One Down, One To Go

Replicant

Steelhead
I got my Merriam's with a Winchester Model 97 16 gauge made in 1904. Now for my Rio.
Love this! I need to get into Turkey hunting. The gun, of course is the icing on the cake. While settling my late father's estate, I distributed and auctioned off his guns. He had four 97's, two were special order, one was an original riot, and the fourth was a field grade from 1899. They were all 12's though. The 16 is pretty cool. Congratulations.

Cliff

Steelhead
Love this! I need to get into Turkey hunting. The gun, of course is the icing on the cake. While settling my late father's estate, I distributed and auctioned off his guns. He had four 97's, two were special order, one was an original riot, and the fourth was a field grade from 1899. They were all 12's though. The 16 is pretty cool. Congratulations.
Thanks Replicant. Your dad's guns sounded like sweet rides. I collect and hunt with vintage/classic American shotguns, and I go way back with the 97. My first recollection of them was in the late 1950's when my dad was an SPD officer. He'd come home for lunch and his prowler car would have a 97 locked into the dash. Later, when he was a homicide & robbery detective he'd work late on steakouts and come in the door with a Model 97 riot gun and a paper sack filled with cardboard cased 00 buckshot. Later on, when I was around 21, I bought my own cut-down Model 97 12ga. It had some mechanical issues so I traded it off. But I never forgot about them. About five years ago I bought a really sweet Model 97 in 12ga from DJ's. It was made in 1914. I took a turkey with it two years ago. Since I'm primarily a 16ga guy I watched Gunbroker like a hawk and found this 16ga last year. It's a beautiful 97. Having said all of this, my go-to upland guns are old, nickel-steel Winchester Model 12's in 16ga. I have one with a regular barrel made in 1914 and a solid rib one made in 1917. Nothing carries and swings like a nickel-steel Model 12 in 16ga.

To me, the 97 is a nice turkey gun because of the external hammer, sort of like an ambidextrous gun. The turkey I shot this year was taken from a blind off my right shoulder (I normally shoot left handed due to my dominant left eye). They sort of lend themself to turkey hunting. Next week I'll be chasing turkey number two with an old Remington Model 11 Sportsman, in 16ga (A5 clone).

Cliff

Last edited:

Replicant

Steelhead
Thanks Replicant. Your dad's guns sounded like sweet rides. I collect and hunt with vintage/classic American shotguns, and I go way back with the 97. My first recollection of them was in the late 1950's when my dad was an SPD officer. He'd come home for lunch and his prowler car would have a 97 locked into the dash. Later, when he was a homicide & robbery detective he'd work late on steakouts and come in the door with a Model 97 riot gun and a paper sack filled with cardboard cased 00 buckshot. Later on, when I was around 21, I bought my own cut-down Model 97 12ga. It had some mechanical issues so I traded it off. But I never forgot about them. About five years ago I bought a really sweet Model 97 in 12ga from DJ's. It was made in 1914. I took a turkey with it two years ago. Since I'm primarily a 16ga guy I watched Gunbroker like a hawk and found this 16ga last year. It's a beautiful 97. Having said all of this, my go-to upland guns are old, nickel-steel Winchester Model 12's in 16ga. I have one with a regular barrel made in 1914 and a solid rib one made in 1917. Nothing carries and swings like a nickel-steel Model 12 in 16ga.

To me, the 97 is a nice turkey gun because of the external hammer, sort of like an ambidextrous gun. The turkey I shot this year was taken from a blind off my right shoulder (I normally shoot left handed due to my dominant left eye). They sort of lend themself to turkey hunting. Next week I'll be chasing turkey number two with an old Remington Model 11 Sportsman, in 16ga (A5 clone).

Cliff
Wow, there is a lot to unpack here. Interesting history about your dad, and a time in Seattle that people today would struggle to comprehend. Your mentioning of collecting/hunting with classic American shotguns is very much inline with how my dad hunted. He regularly broke 100 straight in trap and had at one point surpassed 400. It's hard to figure out what his focus was, but the Model 12, Model 42 and Browning Superposed were all up there. I auctioned off 13 model 12's, in 12, 20, 16 and 28 gauge. A couple of them were beyond rare and definitely museum pieces. He had four model 42's (.410 only), and it was typical of him to take a model 42 out on opening day of duck season where he would shoot his limit. Back then, it was seven birds. I held on to a few guns that I could actually shoot (I'm left-handed to a fault), but none of the pumps. One of the model 12's was a WSP riot with correct, stenciled numbers on the stock and factory roll-stamped 'Washington State Patrol' on the receiver. It did very well at auction. Speaking of your dad, I also auctioned off a Model 31 - 6 shot revolver caliber .38 Special with 3 1/2” barrel, stamped SPD, with an additional serial number. You also mentioned DJ's. Is this the shop in Bothell? Where I spent way too much time, hanging out and listening to my dad explain to Bruce the intricate details of what was correct or incorrect on whatever gun Bruce wanted an opinion on? Speaking of 97's, I had watched a Youtube video a while back about guys who were pursuing the Himalayan Snow-cock down in the Ruby Mtn's of Nevada. This is basically mountaineering with a gun strapped to your back, pursuing a bird that most likely won't be there. The guy found one, way up in the craggy peaks and took it with a model 97. They aren't the lightest guns in the world, but I thought that was pretty cool. I duck hunt with my left-handed model 1100 Remington, from 1984 (Christmas present from dad), but I do most of my upland bird with a modern Benelli M2 in 20g (sub 6 pounds), or one of two 50s era Superposed O/U's. Occasionally, I will take out my model 21 sxs, but God forbid I hurt it. :cool: Also, I don't think the 16 is going away anytime soon.

Cliff

Steelhead
Wow, there is a lot to unpack here. Interesting history about your dad, and a time in Seattle that people today would struggle to comprehend. Your mentioning of collecting/hunting with classic American shotguns is very much inline with how my dad hunted. He regularly broke 100 straight in trap and had at one point surpassed 400. It's hard to figure out what his focus was, but the Model 12, Model 42 and Browning Superposed were all up there. I auctioned off 13 model 12's, in 12, 20, 16 and 28 gauge. A couple of them were beyond rare and definitely museum pieces. He had four model 42's (.410 only), and it was typical of him to take a model 42 out on opening day of duck season where he would shoot his limit. Back then, it was seven birds. I held on to a few guns that I could actually shoot (I'm left-handed to a fault), but none of the pumps. One of the model 12's was a WSP riot with correct, stenciled numbers on the stock and factory roll-stamped 'Washington State Patrol' on the receiver. It did very well at auction. Speaking of your dad, I also auctioned off a Model 31 - 6 shot revolver caliber .38 Special with 3 1/2” barrel, stamped SPD, with an additional serial number. You also mentioned DJ's. Is this the shop in Bothell? Where I spent way too much time, hanging out and listening to my dad explain to Bruce the intricate details of what was correct or incorrect on whatever gun Bruce wanted an opinion on? Speaking of 97's, I had watched a Youtube video a while back about guys who were pursuing the Himalayan Snow-cock down in the Ruby Mtn's of Nevada. This is basically mountaineering with a gun strapped to your back, pursuing a bird that most likely won't be there. The guy found one, way up in the craggy peaks and took it with a model 97. They aren't the lightest guns in the world, but I thought that wahunt upland s pretty cool. I duck hunt with my left-handed model 1100 Remington, from 1984 (Christmas present from dad), but I do most of my upland bird with a modern Benelli M2 in 20g (sub 6 pounds), or one of two 50s era Superposed O/U's. Occasionally, I will take out my model 21 sxs, but God forbid I hurt it. :cool: Also, I don't think the 16 is going away anytime soon.
Great stories. You don't see too many S&W 31's in .38 Special, most of them were .32., and having one with SPD markings is quite a find! I still have my dad's issue Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece". He was able to purchase it from the dept when he retired. I attend an informal shoot every May with a bunch of old friends in Kettle Falls, and we had a "vintage centerfire revolver" contest two years ago. I took second place with my dad's issue revolver, losing out to a guy shooting a 1952 K-38. Love those old revolvers. Your dad sure had a great eye for classic guns and the fact that he used them is even cooler. DJ's was fun. I say was because I believe they are inching closer to shutting down. Bruce passed away in January of 2021. The place has been open only 4 hours a day since then, and the stock has dwindled to about half as many firearms than they used to have. Yup, 97's aren't light, and that's why I bought mine in 16 gauge. Same frame but barrel is thinner and shorter so it makes the gun seem smaller. It would be pretty heavy up in the mountains. I hunt upland birds over an English setter and my go-to is my old nickel-steel Model 12 in 16ga. I may try the 97 out on chukar this coming season, but it'll always play second fiddle to my Model 12 for chukar. Been nice chatting with you.