Off Redondo?

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just drove past and wondering what all the kayaks and rafts are fishing for a few hundred feet off shore?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen some recent catch pictures. Some nice size squid this winter. Used to do that a lot back in the day with my pops.
A good, fun way to spend a cold winter night on a dock.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Nope have not surfed since I was a kid. I fish that stretch of beach from RAT beach/palos verdes to Topaz Jetty about twice a week because it is close to my house.
I remember a post you shared about your car hauler trailer (hinged trailer tongue) - are you wading/shore casting flies? Boat? I've seen several folks fishing gear (Avenue C life guard station). Next time I come down here I'm bringing some kind of fishing gear ;-)

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Nope have not surfed since I was a kid. I fish that stretch of beach from RAT beach/palos verdes to Topaz Jetty about twice a week because it is close to my house.
I walked down Avenue F this evening to watch the surf: pretty amazing. There were a few surfers down by the rip rap breakwater, daring folks I guess.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I grew up near there. Rode my bike to RAT, hated riding it back up that ramp. Could be pretty sporty going down too, if it’s sandy.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
’ve seen some recent catch pictures. Some nice size squid this winter. Used to do that a lot back in the day with my pops.
A good, fun way to spend a cold winter night on a dock.
Curious what squid jigs and other gear were employed back in the day. 5-6 years ago a buddy and I were in a fairly regular habit of heading to one of the downtown piers after work between Nov. and Jan. for some squid. Actually used to make some of my own jigs. More labor intensive than tying flies in some ways.

1703833370660.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Curious what squid jigs and other gear were employed back in the day. 5-6 years ago a buddy and I were in a fairly regular habit of heading to one of the downtown piers after work between Nov. and Jan. for some squid. Actually used to make some of my own jigs. More labor intensive than tying flies in some ways.

View attachment 97074

The squid jigs we used just had plastic bodies, not the reflective Mylar that many have now like the ones in your picture.
If I recall correctly, the hooks were wider and there were less of them as well than on the newer jigs.
SF

Buzzy

Forum Supporter

View attachment 97074
Very cool, do you gang them together? I had a lot of fun jigging squid when I lived in the Bremerton area.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I almost always fished just one jig, but a fair number of people liked to run a smaller weighed jig or a plastic one above a heavier jig.