Open Seat Wed 2/2

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
It's been a brutal winter. I haven't been able to fish much. Hell, I haven't been outdoors much lately.

Things are finally starting to settle down and I am in desperate need of some time on the water.

Weather looks good for Wed, so I'm going fishing. Not gonna be warm, and looks like there will be some rain, but no wind so I'm going. In honor of our new home here I figured I'd throw up an open seat if anyone would like to join.

Plan to launch in the south sound around first light and have no expected time table for return, so don't be on a schedule.

Hit me up if you'd like to get out. No promises on the day other than it'll be fun and I won't sell any of the conversations had onboard.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
PM Sent.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice Nick. For sure need to get back to this culture. I remember there was a time that if you didnt have fishing plans by Wednesday WFF acted like a bulletin board for buddies old and new to hang out with. Met all my friends in that hay day. I would take you up but like you I am focusing on a few things before I hit it this summer.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Super fun day on the water with @Jake

Weather turned out pretty much perfect. Clouds, patchy fog, little to no rain, no wind to speak of and not as cold as I expected. I'll take that any day, especially for February!

Fishing was....interesting. We caught fish all through the day, but mostly a one here two there situation. No real consistent action. Well, landing of fish anyway.

Fish just seemed lazy and not at all aggressive. Saw plenty of fish come up, had about a thousand lazy follows, and missed, if my count is right, 94647645674 half assed grabs. Fish showed lazy interest in just about everything we threw at them, but getting them to commit aggressively to anything was tough.

Such is life fishing the sound for src this time of year.

Didn't see a single coho all day, and checked out several areas where I would fully expect to find some this time of year. I'm fairly out of the loop this winter but so far doesn't seem like a great rezzie year. Still need to explore some areas though, perhaps they just shifted patterns.

Only took one fish pic all day. Was kinda lazy in the photo department.

Was really good for my soul to get my boat out on the water and spend a quiet day on the sound with some great company. Definitely needed it.

20220202_125539-01.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Many of my fish felt a bit wooden, but with your encouragement I was able to branch out and stick with it. Tree fish to hand under such conditions is nothing to bark at, and they were all duly logged.

Being an intermediate angler, next time I’ll bring an intermediate line instead of the S3. Turns out that really means “Sticks 3x more likely than fish”.

Thank you for a great day on the water,

J

Last edited: