Old fly line for articulated hooks?

rooftop

Smolt
I lost my full sink line to a prop recently, but I still have about half of the running line left. I've used braid for the trailing hook on articulated streamers but wondered if anyone has ever tried old fly line. Seems like it would be a little stiffer and should be quite strong. I suppose I could try and find out, but figured I'd ask about anyone else's experience first.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
roof,

Like the Dr. says, I think the fly line would be bulky and not allow for good movement. I use Dacron ( old used fly reel backing ) for my larger Steelhead or Bass Articulated flies. That said, I save all my old flylines and use them as cordage, around, the house, shop, camper, backpack and hammock camp set up. It is amazing how many uses for that old flyline I find.

Merry Christmas all.

Bob

rooftop

Smolt
Thanks for the advice. My fly shop recommended converting the remainder into sink tips. I'll go with that route.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen people make lanyards or bracelets out of old fly line. Could go that route if you’re interested.

I’ve also had reels that didn’t balance well on a given rod so I would add some lead core line to the reel under the backing. You could do similar with a sinking line.