure to talk to, and very helpful with suggestions.

I'll double up on dbaken's sentiments and welcome you to PM me if the Salem area is of interest to you for a day trip sometime.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm gonna have to check it out.
Sense moving here to the Roseburg area I miss the winter trout fishing at RF in WA.
I'm not much into the float tube, but if I can put my row boat in the lake that would be fine with me.
Also if I can access some of the N. Umpqua river through private property that would be a big plus

Bryan

Just Hatched
Bryan,

I too am in the club. Joined when I moved to Oregon three years ago, simply because the Salem area where I live is almost devoid of trout fishing opportunities. I echo dbaken's sentiments about cost benefit (I fish about as often as he does). Regarding cost benefit, there are also opportunities to volunteer on fisheries/property improvement projects in exchange for the elimination of club dues for a month. And I'll add that some of the lakes provide some excellent dry fly activity.

Some lakes include bass, including at least one with some very large bass, if that's of interest to you. Some of the lakes are in beautiful, quiet spots, others not so much. The lakes are mostly low-elevation, so little to no opportunity for trout fishing in the summer. There's also a number of rivers where club members have property access to fish for whatever the river has to offer.

One final thought - the owner/management team are all a pleasure to talk to, and very helpful with suggestions.

I'll double up on dbaken's sentiments and welcome you to PM me if the Salem area is of interest to you for a day trip sometime.

EBT,

Thank you for your reply and offer. I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Bryan

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Hi Bryan,
We gotta get out again, it's been way too long. The hex are going to start up on Hood in the next weeks.

Anyway, the Clackamas Fly Fishers frequently visit OFC sites on their fish alongs. You might join and tag along on some of the trips. Dave K from CFF would probably also be a good source of info, you'll remember him as Killer Dave.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyway, the Clackamas Fly Fishers frequently visit OFC sites on their fish alongs. You might join and tag along on some of the trips. Dave K from CFF would probably also be a good source of info, you'll remember him as Killer Dave.

This is correct! We did two trips to OFC lakes this spring: Rainer and Schmedke. I only made the latter. It was an enjoyable time, but to join its a bit out of my league.

Bryan

Just Hatched
Hi Bryan,
We gotta get out again, it's been way too long. The hex are going to start up on Hood in the next weeks.

Phil,

Thanks. PM sent.

Cheers,

Bryan