OPST Commando Shooting Head

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
Anyone using these shooting heads on your 5 wt., or whatever rod really? Just curious if you've found situations where it helped greatly. I can see it wading on some wider rivers that would be excellent, or in a Watermaster style raft. False casting in a raft on a lake can get old fast for me.

Any feedback from someone using them effectively?

OR do you say, suck it up sissy and learn to double haul.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I've been experimenting with skagit heads in close quarters bassin situations. Several ponds I fish from the bank are cattail lined and tree ringed and I'm looking to eliminate some backcast. It'll be interesting as the water warms up, but test runs have it slinging a popper a mile without too nuts of a splash and just enough room for the D loop behind me. The retrieve using lazar line kinda sucks, and stripping your head into the guides isnt super fun. But I do believe its gonna get me into some fish that I couldnt consistently reach previously.

I'm using a 200g maxcatch head because they are cheap enough to experiment with. I think 200 is a little heavy for my Echo Carbon XL 5, might trim it back a few grains. Or just pick up their 175 cuz they're 15$.

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I was mostly thinking for Bass, but should be good for streamers.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I mostly use them just for swinging flies (smaller streamers) on 6-8wt SH rods. I know I know, Ed Ward says you can use them for everything under the sun, but quite frankly there are better tools for most jobs (outside of mentioned above with lots of brush at your back).

All of that said, you can make them do a lot of things (even dries if you throw on a long floating tip then a long leader).

They definitely have a place in my quiver, but they really don't get used all that often simply because I'm not often in situations where they're the best tool for the job & I don't really enjoy simply swinging flies as much as many folks do.

oh, if you're thinking of water-loading with these for lake fishing, they do create a bit of disturbance which may be a hindrance.

Last edited:

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
Personally, I mostly use them just for swinging flies (smaller streamers) on 6-8wt SH rods. I know I know, Ed Ward says you can use them for everything under the sun, but quite frankly there are better tools for most jobs (outside of mentioned above with lots of brush at your back).

All of that said, you can make them do a lot of things (even dries if you throw on a long floating tip then a long leader).

They definitely have a place in my quiver, but they really don't get used all that often simply because I'm not often in situations where they're the best tool for the job & I don't really enjoy simply swinging flies as much as many folks do.

oh, if you're thinking of water-loading with these for lake fishing, they do create a bit of disturbance which may be a hindrance.
Thanks that's good feedback.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I use one for my 3 wt and it has been an absolute game changer for backpacking. I also like it for fishing lakes because with the heavy tip I can fish some relatively heavy streamers deep with a 3 wt which is an absolute blast. I definitely recommend it!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Personally, I mostly use them just for swinging flies (smaller streamers) on 6-8wt SH rods.
This is pretty much what I use them for as well. 6 & 8 wt river swinging when I don't need or want to use a two handed rod. I think I'd find the standard OPST head annoying to use for bassin because stripping it back into the guides is pretty rough. That said, OPST makes a "commando smooth" head that is integrated with a running line like a traditional fly line. So perhaps that's a better answer for bass flies?

I've never done it, but I was interested a few years back when I saw this video of using a 3wt and an OPST head for sea runs in the salt:

Zak

Legend
This is pretty much what I use them for as well. 6 & 8 wt river swinging when I don't need or want to use a two handed rod. I think I'd find the standard OPST head annoying to use for bassin because stripping it back into the guides is pretty rough. That said, OPST makes a "commando smooth" head that is integrated with a running line like a traditional fly line. So perhaps that's a better answer for bass flies?

I've never done it, but I was interested a few years back when I saw this video of using a 3wt and an OPST head for sea runs in the salt:

I picked up a 150gr OPST head for my 10' 3wt single hand rod for just this purpose. I haven't tried it yet but plan to this summer.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
The scientific anglers spey lite with the integrated head and running line is a really well thought out and versatile little setup. I find it a little less powerful then a commando head but I like it a lot better in trout sizes for what I use it for. I have a 180gr head I use on 4-5-6 wt single hand rods and with a floating poly can be surprisingly gentle. I wouldn’t choose it for strictly dry fly fishing, but it can be done in some scenarios. It’s textured right before the junction with the head so you can feel it while you strip it in, and either pick it up to cast or keep stripping. Very smooth through the guides even on light rods. I’ve fished mine with poly leaders up to t8 and anything from weighted sculpins to mice and poppers. It’s legit.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party

I've been really tempted to pull the trigger there but 100$ for a pond bass line is above my pay grade. The advantages are clear though and would be a superior experience.

The main drawback I'm seeing with the heads aside from the stripping is accuracy. When bassin I'm usually hitting small pockets in weed beds and while the head goes a mile it's not landing on a dinner plate. At least not intentionally.

Its gonna get run here soon but my gut says it's more situational than general purpose.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
That's why they make an integrated version.
I have a Commando Smooth…while the connection between the head and running line is seamless going thru the guides, stripping in the running line in winter is a bit more work…

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
They sure do for 100$!
True. But don't forget that the Commando head on its own is $55 and the lazar line is $32. So it's not like there's a ton more cost in an integrated line.

Now, you're more likely to be able to find a used head than a full line I suspect and there are cheaper running lines than lazar. But still, the price difference isn't quite as big as the $100 price tag in the integrated line probably feels. And I fully admit that's a pretty penny for a line that you aren't sure will work for your planned use.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
True. But don't forget that the Commando head on its own is $55 and the lazar line is $32. So it's not like there's a ton more cost in an integrated line.

Now, you're more likely to be able to find a used head than a full line I suspect and there are cheaper running lines than lazar. But still, the price difference isn't quite as big as the $100 price tag in the integrated line probably feels. And I fully admit that's a pretty penny for a line that you aren't sure will work for your planned use.
Hey buddy that's all real logical but I'm not here for logic, it's about what I feel! And I feel like the wife will see the triple digit line and have some feelings too. If I go that route will you explain the logic to her? 🤣🤣

I've also used an old 3wt line for running line. The knots a little shittier but the stripping is better

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ran a 375 gr Commando head with OPST running line on a 7 wt switch rod I used for coastal steelhead...rocket launcher...would make a killer Pyramid Lake set-up

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
I use one for my 3 wt and it has been an absolute game changer for backpacking. I also like it for fishing lakes because with the heavy tip I can fish some relatively heavy streamers deep with a 3 wt which is an absolute blast. I definitely recommend it!
Nice, I need to give that some thought next time I get to backpack!