Opener!!! 8 Days

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So, I know my wife loves me and supports my addiction! She knows how important the March opener is for me.

(It's getting close enough I am struggling to sleep, with excitement!! And cleaning and packing gear)

She had been pre-cooking meals and goodies to get me started!

IMG_20220221_160422.jpg
IMG_20220221_123901293.jpg
IMG_20220221_160419.jpg
IMG_20220221_155417928.jpg

Who else is excited? And who else is fishing?

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Cookies look great!
BUT, as I get older I am now affected more by the cold. Went out last week and froze my butt for only 3 hours. It was in the 40’s and drizzle. I used to at least fish 5 hours. Good luck and looking forward to your report.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
As old as I am. I'm good for about an hour. I sit in my camp chair at the edge of small pools on my favorite skinny water and fish. Last time I was there I had on purple haze. Hooked up with a brown, but alas it was a LDR.(n)

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Moses Lake is still frozen across at my house...

Those thinking all the March 1st lakes are gunna be open might be in for a surprise....
Gonna be below freezing until Saturday, the 26th, here in Spokane.
If our area lakes aren't thawed by now it ain't happening by the 1st.:(

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nahhhh. Do us all a favor and go make a loop and report back to us😁 Don't forget to hike down to Dusty...
Yeah, I'll get right on that. :LOL:

My kid actually drove back to his place (Spokane) from Leavenworth today so I asked him to do a quick drive by to Quincy & Burke. He said the north gate was locked. And that the south gate was locked due to vandalism. I forgot they keep that thing locked during the winter.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Moses Lake is still frozen across at my house...

Those thinking all the March 1st lakes are gunna be open might be in for a surprise....
Ice tents still on Moses Lake yesterday. March 1st - open water. Sure - the Columbia River at Vantage - upstream and downstream too.

@Shawn Seeger - I still get excited about fishing trips but not really the "opener". If weather allows and I feel up to it, I fish 12 months a year. Last winter I caught trout on Basin lakes every month of the winter (we had frozen lakes but the ice factor was short duration). I make an annual trip to BC (Milehighresort.com) every year. Lots of meal preparation before the trip, three of us take turns providing the evening meal and share breakfasts. We missed two years because of this ....... virus. Not this year!! Heck, I'm excited for you and your buddies.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was at Potholes State Park a week ago today and the lake was still frozen along with the other nearby lakes. The campground has 121 campsites and I was the only camper in the park! The ranger took me to a campsite that had the snow removed that day, it was one of the quietest nights ever!

Here at the ranch I measured 24" of snow on Friday and got about 3 more inches during the night. Ice will be around for quite a while yet. February isn't leaving without a battle...

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
The "Seeger Effect" is giving it a brutal last gasp.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So, I know my wife loves me and supports my addiction! She knows how important the March opener is for me.

(It's getting close enough I am struggling to sleep, with excitement!! And cleaning and packing gear)

She had been pre-cooking meals and goodies to get me started!

View attachment 6252
View attachment 6251
View attachment 6253
View attachment 6250

Who else is excited? And who else is fishing?
My wife always makes me a big batch of chocolate chip cookies.! She's gonna crackup when she sees your photo!
I'm going...At this point I'm not sure when I'm leaving. It will depend on the ice reports. So keep 'em coming guys.

longputt

Steelhead
In our part of E WA we really had only a few days of extreme cold but for some reason the ice was exceptionally thick. Maybe no wind? I got a rude surprise when I hit the ice with a maul to open up a duck hunting spot.

Maybe need to invest in these: https://icesaw.com

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
In our part of E WA we really had only a few days of extreme cold but for some reason the ice was exceptionally thick. Maybe no wind? I got a rude surprise when I hit the ice with a maul to open up a duck hunting spot.

Maybe need to invest in these: https://icesaw.com
How long do you think it will take me to saw out a section large enough for a 9' pontoon boat?

longputt

Steelhead
How long do you think it will take me to saw out a section large enough for a 9' pontoon boat?
If you start on the March opener....about mid April!

I'm not sure, I've never tried one, but I've used a chain saw a few times and didn't care much for the experience. That one looks pretty small to me, they made big ice saws for cold storage in the 1800's and I think they were pretty fast. If you could find one of those it might work.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I was at Potholes State Park a week ago today and the lake was still frozen along with the other nearby lakes. The campground has 121 campsites and I was the only camper in the park! The ranger took me to a campsite that had the snow removed that day, it was one of the quietest nights ever!

Here at the ranch I measured 24" of snow on Friday and got about 3 more inches during the night. Ice will be around for quite a while yet. February isn't leaving without a battle...
Heard it was still mostly ice. Were you able to fish? I guess the wasteway is probably clear, right?