Olympic Peninsula Water Levels

Yhandi

Smolt
Hi all, Im considering my options to see if there is any real chance of finding fishable steelhead water with these massive downpours we are getting. I want to leave for a trip to the Olympic Peninsula on the 28th, but I don't have much experience there, as I stick to the Cascade mountains for my fly fishing. I do not know how bad the water levels will be there in the next few days, as it is my understanding that these rivers get a lot of rain, and rely less on a snowpack than we do in the Cascades. Thus, I assume that the rivers over there take more kindly to getting a lot of rain. Obviously, the rivers will still be high, but will they be fishable?
Yhandi

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
You would be well advised to choose another time. The highest I have ever considered fishing the Hoh was a little over 4000 cfs. It is currently running at above 22,000 and more rain is predicted.

Shad

Life of the Party
Agreed. Early January is looking like the next time the conditions MIGHT be fishable. Hoh ususally takes longer to come back into shape than the Quil. system, so factor that into your planning....

Divad

Whitefish
My trip got delayed too, but I am happy to wait it out. When schools are back in session, fishing gets better (y)

Also thank you for the photo @Thomas Mitchell , hello chocolate milk

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
My trip got delayed too, but I am happy to wait it out. When schools are back in session, fishing gets better (y)

Also thank you for the photo @Thomas Mitchell , hello chocolate milk
No prob. Happy to provide real-time feedback when I'm out here which is about 30-40% of the time, weighted heavily towards when fishing is decent.

Those levels are kind of a 'normal' high water event. Last Nov. it got close to 10' higher out back.