Old Broodstock Rainbows? 2/2/2023

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Sad thing is that lake and others around it could be a treasured preasious wild cutthroat fisheries if it were not for them damn aquarium fish and DNR culverts.

I agree.
That is probably true of many lakes that have or had at one time inlets or outlets that provided spawning habitat.
Thankfully there are still some left.
SF

Last edited:

Peatbog

Smolt
In its glory days, Larry used to put in very nice, very big rainbows. I think some were Kamloops, Donaldson and steelhead. My best from years gone by was 28”.....he had a picture of a 34” C&R’d!
Before Larry, I would row my little polliwog pond boat over to the big underwater logs and trick big natural cutthroat into coming out of hiding and eat my PaynSave brown wooly bigger. I would respectfully argue that the glory days were of the time of the man the lake was named after. I have learned over the years that the joy of fishing is directly related to a point of reference as is so much in life.

The last time I stopped by there I sat and giggled on the launch a few years after it was sold. There were probably a dozen float tubes one of which had one of the old Fishing Buddy sideways fish finder hanging off his float tube and he was enthralled. He was kicking and screaming every which way, never looking up from the tiny little screen and of course there were a couple others chasing him. The new point in time if you will.

I did play with one of those Fishing Buddies on a drift boat on the mighty Nisqally river so all I could was laugh with not at the fellow.

Last edited:

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I guess the bottom line question is whether we are getting our money's worth from the hatcheries or not. Those of us who fish lakes that are planted by the Satsop Springs hatchery would likely generally agree that we are getting more than our money's worth from that hatchery, as their fish are of excellent quality. It is said that the Satsop Springs hatchery uses ponds instead of concrete raceways and that results in better fish, but I believe there are other hatcheries with concrete raceways that also produce good quality fish, so I think it is more than just ponds versus concrete raceways. From what was said earlier in this thread, it seems that the fingerlings originate from the same source, so it isn't that the Satsop Springs hatchery starts with better fish. So that leaves over-crowding, under-feeding, poorer water quality, mismanagement or other factors that cause the Eells Springs hatchery fish to be thinner, smaller and often diseased. The planting statistic for the most recent planting was 100 rainbows (0.2 fish per pound, or they should be 5 pounders). I only caught 2 of those rainbows on this latest outing, both 19 inchers, and I didn't weigh them, but I can assure you that they were not anywhere close to 5 pounds and probably not even 4 pounds. Of course, 5 pounds is an average, so some of the fish might be larger and some might be smaller. For those of you who have fished this lake recently, do you feel that the fish average 5 pounds, and do you feel we are getting our money's worth from the Eells Spring hatchery? If not, what do we do about it?

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
Thanks Rex. Yes we can all lobby to replace the entire top management structure of WDFW.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Excuse me if it’s a senior moment but isn’t there a Satsop hatchery and ponds? Seems like I recall both listings.....

Smalma

Life of the Party
In the Jasmillo photos every fin that I can see show evidence of some fin deformation. Though to be fair most show some fin regrowth from that more friendly rearing environment.

Given it would be difficult/expensive to release surplus brood stock that do not show the wear and tear of extended rearing and the effects of spawning on the fish to be released.

So, the question would be better for WDFW to discontinue the practice of releasing surplus brood stock? Surplus steelhead?

Curt

skyrise

Steelhead
In the Jasmillo photos every fin that I can see show evidence of some fin deformation. Though to be fair most show some fin regrowth from that more friendly rearing environment.

Given it would be difficult/expensive to release surplus brood stock that do not show the wear and tear of extended rearing and the effects of spawning on the fish to be released.

So, the question would be better for WDFW to discontinue the practice of releasing surplus brood stock? Surplus steelhead?

Curt
Ah NO ! Wish they would release brood stock and surplus steelhead up my way. i will take More Opportunity every time ! More lakes open year round too.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Curt
I was pretty excited to land, what I believe, was a surplus "steelhead" in this lake. So, Curt, I personally am happy to see the state continue their practice of releasing surplus fish. Thanks for putting it so well!

used to be a steelhead.jpg

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I can understand that broodstock fish, surplus fish or diseased fish are better than no fish, but maybe we should be lobbying whoever makes the planting decisions to plant this lake with Satsop Springs hatchery fish so we get good quality fish instead of inferior quality fish. Here are a couple of photos of fish that I'm pretty sure were Satsop Springs hatchery fish (caught in a different lake, a general regulation lake):

IMGP5225.JPG

IMGP5606.JPG

These fish not only look 10 times better than the broodstock or surplus fish, but they also fought as well as any fish I've caught up in BC or elsewhere. The lake where these fish were caught is planted with both the Satsop Springs fish and the Eells Springs fish, and even though they are advertised to be the same size, they are not, at least in my experience. The Satsop Springs fish are larger than advertised, and the Eells Springs fish are smaller than advertised and don't look as good.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Excuse me if it’s a senior moment but isn’t there a Satsop hatchery and ponds? Seems like I recall both listings.....

There are two hatcheries. Bingham creek and Satsop Springs.
I can understand that broodstock fish, surplus fish or diseased fish are better than no fish, but maybe we should be lobbying whoever makes the planting decisions to plant this lake with Satsop Springs hatchery fish so we get good quality fish instead of inferior quality fish. Here are a couple of photos of fish that I'm pretty sure were Satsop Springs hatchery fish (caught in a different lake, a general regulation lake):

View attachment 52969

View attachment 52970

These fish not only look 10 times better than the broodstock or surplus fish, but they also fought as well as any fish I've caught up in BC or elsewhere. The lake where these fish were caught is planted with both the Satsop Springs fish and the Eells Springs fish, and even though they are advertised to be the same size, they are not, at least in my experience. The Satsop Springs fish are larger than advertised, and the Eells Springs fish are smaller than advertised and don't look as good.

Rex,
I may be incorrect on this or things might have changed, but I believe the Satsop Springs fish were raised for specific lakes in Grays Harbor and Mason counties. If I recall, it been the same lakes for a number of years and the lake in question isn’t one of them that I know of.
Perhaps reaching out to these folks to see if it is possible might be worth a call or email.
SF

skyrise

Steelhead
Article in NW Sportsman, surplus Steelhead planting in SW lakes. NICE !!!!!!
Wish they would do that up here. Cmon Wallace Hatchery guys, I know you want to.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I C&R’d a huge one from there today, at least 22” big head fairly skinny and just a turd with fins.....but nice seeing you on the water today Northern!
Same to you!
I went back this morning and found some cruising. Dropped my usual streamer out front of the school, and a big girl munched it hard. Dunno if she was in here longer or what, but this one launched herself out of the water twice and made a few runs and dives to boot. Then she proceeded to spray my yak with eggs...so...yes, broodstock?
20230209_120838.jpg